Weird crashes en restarts

Hello Myce,

As of late I am encountering strange problems with my PC.

It’s a fairly new PC (bit more than a year old, self-build (not by me))

I used to get a BSOD every 2 weeks or so. A restart always did the trick and it would stop happening for some time.

For the past week my screen froze almost every day. No BSOD and no text, just some strange blue blur covering my screen (looks like those dead pixel stripes, but all over the screen). After about 5 seconds, my PC restarts itself and the problem will be fixed most of the times. Sometimes however my screen will get past the bios-screen, then turn black and the screen lighting turns keeps turning on and off. After a certain number of restarts (somewhere between 1 and 5) my PC will start normally.

I’m no good with computers at all, but I checked the temperatures of the hardware, nothing there. I also ran some diagnostic programs but nothing was found.

Can you guys offer any advice what I could do or what part might cause the problems?

Thanks in advance,
Roy

P.S. I’m not a native speaker so there might be some mistakes… Forgive me :slight_smile:

[EDIT] Some more info:
I’m running Windows 8 (purchased the upgrade from the Microsoft store)
Processor: I5 2500K (mildly overclocked to 4Ghz with a decent aftermarket cooler)
Mainbord: Asrock Fatal1ty z77 Performance
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance
Videocard: Radeon HD 6870 by XFX
Hard Disks: Corsair Force 3 SSD and Hitachi Deskstar HD
PSU: Think it’s a thermaltake thoughpower (not sure) but it’s 750W

[QUOTE=HShooter;2680570]Hello Myce,

As of late I am encountering strange problems with my PC.

It’s a fairly new PC (bit more than a year old, self-build (not by me))

I used to get a BSOD every 2 weeks or so. A restart always did the trick and it would stop happening for some time.[/QUOTE]

Signs of a poorly made O/S and BSOD isn’t a good thing to have regardless whether it’s a O/S or driver or Software problem. This will lead to problem and corrupted files which will eventually cease the computer from being anything except a book weight.

[QUOTE=HShooter;2680570]

[EDIT] Some more info:
I’m running Windows 8 (purchased the upgrade from the Microsoft store[/QUOTE]

Here is the problem the upgrade…you should’ve made sure you had all the drivers ready for the W8 upgrade before upgrading so you wouldn’t have any problem if you ever did upgrade as you did and now your experiencing problems with the upgrade. This is something all those wanting to upgrade should think ahead of time before doing so. Plan for what you going to do before upgrading so you don’t have problems. Now you have to find the drivers for your motherboard and GPU and hopefully this should fix the problem. But I tell most people if you plan to upgrade there shouldn’t be a on working computer that has a fresh image or the O/S so that you will eliminate any problems with the upgrade. Your left with finding out what W8 upgrade did to your system or reformatting back to your prior O/S and sticking with that O/S.

Thanks for the quick answer coolcolor!

First of all, what’s O/S? Operating System? And you mean Windows 8 is poorly made?

Secondly, note that the BSOD appeared when I still had Windows 7 installed, and before I installed Windows 8 (even though I got the upgrade I did a clean install) I preloaded all the hardware drivers on an external hard disk and installed them after installing Windows as I never thrust Windows Update to install my drivers (from previous experience).

A new error occured which might be a clue about what’s going on. As of yesterday evening my clock gets set back every now and then by about an hour. This might indicate the battery on the motherboard ran out but as it’s a fairly new product I’m guessing my motherboard has some issues.

Is there a program that can check my motherboard for hardware issues? Or is this only possible by letting an expert check it out?

[EDIT] Now ur talking about the operating system failing, I think the BSOD appeared when I still had Windows 7 and since I installed Windows 8 it has been replaced by the strange blue screen without text.

I notice you have a Corsair Force 3 SSD. That SSD has a SandForce SSD controller which could cause BSOD on some systems.
Check that you have the latest firmware on your SSD at the Corsair website.

[QUOTE=HShooter;2680614]Thanks for the quick answer coolcolor!

First of all, what’s O/S? Operating System? And you mean Windows 8 is poorly made?

Secondly, note that the BSOD appeared when I still had Windows 7 installed, and before I installed Windows 8 (even though I got the upgrade I did a clean install) I preloaded all the hardware drivers on an external hard disk and installed them after installing Windows as I never thrust Windows Update to install my drivers (from previous experience).

A new error occured which might be a clue about what’s going on. As of yesterday evening my clock gets set back every now and then by about an hour. This might indicate the battery on the motherboard ran out but as it’s a fairly new product I’m guessing my motherboard has some issues.

Is there a program that can check my motherboard for hardware issues? Or is this only possible by letting an expert check it out?

[EDIT] Now ur talking about the operating system failing, I think the BSOD appeared when I still had Windows 7 and since I installed Windows 8 it has been replaced by the strange blue screen without text.[/QUOTE]
Corsair Firmware Updates can be found here
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=582225&postcount=1

Thanks again for the help. I have updated my firmware (1.x to 5.x, so guess it was needed) and so far no issues. You will hear from me if something happens :slight_smile: