Weird difference between my 2 burners

Hi guys,

This is my first post over here, so be nice… :bow: :wink:

Anyways I have 2 similar burners in my pc; both are a Lite-On SHW-16H5S (using LV4C firmware).

I just noticed recently, after reading several topics overhere on how to test media and stuff, that one of the burners performs much worse in terms of PI- and PIF-errors.

Where the good burner has the following results:

Errors : 0
PI Max : 7
PI Average : 0,36
PI Total : 5751
PIF Max : 3
PIF Average : 0,02
PIF Total : 294
Which is very good imho.

The other one has the following results:

PI Max : 383
PI Average : 42,49
PI Total : 696597
PIF Max : 18
PIF Average : 2,21
PIF Total : 36158
Yikes!

That’s pretty bad isn’t it? Especially cause I used the same media and stuff.

Is this normal to have such big differences between 2 drives?

I started to examine this, cause when I burned a couple of discs some didn’t work properly, while the other ones did work…

Any advice on what to do…? Or should I replace it?

I did several more tests… It seems the reading of the 2nd drive is pretty bad.
Does that mean it’s hardware related and should I get it replaced?

Or just buy a new model? If so, what would you advice? 16H6S or whats the next model? Thnx.

Switch the two drives and check whether the problem stays with the same drive or with the installed position.

You may also want to test them seperately. Having two identical drives in the same system may confuse something.

identical firmware?

@ bibloke73

@ Cressida

Well I already tried that, did not make any difference. And trust me, when I am saying I am not confusing the drives. :slight_smile:

Try reflashing the firmware on the bad drive. Remove the good drive first.

Reset the Learned media & Hypertuning in the eeprom of the drive that isn’t performing with the EEprom utility – now try burning and see if it isn’t okay.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=112103

If that doesn’t work…

You could also backup the EEprom of the good drive and restore that to your bad drive… then they should be equal.

I tried both options, both still act below average in comparism with the other drive.

I only saved the result from the 2nd option, which resulted in this:

Sampling count : 120913
PI Max : 17
PI Average : 1,64
PI Total : 28275
PIF Max : 2
PIF Average : 0,02
PIF Total : 352

Although better, still a LOT worse then the other drive. Is the big difference normal between 2 identical drives?

I am thinking about replacing this drive with a NEC-4550A (or something) from my upstairs PC.

Or is the result acceptable, as shown above? Thnx for your time so far.

Yes, the result you’ve gotten is quite acceptable, and a lot better than before. I’d keep the drive.

It’s common to get variations from drive to drive… also variations in scanning from drive to drive of the same model.

Each drive has its own characteristics w.r.t. the optics, mechanics, etc. and replacing the drive’s characteristics with another one will NEVER be equal. Instead, it could make the burns even worse.

How many burns have you actually tried so far? It usually takes about 3 burns before it starts to get better.

Well trust me, I already did a lot… And a lot of bad ones. But know I at least know that the 2nd burner caused most of my problems though.

Anyways like you said, since I placed the image of my other burner on the “shitty” one, I will wait a couple of more burns. Maybe it will get better now (eventually).

Anyways thanks so far for the help and so on. :slight_smile:

Okay did a new burn again, again pretty lousy…

Date : 20-7-2006 10:24:42
Model : 1-0-1-0 I:LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S LV4C
Disc : DVD+R , MCC004 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2291531
Sampling count : 124680
PI Max : 97
PI Average : 7,37
PI Total : 131359
PIF Max : 14
PIF Average : 3,41
PIF Total : 60685

This may not be acceptable right?

What speed do you actually burn these at?

Try scanning at 8x and see what results you get. Also, don’t judge whether a disc is good or bad from scanning alone. Sometimes, it may become an obsession. Have you tried using the good burner to scan?

Okay did a few more tests:

When burning DVD’s on the “good” burner, results in good reading (a few errors) on the burned drive and results in bad reading (lots of errors) on the 2nd burner (bad burner).

When burning DVD’s on the “bad” burner, results in bad reading on the burned drive and results in mediocre reading (somewhat lot of errors) on the 1st burner (good burner).

If I set the reading speed higher, you will get the same results (+/- 10% difference).

I am really start to think the 2nd burner, the bad one, was poorly build or something. Both reading as burning DVD’s / CD’s result in worse performance then the 1st burner (good burner).

/edit

Just burned a DL DVD on the good burner, this burner really performs sweet;
look at this result:
Date : 21-7-2006 11:28:16
Model : 1-0-0-0 H:LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S LV4C
Disc : DVD+R DL , MKM001 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 3735345
Sampling count : 203334
PI Max : 17
PI Average : 2,41
PI Total : 70047
PIF Max : 5
PIF Average : 0,05
PIF Total : 1569

No doubt about it. There’s always tolerances in mfg/QC and clearly you have one each of both ends of the spectrum. Just be happy you got the “perfect” one. :slight_smile:

P.S. What’s the manufacturing date and complete model reference for both (sticker on the box or on top of the drives)?

Well really that’s unsual for MCC 004 to burn so poorly. You may well have a defective drive…

Well I finally received PX-760A Serial ATA burner.
…and also I had some time to install it.

And I burned a CDR to see how it would perform (will edit this post later on to also add a DVD+R burn).

Algemene informatie
Station: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A
Firmware: 1.03
Schijftype:: Data CD (Moser Baer)
Geselecteerde snelheid: Maximum
C1 errors
Maximum: 0
gemiddeld: 0.00
Totaal: 0
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
gemiddeld: 0.00
Totaal: 0
Jitter: n/a
Scan-statistieken
Verlopen tijd: 2:47
Number of samples: 4765
Gemiddeld scan-interval: 1.00 sec
Storingen verwijderd: 0

Sorry for it being partially in Dutch, but it would still be understandable.

Anyways the CDR looks like a great quality burn, no errors whatsoever. Talk about a comparism with the bad Lite-On burner! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hold on! :slight_smile: Nero CD-DVD Speed doesn’t support Plextor drives for quality scanning and therefor you see 0 errors. Whenever you see 0 errors, something’s wrong - it simply isn’t possibe :disagree: . It’s confusing, but that’s the way it is. You can use PlexTools for scanning with the 760A though. :slight_smile: