Weird Rings

First of all, I’d like to apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum, or is discussed elsewhere under a different name. I did a few mild searches but found none of the problems I encountered.

Anyways, I have an SOHW-832S. I’ve been using the Code Gusy CG5G and J firmwares and I’m also currently using the lite on VS0M firmware. I’m using Verbatim 8x DVD-Rs (not +) and a media code of MCC02RG20. After I burn a CD, I would get these weird rings on the the bottom of the disc. If I were to say that the non burned areas are the darkest and the burned areas are the lightest, these rings will fade to dark and fade back into light purple. These rings always appear closer to the outer edge rather than the inner edge. They vary in intensity, so sometimes the rings may be very faint, and other times they rings will be so pronounced, that the data doesn’t copy correctly and I get a CRC error in Windows Explorer when I copy something, or errors in various disc image ripping programs (Alcohol and DVD Decryptor). I’ve made quite a few coasters, and this has become too much of a nuisance.

As far as I can tell, the drive didn’t start doing this until I started burning a bunch of DVDs, in which case it became a gradual thing. Gradually creating this ring on more and more discs.

Any help is appreciated

bad dye on the disc normally

these rings have occured on discs from two spindles. A friend of mine who has a spindle from the same store hasn’t had a problem. I’m thinking it may not be a dye issue.

Backup your EEPROM and try a reset learn using the [thread=112103]EEPROM Utility v3[/thread].

Ah! That seemed to work. Thanks a lot.