Weird 411S stuff happening to me

I have a three months old 411S, with latest firmware AFAIK. The drive has been working fine using RITEK DVD-R

I use Nero 6.3

A week ago I obtained some RICOH DVD+RW

I erased a disc and burnt an image to it.

Since then the drive no longer recognises ANY blank DVD-R. DVD+R discs. On inserting the green light starts flashing and keeps on flashing. Nero gives up in the end saying there is no disc.

However, if I put a DVD+RW in, no problem. It erases and writes just fine.

Any help? Anyone? Anywhere?

Ta.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83984

Originally posted by wesociety
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83984

Many thanks for the feedback. However, I had already eliminated the info on that page, except th “APIT Hider” - as a last resort, any idea where the switch for that might be hidden on an XP box?

thanks

OK, Nero Info tells me the ASPI installations are corrupted.

Nero Info told me the system ASPI was corrupted. Fixed that using forceaspi but no joy. The damn drive will only recognise RICOH DVD+RW discs. :confused:

I think it will be better for my health if I consign the 411S to Liteon’s heaven for dead drives and buy a replacemnt I think :sad:

All fixed, people!. Thanks.

I flashed to FS0J (was using FS0G).

Good as gold.

After flashing to FS0J and rebooting the drive appeared to come good. I managed to burn five video DVDs. However, the same problem has recurred- again it will only recognise RICOH +RW disk, other (pre-burned/ pressed) DVD disks & CD/R CD/RW.

But my stack of Ritek -R, of which this drive had burnt a couple of hundred successfully 'til about a week ago, seems useless. I can hear the drive struggling & grinding trying to identify the disk. After a couple of minutes it times out and Nero Info reports ‘no disc’.

Same with a couple of Verbatim and TDK +RWs I had laying about.

I tried some Princo’s, but these had never worked anyway.

Of course, the warranty is just a couple of weeks over. As you’d expect.:frowning:

Oh well, time to buy another drive. Do I dare buy another Liteon?

Tried everything found here yet?

Originally posted by Ssseth
Tried everything found here yet?

Yes, Ssseth, someone had already drawn my attention to a couple of similar threads.

The only thing I haven’t tried is " ATIP hider is installed on your system."

I have no idea what ATIP HIDER is or where to find it, if it exists at all. Even a google on it reveals very little.

I replaced the drive with another 411S this morning and it is working fine. I think we can conclude that old one had indeed had major heart failure :).

Thanks for your response- appreciated.

Sounds very unusual, but it’s been happening in a few cases.
Methinks the media is Shite!
So when it tries to read the media ID, it’s misaligning the laser.

Some people have reported issues like this with crappy media.

Solutions:

1. Give the drive a good shake.
  2. Reflash the firmware.

Either will force the drive to recalibrate it’s lens.

Regardless, I wouldn’t expect your data to be safe on those DVDR’s for too long.

Originally posted by debro
[B]
Methinks the media is Shite!
So when it tries to read the media ID, it’s misaligning the laser.

Solutions:

1. Give the drive a good shake.
  2. Reflash the firmware.

Either will force the drive to recalibrate it’s lens.

[/B]

Thanks - as I stated, I had already replaced the drive, but given your post I re-connected it, re-flashed FS0J, jiggled the drive about a bit :smiley: and tried again.

Here’s the results with a range of media (all new):
[I]
TDK -RW* OK
TDK +R OK
RICOH +RW OK

RITEK -R INTERMITTENTLY OK but mostly FAIL
TDK +RW INTERMITTENTLY OK but mostly FAIL

TDK -R FAIL
VERBATIM -R FAIL
VERBATIM +R FAIL
VERBATIM -RW* FAIL
VERBATIM +RW FAIL

PRINCO -R FAIL
PRINCO +RW FAIL
RIDATA -R +R FAIL
MELODY -R +R FAIL

Everything 4X except where noted with *[/I]

FAIL behaviour is as stated earlier- the drive hunts for two to three minutes and then reports NO MEDIA

I note your reference to crappy media. The RITEKs -R (4X) came well recommended and have proved reliable, which is why I am stocked up with them. The drive had burnt 150 to 200 RITEK -R 4X, without once wrecking one. Even the ones it now fails to ID, the new drive has no problem with.

Also, in the above tests the name brand disks should have shown up better if the drive is(was) sound, yes?

The new (411s) replacement drive works with all of the listed media except the Princo.

I think that failed hardware is now a reasonably conclusion. And given the relatively low cost of the 411S I’m not too upset that it failed just out of the warranty period. Of course, it remains to be seen whether the replacement drive lasts longer :wink:

BTW, you mentioned that the laser is able to recalibrate automatically. Is that correct?

Many thanks for the feedback.

I’m absolutely sure it’s the damn aspi layer.

I had the same problem, long, long ago, back when DVDR didn’t even exist (with cdr of course)

I’d download a little old application called “Aspi me” or an old version of Forceaspi.

Then upgrade to aspilayer 1017.

That will hopefully solve the issues, even though windows and all your CDR programs shouldn’t be using the adaptec aspilayer.

Apparently the laser/lens is supposed to recalbirate itself every time it powers up.
Maybe there’s a fault with the x11 drives which causes it to stick(?) when shite quality media is inserted?
A good shaking free’s it up, apparently, or sometimes a firmware flash.

I’ve never had the problem, so I can’t check:|

I’ve noticed you say the warranty has passed on your 411S. Someone correct me if I’m wrong… but the 411S hasn’t even been out for a year, hence it should still be under the one year warranty…? :confused:

I’ve noticed you say the warranty has passed on your 411S. Someone correct me if I’m wrong… but the 411S hasn’t even been out for a year, hence it should still be under the one year warranty…? :confused:

Agreed, manufacturer warranties are valid for 1yr from the date of purchase, even if the 3month vendor warranty has run out.

Regardless, if the unit is broken, they have to replace it with an equivalent product that is in working order within 1yr :wink:

Originally posted by debro

Regardless, if the unit is broken, they have to replace it with an equivalent product that is in working order within 1yr :wink:

I was advised this morning that the warranty here (Australia) is three months. That tends to be the norm here for most IT stuff. But I’ll double check in tomorrow.

LiteOn’s webpage reads:

Service Policy

1. LITE-ON warrants all products purchased from our authorized distributors are free of charge from defects in material & workmanship for normal use by original purchaser for ONE year.

From what I recall hearing somewhere; Australian retailers HAVE to give three months warranty. Then afterwards you have to deal with the manufacturer.
So actually, dealing with warranties in Australia is earlier/better then most of the world where one week - one month is the norm (for returning to retailer).

[B]I’m not arguing with you because I don’t live there.

But at LiteOn’s website it says:says:

So if they don’t cover your drive because your live there they shoud take that off the web site… [/B]

I’ll track down the Australian distributor ASAP. Thankfully consumer protection is pretty good here, so I may be able to salvage something after all.

regards

As you can probably see I edited my above post as you were quoting it.

To clear things up. You will probably have to deal with LiteOn themselves and not the retailer.

LiteOn’s webpage reads:
…So actually, dealing with warranties in Australia is earlier/better then most of the world where one week - one month is the norm (for returning to retailer).

Most of the world… :confused:

But, not [better than] in “the old” world -->Europe
Here the “norm” is @least 1 (one) year. [Directive 1999/44/EC]

Welcome to take a read on consumer rights in EU in this aspect. :smiley:

So the retailer in Europe has to deal with the warranty for a whole year? Lucky buggers I say!
(I didn’t know that)