Weird symptom with 1655 cdspeed scan

I took the pictures from this post by gammalost. linkie

Pay attention to the read speed(green line). The drive keeps spinning down during the scan in the second picture, whereas the drive only spins down once in the first picture.

Is this normal?

1655 BCIB here.

Many thanks.

These effects were introduced in firmwares subsequents to BSLB.

If you install the BSLB firmware these should disappear. These are nothing to be worried however :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;1929062]These effects were introduced in firmwares subsequents to BSLB.

If you install the BSLB firmware these should disappear. These are nothing to be worried however :)[/QUOTE]

I have the 1655, not thr 1640. I took the pictures from another person’s post. :o

EDIT: this is a picture of mine. The drive keeps spinning down with this T03 disc. Funny I tried to scan a T02 disc and it spun down only once at the beginning.

oopps :doh:

This issue is common also in 1655 drives, but if I’m not wrong there is no firmware able to eliminate it.

[quote=geno888;1929079]This issue is common also in 1655 drives, but if I’m not wrong there is no firmware able to eliminate it.[/quote] Unfortunately you’re not wrong.

My BenQ DW1655 will scan with only one dip at 137 MB most of the time when scanning at 8x (CAV) but will sometimes dip many times; once in a blue moon it will perform a scan entirely without dips. If I scan the same disc again at the same speed without removing the disc from the drive first, the dip at 137 MB is back.

AFAIK nobody has figured out any way to fix this annoyance with BenQ DW1655/1650 drives.

thanks for the replies, mates.

I rebooted the computer and re-scanned the same T03 disc. The drive spun down only once (at the beginning), and the scan result was similar.

I’ll take it that this behavior does not affect the scan results.

Many thanks.

[quote=Darth Boy;1929110]I’ll take it that this behavior does not affect the scan results.[/quote] Depends. Often you’ll get a phantom jitter spike when the drive speeds down and up again, and sometimes (rarely) you can also get a phantom PIE/PIF spike at the same location.

Many scanning dips will make the total scanning time longer than a scan with no dips.

[quote=geno888;1929062]These effects were introduced in firmwares subsequents to BSLB.

If you install the BSLB firmware these should disappear. These are nothing to be worried however :)[/quote]

What version is that?

Life is short. Play hard.

[QUOTE=DeathBlueRay;1929394]What version is that?

Life is short. Play hard.
[/QUOTE]

BSLB is a firmware for the benq 1640 drive. Initially I thought (based on the pics posted) that [I]Darth Boy[/I] was referring to that drive but I was wrong because he was referring to the 1655 :slight_smile: