Weird problem. Only 8000MB available on a DL DVD

This is a weird error I came by a week ago with DVD Fab HD decrypter (free version):

I tried to backup Back to the Future II (region 2), whose size was 8096MB or something like that. Then, when I tried to backup in Full DVD mode (DVD to DVD), DVD fab compressed the DVD by 99%!! Yes, it actually did a 8096MB -> 8000MB compression. When I clicked on start, it actually started compressing instead of making an 1:1 copy as it should.

A DVD has at least 8147MB of storage capacity, so I was within the limit (I am sure about that, and after all, how the heck could it fit in the disc of the original in the first place?).

Now, the big question: Does DVD Fab has a bug that makes it assume a Dual Layer disc has only 8000MB of capacity (that’s 7.81GB against the 7.95 that’s the normal!).

Dvd decrypter did the whole disc (8096MB) with no problems, and Nero recorded it perfectly and with some spare space. So, is this a bug?

Please answer

[QUOTE=kurkosdr;2410325]This is a weird error I came by a week ago with DVD Fab HD decrypter (free version):

I tried to backup [I]Back to the Future II[/I] (region 2), whose size was 8096MB or something like that. Then, [B]when I tried to backup in Full DVD mode (DVD to DVD), DVD fab compressed the DVD by 99%!! Yes, it actually did a 8096MB -> 8000MB compression. When I clicked on start, it actually started compressing instead of making an 1:1 copy as it should.[/B]

[B]A DVD has at least 8147MB of storage capacity, so I was within the limit[/B] (I am sure about that, and after all, how the heck could it fit in the disc of the original in the first place?).

Now, the big question: [B]Does DVD Fab has a bug that makes it assume a Dual Layer disc has only 8000MB of capacity (that’s 7.81GB against the 7.95 that’s the normal!).[/B]

Dvd decrypter did the whole disc (8096MB) with no problems, and Nero recorded it perfectly and with some spare space. So, is this a bug?

Please answer[/QUOTE]

No bug…just go into Common Settings > Write.

Near the bottom of that screen you’ll note that the program can be configured for size for both Single layer and Dual layer disks, depending on what you want/need for a rip.

It’s there so people can allow themselves a buffer for non-DVD compliant disks.

Besides, the normal human eye (and ear) can’t tell the difference between 99% (1% compression) and 100% (no compression).

OC

:slight_smile:

I use the plat. version and 8000 is the default size for a DL. Click the green check and select write you can change it there ( if it works the same as mine?) IMHO you should leave it at 8000 however, most errors occur out on the outer edge of the disk and you’ll never see a 1% compression.

Don’t know if it a bug but I do know in common settings write you have an option for DL size and default is 8000mb. I am not using the free version so am unsure if you can change the output size

Looks like we all answered at same time:D

Sorry OC, typing at the same time I guess :doh:

[QUOTE=90312;2410347]Sorry OC, typing at the same time I guess :doh:[/QUOTE]

Then I feel sorry for you, as I am S L O W as he-- typing.

OC

:bigsmile:

Thanks for the bunch of replies. Unfortunately, no “write” option in the free version, only “read”. Guess I 'll have to go platinum. Or back to DVD decrypter.

[QUOTE=OCanada;2410343]
Besides, the normal human eye (and ear) can’t tell the difference between 99% (1% compression) and 100% (no compression).[/QUOTE]Sure, but the initial 100% video (no compression) was done by a professional studio with the use of a 2 pass filter and professional codecs. The 99% video (1% compression) is done by some amateur home codec, with one pass encoding and (most important) tuned for speed rahter than accuracy. So it’s not the 1% loss over the bitrate that’s bothering me, but the quality of the video that may be reduced due to “hasty” re-encoding done by dvdfab.

most errors occur out on the outer edge of the disk
Again, reducing the size of the DVD by 147 megs is dumb. I mean, some people might want to use the whole capacity of the dvd once in a while, and I never had failures with good media (I also write at slow speeds). And by the way, I don’t think it was intended to protect the user from bad media. Someone simply messed it up in the size conversion in Fengtao and inserted the wrong size, I guess. After all, the “dectypter” (free) version can’t record into dvd, just copy to harddisk. These makes the “error protection” quite pointless, especially if you want to archive the dvd in a removable harddisk.

[QUOTE=kurkosdr;2410363]Thanks for the bunch of replies. Unfortunately, no “write” option in the free version, only “read”. Guess I 'll have to go platinum. Or back to DVD decrypter.

Sure, but the initial 100% video (no compression) was done by a professional studio with the use of a 2 pass filter and professional codecs. The 99% video (1% compression) is done by some amateur home codec, with one pass encoding and (most important) tuned for speed rahter than accuracy. So it’s not the 1% loss over the bitrate that’s bothering me, but the quality of the video that may be reduced due to “hasty” re-encoding done by dvdfab.

Again, reducing the size of the DVD by 147 megs is dumb. I mean, some people might want to use the whole capacity of the dvd once in a while, and I never had failures with good media (I also write at slow speeds). And by the way, I don’t think it was intended to protect the user from bad media. Someone simply messed it up in the size conversion in Fengtao and inserted the wrong size, I guess. After all, the “dectypter” (free) version can’t record into dvd, just copy to harddisk. These makes the “error protection” quite pointless, especially if you want to archive the dvd in a removable harddisk.[/QUOTE]

Two points…

1.) It may be an “amateur home codec with one pass encoding”, but the only way to preserve the original as close as possible is to use Clone mode (and I don’t know if the copy protection removal entails a quick trip through the encoder or not - Fengtao isn’t revealing his secrets…).

2.) 147 MB may or may not be dumb, but it is fully configurable for the user, and that makes it useful. If you were setting a ‘default write size’ for strangers for a DVD, while making it user configurable, I’d be interested in seeing what you chose, and why. (not everyone uses quality media - just look at the posts in this forum).

OC

[QUOTE=OCanada;2410441]
1.) It may be an “amateur home codec with one pass encoding”, but the only way to preserve the original as close as possible is to use Clone mode (and I don’t know if the copy protection removal entails a quick trip through the encoder or not - Fengtao isn’t revealing his secrets…).[/QUOTE]
Now you got me thinking. Anyway, I saw a clear difference in the process between 100% copy and 99%. I the 100%, dvd fab seems to simply copy he files, I haven’t noticed any cpu usage that would imply any compression. Yes, it removes some content (non playable, such as fake files and so) but i don’t think it edits/re-encodes anything. However, in the 99% copy, it clearly “analyzed” the disc before copying, aka it compressed and edited. So it seems that the 100% is as it says, and exact copy of the original, but as with everything in proprietary software, you can never be sure. But from the way it appears to be working, probably it’s an exact copy.

I would use the standard. 8147MB. If I also made a video camera, I wouldn’t make it stop in 1h 20mins just because some bad media may cause it to not write the last 10 minutes of the tape. It would be a problem on the user’s end. And the default write size is not configurable in the free version, so it kind of forces people to go plat. And it doesn’t make sense when copying to HDD

[QUOTE=kurkosdr;2413166]Now you got me thinking. Anyway, I saw a clear difference in the process between 100% copy and 99%. I the 100%, dvd fab seems to simply copy he files, I haven’t noticed any cpu usage that would imply any compression. Yes, it removes some content (non playable, such as fake files and so) but i don’t think it edits/re-encodes anything. However, in the 99% copy,[B] it clearly “analyzed” the disc before copying, aka it compressed and edited.[/B] So it seems that the 100% is as it says, and exact copy of the original, but as with everything in proprietary software, you can never be sure. But from the way it appears to be working, probably it’s an exact copy.

I would use the standard. 8147MB. If I also made a video camera, I wouldn’t make it stop in 1h 20mins just because some bad media may cause it to not write the last 10 minutes of the tape. It would be a problem on the user’s end. And the default write size is not configurable in the free version, so it kind of forces people to go plat. And it doesn’t make sense when copying to HDD[/QUOTE]

That analysis you’re referring to is not only for compression, it also finalizes the copy protection isolation and sets up a temporary table for any bad cells or PGCs.

Let’s face it…if we could afford professional equipment, we would see a noticeable difference between the original and even a cloned copy, as the tracks and bit information are all neatly and clearly laid out in the original. The bit information on a burned copy looks almost haphazard in comparison, and some have even commented that it’s amazing it can be read at all.

In actual use, there are probably a lot of dropped bits in the translation from decoding to presentation, but on commercially available monitors, it’s hard to see.

It’s been a long while since I’ve played with the HD Decrypter version of the program, but you’re right…the size isn’t configurable. Nor is Clone Mode available. (Consider that the pitch to buy the full version).

Re copying to the HD with the size restriction, you’re right…it doesn’t make much sense…maybe you could add an item to the feature request section for a Decrypter that’ll rip to the full D/L size, and not just the arbitrary 8000 MB.

OC