Weird EAC write error

hello everyone, I’m having a weird problem here. First , system specs. P4 2.6 512 MB DDR, TDK 440N (1.08 firmware), Windows 2000, all patches.

Basically, I rip a disc…I create a cue sheet for that disc using EAC (cd-text enabled) …then I load that cue sheet into EAC and burn a CD…it works great but only for the FIRST disc…after the first disc burns successfully, if I try to load another cue sheet and burn another disc I immediately get

Write Error

Write Blocks!

Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

however, no information is written to the CD and I can use it later just fine. If I reboot the machine EAC will burn 1 disc fine. Any ideas? right now i’m trying it with the adaptec ASPI drivers to see if that makes a difference.

• thanks

*** UPDATE ***

I tried the same thing wih the TDK 440N with adaptec ASPI drivers enabled…same error

Tried the same thign with my other burner (TDK 321040) and it seems to burn multiple discs in a row fine. So, thusfar I conclude it must be a problem related to the TDK440N and EAC?

It is possible… only Plextor burners are officially supported writers for EAC, though many other writers work perfectly with the program…

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by hannibal82
So, thusfar I conclude it must be a problem related to the TDK440N and EAC?

@eltranquil

Yes, but if hannibal82’s burner wasn’t compatible with EAC at all, it
wouldn’t work the first time, would it?

@hannibal82

I suppose you were already using Win2k’s native SCSI Interface (SPTI) before ASPI?
Does this error occur also in conjunction with other programs (CDRWin, Nero, BlindWrite, etc.)?

are we talking about the latest eac version?
should work with many drives now

yes, I was originally using the Native win2k aspi, and have since went back to it, as the adaptec ASPI made no difference.

yes, latest EAC

no, do not get the same results with other burning programs. Nero 6 can burn CD’s in a row all day long…DVD decrypter burns DVD’s in a row all day long…and my old TDK 32x burner seems to burn multiple cd’s in a row with EAC

I just want to burn CD’s from cuesheets I generated using EAC when I ripped all my discs for backup. On a sidenote, if I import EAC generated cuesheets to Nero, Nero never seems to read them right. every time it sees track2 as “0 MB” and adds an extra track and labels it as data, then when you try to burn you get an error that says it cannot burn the compilation in DAO mode.

thanks

Hi little-endian,

I was thinking of an issue
related with some ‘reset’-type
command…
I didn’t say it in my previous post because
I don’t know anything (unfortunately)
about programming of CD-R(W) devices, so it is just a “shot in the dark”…
Probably you are right, anyway.

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by little-endian

Yes, but if hannibal82’s burner wasn’t compatible with EAC at all, it
wouldn’t work the first time, would it?

could you try this?

http://www.apehaus.com/burrrn/

OK here is an update:

had the same thing happening with Burrrn except burrrn returns a more useful error than EAC. It says it failed specifically during the Power Calibration. When I use my alternate burner, it skips the power calibration and says “power calibration not supported” then proceeds to burn the disc fine.

so , it looks like it is some kind of problem with my 440N and the power calibration, but why only the first time I can’t figure out.

OK, after further investigation I think I have narrowed down the problem:

Test Results:

1. Reboot

2. Burrrn - Success

3. Burrrn - Success

4. EAC - Success

5. EAC - Fail

6. Burrrn - Fail

7. Reboot

8. EAC - Success

9. Burrrn - Fail

10. Reboot

11. EAC - Success

12. EAC - Fail

As you can see from the data, the problem occurs ONLY after EAC has written successfully. Therefore, I can only conclude its a problem with EAC and this TDK 440N . It may be because the 1.08 Firmware is quite new? Also, I reflashed the drive with 1.08 AGAIN just to see if it would make a difference, it did not.

My only guess is that after EAC writes a disc it doesn’t flush the Drives cache or RAM (?) or something properly, which would explain why after a reboot it works once. ideas???

weird (but you already called it that)

i suggest you post the prob and a link to it also on the EAC forum. The author of EAC answer normally very quickly.

@eltranquil

Of course, you’re right. I completely forgot that point. 1:0 for you :slight_smile: I don’t know anything about programming either. But as far as I know, Truman has much experience with ASPI Layer and MSCDEX (supplied by Microsoft). Maybe he knows the reason?!

Besides that it could be a bug in EAC (for example the older version 0.9 prebeta 11 crashes if a newer version of Daemon is installed: Error message: ‘ASPI Range …’).

@hannibal82

It’s no real solution but a workaround:
CDRWin could record your cuesheets (with CD-Text). The only disadvantage would be that it can’t correct write offsets.

“It’s no real solution but a workaround:
CDRWin could record your cuesheets (with CD-Text). The only disadvantage would be that it can’t correct write offsets.”

• Thats exactly what I thought, but from my calculations my TDK440 N has a read offset of +66 and a write offset of 0 . If it has a write offset of 0 I should be OK? I used burrrn to make some discs from EAC cuesheets and the discs came out perfect. The length of the disc was exactly like the original, inlcuding
    pre-gaps. I havn’t done sample comparisons yet

Originally posted by hannibal82
My TDK440 N has a read offset of +66 and a write offset of 0 . If it has a write offset of 0 I should be OK?

Yes, in this case ‘read sample offset’ correction’ and ‘combined read/write sample offset correction’ are the same.

Regards,

ET

@hannibal82

If your burner really has a write offset of 0, the result of CDRWin and EAC would be exactly the same.
But I haven’t encountered such a drive until now, so I would be very surprised.

Please note:
You can’t detect written or read offsets by looking at the cuesheets, because the times will be always the same.

The only way to determine the write offset accurately is to record wave files from your hdd and re-read them with a drive of which you know the read offset for sure (don’t forget to enable the overreading feature in EAC).

Even if your write offset is <> 0 and you use CDRWin to record the CD without any offset correction, no data will be lost (unlike reading a CD without correction!).
You can correct the written offset later when you read from the CD again.