[Weird!] dark circle by Nero6.3.0.3 on media AN32

vbimport

:rolleyes:
I’ve burned two data -R disc at 4x by Nero6.3.0.3 - 451s::GSB7.

Strangely, there’s a dark circle of 0.5mm thick locates about 5mm from the start!! More “horrifyingly”, it’s not a complete circle but kinda broken into 4 parts(round lines)!!

I just burned another one with RecordNow 4.6, and no circle…

So, what’s up with Nero6!???

other questions:- after setting the booktype by the official program. Does it work on Nero6 or only RecordNow?? Do i have to set it again every time when i start a new burn??

THX

If you are going to use Nero make sure you have the latest updates from Nero’s website.
I like RecordNow myself so you could just keep using it :smiley:

All the information you need about the bit setting tool can be found (follow first link) in the Tools Guide in my signature.
The bit setting tool works with any Recording Software as long as you have the proper firmware (again look int tools gude for required firmware version needed).

Does RecordNow 4.6 let use specify the position of the file on the disc like Nero’s file priorty!!? If so, please show me how!! BTW, i’ve read the RecordNow guide already.

Is this a legal question? “What’s the best media for backing up PS2 games??” If so, i may start a new thread on that!!

I don’t know that answer about RecordNow.

But as far as PS2 media. Use whatever you use to backup movies.

Since you were asking about bit setting I’m assuming you will be using +R media.
For +R I would recommend Taiyo Yuden (TY), MCC and CMC in that order.

You will of course need a mod chip / swap cd / mod cartride for the PS2 to play any burnt backup games.

I think you have a 451S@851S? Nothing is guaranteed with any mod. Go back to 451S and see if the problems go away.
One last thing, you could always try another 851S firmware version and see if that fixes the Nero issue.

It’s all normal and you needn’t worry about it mate,
This is an undocumented feature of the said LiteON drive…

Ability to burn crop circles ! :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]I don’t know that answer about RecordNow.

But as far as PS2 media. Use whatever you use to backup movies.

Since you were asking about bit setting I’m assuming you will be using +R media.
For +R I would recommend Taiyo Yuden (TY), MCC and CMC in that order.

You will of course need a mod chip / swap cd / mod cartride for the PS2 to play any burnt backup games.

I think you have a 451S@851S? Nothing is guaranteed with any mod. Go back to 451S and see if the problems go away.
One last thing, you could always try another 851S firmware version and see if that fixes the Nero issue. [/B]

Originally posted by Rimmer66
[B]It’s all normal and you needn’t worry about it mate,
This is an undocumented feature of the said LiteON drive…

Ability to burn crop circles ! :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: [/B]

May be it’s for the starting ceremony of my new LiteOn :stuck_out_tongue:

I had similar problems with my Plextor on Longten media.

It appeared to be lighter areas of the burn. It seemed as if the burn wasnt as intense in places. I would see circles fade in and out.

Just as I feared I had playback and reading problem in that area of the disc.

It could be different for you but I’m willing to bet you have problems with those burns.

Originally posted by DMagic1
[B]I had similar problems with my Plextor on Longten media.

It appeared to be lighter areas of the burn. It seemed as if the burn wasnt as intense in places. I would see circles fade in and out.

Just as I feared I had playback and reading problem in that area of the disc.

It could be different for you but I’m willing to bet you have problems with those burns. [/B]

So far i have two AN32 are like that, but the other 3s without…
though the media is too crappy to be true… I did have problem with one of the files in one of the “circle” disc… Is Longten any good??

I will not use them again if that answers your question. :Z

Originally posted by totalz
[B]:rolleyes:
I’ve burned two data -R disc at 4x by Nero6.3.0.3 - 451s::GSB7.

Strangely, there’s a dark circle of 0.5mm thick locates about 5mm from the start!! More “horrifyingly”, it’s not a complete circle but kinda broken into 4 parts(round lines)!!

I just burned another one with RecordNow 4.6, and no circle…

So, what’s up with Nero6!???

other questions:- after setting the booktype by the official program. Does it work on Nero6 or only RecordNow?? Do i have to set it again every time when i start a new burn??

THX [/B]

There is some speculation that smartburn may be the cause of this, and other conditions.

In nero, under the recorder properties->advanced, try turning off smartburn, to see if it makes a difference.

Originally posted by debro
[B]There is some speculation that smartburn may be the cause of this, and other conditions.

In nero, under the recorder properties->advanced, try turning off smartburn, to see if it makes a difference. [/B]

In general, is it a good idea to let it on or turn it off?

:slight_smile: Turning it off on crappy media won’t do you no good, your discs will come out worse and you may have data corruption and errors. It’s a good idea to always leave SMARTBURN ON. The varying circle rings is NOT normal and should not happen. If it does so, so drastically, then perhaps the media itself is of CRAP quality and not consistent throughout the surface so smartburn is adjusting as it burns. It’s definately a media issue! Avoid using bad media on the 811… Use recommended media and you should not get those circles… If you still do despite having checked everything else then it’s time to have your drive replaced.
OR… to reduce your writing speed to 2.4x :slight_smile:

In general, is it a good idea to let it on or turn it off?

Usually smartburn should be left on as Liteon have done (hopefully extensive) testing on different media and devised the correct strategy for writing particular discs.

However, the result for the media they obtain at their testing facility may not match what is needed in the field as the media may change.

Turning smartburn off forces the burner to use a generic write strategy to write the disc, rather than a specific write strategy.
Also with smartburn off, it does not recalibrate the lens/speed/power as it burns, meaning that it burns each part of the disc exactly the same.

On Good quality media, it will result in worse quality burns.

On bad quality media which are already churned out as coasters with smartburn on, it may help. If it doesn’t, you are no worse off.:iagree:

//off topic
Rimmer66 Lighten up, or you’ll give yourself a heart attack.
Pessisimism is not an endearing attribute.
//end off topic.

i agree with u, debro :cool:

however, i don’t see an option to turn smartburn off in RecordNow!!

the reason i used this crappy AN32 is i brought a pack of 10 disc, i didn’t even know it’s AN32 until i identify it :frowning:

apparently in my region, there are 4 different brands that uses AN32 as their media, and 2 more different brands uses AN31!! Of course i would hope that i’ll never encounter them again… :a

just bought 10 Imation+R (ricoh), would like to see how it burns by 451@851 (GS0C) in 4x…

[B]i agree with u, debro :cool:

however, i don’t see an option to turn smartburn off in RecordNow!! [/B]

Bugger!

I was curious ho they’d turn out.

I actually burnt a few DVD-R with smartburn off.
As far as the PIPO scans went, it was pretty much the same.

Insignificantly higher in a few places, insignificantly lower in others.

I suspect maybe for bad media, the burner doesn’t have a specific strategy for the discs’s, so adopts a generic strategy anyway, so turning smartburn off does nothing, except lower the recording quality on good quality discs.