Weird difference between my 2 burners

LOL… Damn thanks for pointing that out. I was already like "This is to good to be true!"
Haha. Okay I will make a rescan. Scanning a DVD+R atm with Plextools though.

Well here is a screenshot from the test I ran on the PX-760SA burner.
Burned media Verbatim DVD+R @ 18x burned.

Dunno if this good or not. Maybe I even picked the wrong test. :stuck_out_tongue:

Screenshot DVD burn

Running the same test on the CDR as we speak. :stuck_out_tongue:

It will take a looooong time :wink: ! (And you have to do it twice, one for Sum8 and another for Sum1 - comparable to PIE and PIF in Nero respectively). Your [I]good [/I]LiteOn is also perfect for quality scanning with Nero (the forum standard [I]scan [/I]speed is 8X for this drive). :slight_smile:

Yeah it took pretty long indeed… :S
I am going to do a scan with the Lite-On though in kProbe, cause the Plextools are taking me way to long and I don’t understand the graphic… :stuck_out_tongue:

The main test to run in Plextools is the PI/PO Test (comparable to what Nero cd-dvd speed and kProbe do). BenQ burners also show Jitter in cd-dvd speed, but for LiteOn you need a seperate utility called DVDScan to test for Jitter.

18X burning will never give you a pretty scan, it’s just asking too much from this technology. The end of the scan (the part that was burned at high speed) always has a lot of errors. Just look here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=187159

Okay did the quality check with my Lite-On burner:

[B]CDR results (done with Nero):[/B]
Algemene informatie
Station: LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S
Firmware: LV4C
Schijftype:: Data CD (Moser Baer)
Geselecteerde snelheid: Maximum
C1 errors
Maximum: 24
gemiddeld: 0.55
Totaal: 2628
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
gemiddeld: 0.00
Totaal: 0
Jitter: n/a
Scan-statistieken
Verlopen tijd: 2:26
Number of samples: 4763
Gemiddeld scan-interval: 1.00 sec
Storingen verwijderd: 0

And as for the burned DVD+R burned at [B]18x[/B] (done with kProbe):
Date : 25-7-2006 15:40:23
Model : 1-0-0-0 H:LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S LV4C
Disc : DVD+R , MCC004 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
Speed : 8x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2291486
Sampling count : 119428
Errors : 0
PI Max : 64
PI Average : 2,12
PI Total : 36238
PIF Max : 8
PIF Average : 0,11
PIF Total : 1834

And as for the burned DVD+R burned at [B]16x[/B] (done with kProbe):
Date : 25-7-2006 16:02:59
Model : 1-0-0-0 H:LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S LV4C
Disc : DVD+R , MCC004 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
Speed : 8x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2270347
Sampling count : 118070
Errors : 0
PI Max : 8
PI Average : 0,36
PI Total : 6020
PIF Max : 7
PIF Average : 0,00
PIF Total : 68

I think it’s safe to say, the Plextor burns better at 16x.
…what do you guys think of it’s performance? I think it’s pretty good, especially compared to the bad Lite-On burner… :slight_smile:

That’s a very good result indeed, but you should try to post the scan images next time :slight_smile: , they tell so much more than these raw figures. I think both the (good) Litey and the Plex do a fine job at burning MCC 004 @16X. And for the LiteOn you can still use SmartBurn to tweak the results with HyperTuning and Online HyperTuning.

For CD-scanning, the LiteOn isn’t very useful. That should be done with Plextools (or you can buy a BenQ for it :stuck_out_tongue: )

Agreed. Plextor drives with PlexTools are excellent CD scanners, and LiteOn DVD burners are close to useless for CD scanning (but very good for DVD scanning).

Look here to se a demonstration why a LiteOn DVD burner shouldn’t be used for scanning CDs unless it’s the only scanner available to you:

Lite-On dvd writers, unreliable cd scanners, but how unreliable

Okay good to know :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the help and information.
I may try scanning the CDR with Plextools then.