Weird, CD reads at constant speed

vbimport

I just burned a CD at 24x and when I ran the CD Speed Quality Test, it reads the cd at almost a constant speed of 12x (which is slow :frowning: ). I used the media that I always use, with the same setting and I burned a mpeg file. How come it reads the CD at a constant speed?

edit: hmm second CD, same thing happened. So slow too. 12x :frowning: other CDs that I burn work at a normal speed.

happened again, reads at a constant speed of 12x. I tried Fuji this time. Why does this happen? someone in this forum should know this :confused:

Sounds like a long shot, but did you perhaps install a program to slow your optical drive down (in order to reduce the noise it produces)?

Did you burn any MPEGs to this kind of media before? Them with CD Speed as well…

How did you burn the MPEG btw? As (S)VCD, or just a as data (so mode 1 or mode 2)?

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Sounds like a long shot, but did you perhaps install a program to slow your optical drive down (in order to reduce the noise it produces)?

Did you burn any MPEGs to this kind of media before? Them with CD Speed as well…

How did you burn the MPEG btw? As (S)VCD, or just a as data (so mode 1 or mode 2)? [/B]
this happened with 3 CDs. 2 were mpegs and 1 was just a set of RAR archives. ( I burned the RAR files again and that thing with the speed didnt happen). Weird. I didnt install any software (well I have nero, alcohol, clonecd, but I only use nero). And yeah I’ve tested the same type of data with the same media, dunno why SOMETIMES it burns them like this

edit: there is something similar mentioned in the Big Lite-On FAQ: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42344#wr_strat_clv
it’s section 5.1 (CLV) but I still dont understand why this is happening

someone please help me, this is happening too many times. Someone in this forum should know about this! :confused:

You burned a cd at 24x, but are reading it at only 12x? Why are you testing the read quality, what is it you are trying to figure out? How fast the cd can be read? Are you reading it in the burner? What burner is it and what is its claimed read speed. Most cd-rom drives never read at what they claim to. I have a program called Audiocatalyst and it rips cd’s into wavs or mp3s and in the process shows actual read time. My 52x cd-rom reads cd’s at 12x. Fluctautes between 8x and 12x. Maybe something similar you are hitting, maybe its the speed at which it can be read. If a 52x cd-rom actually reads at 12x then I guess 12x is kinda fast huh.