Weird problem with DVD-RW

Hi, there’s my problem:

If I try to erase a DVD-RW Nero says:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N: This disc is not rewritable and therefore cannot be erased. Please insert a rewritable disc.

I I try to burn a DVD-RW the message is:

Sorry, your compilation cannot be written on this kind of disc. Please insert a disc of the correct type or modify the settings of your compilation to make it compatible with the current disc.

An then, if I try to continue a multisession disc (rewritable or not) it says:

“the disc is not writable, please try another one”

• It’s a DVD-RW disc, that’s for sure. The problem is not the disc because that happens with ALL DVD-RW. Furthermore, the problem doesn’t appear on my laptop.
  • It happened with all versions of Nero I had. I have tried with another burning software and the problem persists so, it’s not nero’s fault.
  • The burner is a brand new LG DVDRAM GSA-H10N. I have changed today because I thought it was a hardware problem.

So… it seems to me something is wrong with Windows. But what? ASPI drivers seem OK. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

More info:

Making a scandisc with Nero CD-DVD speed a DVD-RW appears as a DVD-ROM :rolleyes: . I’ve read somewhere the problem may be BIOS related.

It looks like a media recognition problem, probably caused by a virtual drive program like Alcohol or Daemon Tools. How to solve? Thanks for helping me so much.

Unlikely to be Daemon Tools but I think that Alcohol can cause problems sometimes. Try removing it totally.

Sometimes DvdInfo Pro will be able to format the disk where Nero fails.

What is the brand & Media ID of the RW media you’re using?

I uninstalled Alcohol 120 but didn’t work out. Then I tried to install a new version and appeared an option to fully uninstall Alcohol (!) and then all worked.

Note to people with similar problem: Alcohol caused the media recognition problem, all CD-RW and DVD-RW appeared as CD-ROM and DVD-ROM. Problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Thank you to all above. I have been wracking my brain for the past 5 days trying to figure out what the problem is with my DVD-RW Discs.

I just broke down and installed SP2 to my system. I had re-installed my whole operating system and all software. I had Alcohol 120 on my SP1 system with everything working fine. When I installed all the software on my new system my DVD-RW’s wouldn’t work. I had updated the Alcohol 120 and it seems this has been my problem. I just uninstalled it and behold my DVD RW discs are working again.

I had just come across this FORUM and decided to give it a look. Best thing I’ve done in a long time.

Many Many Thanks. I appreciate everyones hard work and advise.

Audiomagician
:bow: :wink:

I encountered the same problems with CD-RW and DVD-RW discs caused by Alcohol. However, there is no need to uninstall it. Just choose the “Emulation” section in the options and uncheck “Ignore media Type” check box. This is the very one thing that causes troubles with the media type recognition.

Wow, thanks for teh tip - i Was almost formatting the whole system.

I have the same problem,The dvd RW and CD RW discs are being read as blank disks.I uninstalled and installed alcohol but the same problem persists.Could you please pm me how excatly did you solve the problem?

thanks for the tips!! I almost formatted my system as well…:stuck_out_tongue:

Tnank you master :bow: I was just about formating my system partition. But now everything works fine :bigsmile:

thanks, TimC and Gregorius, and Formen for reporting the problem.

I wasn’t about to format my hd (crazy, crazy ppl :rolleyes: ), but this was starting to get to me… I knew it was software related because I could burn and erase my discs in Safe Mode (ide controller switched to PIO mode – slooooow), but not in normal mode (got the same error as formen in nero and a similar one in clonecd). just didn’t know which software thingy was the cause.

I uninstalled alco120 completely, despite the mentioned solution, as I don’t really use it that much anymore.

anyways, thanks guys! :clap:

happy 2007.

Wow, thanks guys. Y’all are life savers…I have some VERY important data (I’m a recording engineer) that I had to burn to a DVD disc for a session and was all !@#!!$$@$…Crap saying I had a “DVD-ROM” inserted…

Anyways, uninstalled Alcohol and all is well :slight_smile:

PERFECT SOLUTION…!

[QUOTE=Gregorius;1566046]I encountered the same problems with CD-RW and DVD-RW discs caused by Alcohol. However, there is no need to uninstall it. Just choose the “Emulation” section in the options and uncheck “Ignore media Type” check box. This is the very one thing that causes troubles with the media type recognition.[/QUOTE]

Thank You!!!:bow::bow::bow:

Alcohol is still a bugged software - there are even better copying softwares…

same with DAEMON tools, just click EMULATION “ALL OPTIONS off” when you work with RW’s!

Anyway, i’ve bought new DVDRW drive because i thought my old one didn’t function right… Whatta idiot!!!