Weird issue with Vista 64

vbimport

Hi,

I finally made the plunge to Vista 64. My Samsung S203N works great, except for one thing.

When you load a disc, generally you expect 3 things to happen:

1. icon on disc drive updates to reflect disc
  2. volume label updates to reflect disc
  3. right-click context menu updates to reflect type of disc

This is not happening. For example, if I boot the computer up into Vista and then put a data DVD into the drive, these things are not happening. BUT I can still open the drive and browse/use its contents.

However, if I restart the computer with a disc in the drive, it WILL show as in the drive once Windows starts. But if I then take that disc out of the drive and either replace it or just leave the drive empty, it still shows the previous disc as being in there (and its relevant context menu).

So in other words the “Computer” explorer only seems to scan once at reboot for the contents of the disc and disc type, to update the icon, volume label, and context menu. Other software (such as DVDShrink) does recognize the volume labels of newly inserted discs, even if Windows Explorer doesn’t.

I’ve only had this drive for a week… and I don’t have this issue with my 3+ year old Lite-On IDE drive if I try to use it with Vista.

Also, this is a bit off-topic but I don’t want to start a new thread.

My old Lite-On, which is in general much slower than the new Samsung, could rip a DVD-9 with DVDShrink (no compression) in under 10 minutes, IIRC. The S203N takes closer to 20 minutes (but is faster when just reading data discs). What gives?

Hi,

the issue you described in post #1 is related to Windows and the drivers that are used for your Sata controller.

Regarding #2: Try C0deKing’s patcher to increase read speeds. You might also do some search in this forum, since this was discussed often enough here :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2058160]the issue you described in post #1 is related to Windows and the drivers that are used for your Sata controller.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I suspected that might be the case.

I just updated all my mobo’s drivers and the problem persists. The mobo is ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. Any more ideas?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2058160]the issue you described in post #1 is related to Windows and the drivers that are used for your Sata controller.[/QUOTE]

Aagh, this is driving me so crazy. I’ve spent every bit of free time I had the last 3 days in front of my computer either searching for info about this online, or updating my BIOS and trying every possible solution.

I don’t know how the Windows SATA controller driver could be bad. I am able to communicate with the drive, and OTHER software (DVDShrink for example) will recognize newly inserted discs by updating the volume label. It is only the Windows explorer file browser which will not recognize volume labels unless I reboot the whole machine with the disc in.