Web experts: SOPA will not dissuade people who really want to pirate content

vbimport

Web experts: SOPA will not dissuade people who really want to pirate content.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/12/uhyMEL.jpg[/newsimage]Chairman of the non-profit Internet Systems Consortium Paul Vixie is far from sold on H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act. On the contrary, the web guru believes the anti-piracy bill and its Senate-based sibling PROTECT IP will do little to prevent consumers from illegally downloading content. If someone is determined to pirate a new movie or album, said Vixie, they're going to find a way to do it.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/web-experts-sopa-will-not-dissuade-people-who-really-want-to-pirate-content-56281/](http://www.myce.com/news/web-experts-sopa-will-not-dissuade-people-who-really-want-to-pirate-content-56281/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Ah…

I don’t even understand why people go onto those torrent sites anyway. Just pay for the DVD/Blu-Ray and make a legal backup copy. It costs far less than the cost of litigation if you get sued for copyright infringement.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2616794]I don’t even understand why people go onto those torrent sites anyway. Just pay for the DVD/Blu-Ray and make a legal backup copy. It costs far less than the cost of litigation if you get sued for copyright infringement.[/QUOTE]

You sound more like a blow horn for the MPIAA/RIAA representative again. Maybe you haven’t read Fair Use… most if not most already own those they bought. And also if you want people to not go that route maybe you should tell your friends to stop ripping off customers with outrageous prices and the music authors whom should have full legal and get control of how they sell and price their music they create. Something that the music industry has fail to come to grips with…The Music Authors are the one creating the music not the music lobby industry machine…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2616807]You sound more like a blow horn for the MPIAA/RIAA representative again. Maybe you haven’t read Fair Use… most if not most already own those they bought. And also if you want people to not go that route maybe you should tell your friends to stop ripping off customers with outrageous prices and the music authors whom should have full legal and get control of how they sell and price their music they create. Something that the music industry has fail to come to grips with…The Music Authors are the one creating the music not the music lobby industry machine…[/QUOTE]

I assure you I am not with the MPAA or RIAA or any kind of “studio” that holds copyrights. I’m just saying that downloading copyrighted stuff from torrents is illegal even if you already bought a copy because the only thing you’re allowed to make a backup of is the copyrighted material you bought (DVD or Blu Ray disc, CD or whatever).

[QUOTE=hogger129;2616861]I assure you I am not with the MPAA or RIAA or any kind of “studio” that holds copyrights. I’m just saying that downloading copyrighted stuff from torrents is illegal even if you already bought a copy because the only thing you’re allowed to make a backup of is the copyrighted material you bought (DVD or Blu Ray disc, CD or whatever).[/QUOTE]

That’s good to hear but as with anything they the MPAA/RIAA lack any facts to backup all their claims of lost revenues and the still have yet to show how much they really lost but only makes claims they lost alot. That is a bunch of smoke and screen to steer away from their lack of incompetence in watching the markets and being greedy. Like all real facts there is a so called line “Lost in translation” they are out of touch with the public and the artists.

What torrents?!

You guys have not yet grasped the extremely far-reaching consequences of this abomination. We are not talking torrents here. We are talking about potentially -any- site which allows content posting by end-users.

Example: I upload here a news comment and, within it, I insert a quote from, e.g. an article protected by copyright. If the copyright owner -thinks- that I shouldn’t have done that, several things can happen:

• they contact a non-judiciary entity (so, no judicial supervision) and ask www.myce.com to be stopped. This means that, within the USA, the domain www.myce.com is blacklisted. If you try to access it, you’ll be redirected to a placeholder, saying that the site is under review by the authorities.

• the site owners become liable for the content I posted. Therefore, they can be sued and could face criminal penalties, like jail time and heavy fines.

This was just an example. All kinds of user upload content, e.g. videos I made but with something, like a copyrighted tune playing in the background, are also liable; pictures, text, etc., etc., etc.

The worse of it all is that the idea is to block first and review later. And, if possible, even worse of all, is the fact that the site owners become liable. Say goodbye to online posts of any kind. The site owners would have to validate every single post, of any kind, made by their users. Not feasible, I would say. Therefore, unless they want to potentially face criminal charges, they will be wise to restrict posts to their own.

Inform yourselves, these bills are more about heavy-handed censorship than about protecting IP interests. The potential for abuse is extreme.

[QUOTE=johnzap;2617163]

• the site owners become liable for the content I posted. Therefore, they can be sued and could face criminal penalties, like jail time and heavy fines.[/QUOTE]

Don’t know where you been hiding all this time but the MODs and Webmasters on here already have a policy and user report abuse already and those abusers are banned and materials that violate their agreements are removed as well as links and advertisements that goes against their agreements users that registered on this site use. So how you would qualify this site as a torrent site is beyond mind boggling and any real lack of credibility on your behalf. You should reserve that for those site and report that to those Webmasters instead. Like anything the Internet and piracy is here to stay. What is missing here is the misteps and out of touch reality the Studios and Greedy CEO mindset to miss what was coming and when they were told by their own insiders in the industry of what was coming they just blew them off and now they are facing their own Music pun and can’t stomach now…

The pirate nerds are hiding behind DMCA and as a result have created an unfair market for music. Reject the DMCA by passing SOPA, which will hold the server owners responsible for what is being served out to the public from their servers.

I don’t like the fact that filesonic dot com (resolving to hong kong) is serving up my music catalog for free including the new stuff, with the torrents and full rar files being linked at hotfilesearch dot com (resolving to florida), covered with pay per click ads and easily found on google. They are stealing my livelyhood.

STOP THE PIRATES NOW
Don’t be in league with pirates. Stealing is a BAD business model that history has proven unsustainable.

[QUOTE=R_Maynard;2617476]The pirate nerds are hiding behind DMCA and as a result have created an unfair market for music. Reject the DMCA by passing SOPA, which will hold the server owners responsible for what is being served out to the public from their servers.

I don’t like the fact that filesonic dot com (resolving to hong kong) is serving up my music catalog for free including the new stuff, with the torrents and full rar files being linked at hotfilesearch dot com (resolving to florida), covered with pay per click ads and easily found on google. They are stealing my livelyhood.

STOP THE PIRATES NOW
Don’t be in league with pirates. Stealing is a BAD business model that history has proven unsustainable.[/QUOTE]

What ticks me off is that this is not about “copyright” stuff. The MPAA/RIAA are just greedy organizations that want to make more money. Not only can the MPAA/RIAA shut down sites they merely accuse of copyright infringement, but this can also be used for political viewpoints as well. It boils down to censorship and taking a dump on the First Amendment. If someone’s infringing copyright laws, call a lawyer, file a suit and PROVE it. That’s the problem with this country. People are guilty until proven innocent because people like the MPAA/RIAA and other special interests can buy politicians and own the law.

They need to repeal DMCA, stop SOPA, and create a law like this:

-Circumventing copyright protections is 100% legal as long as you purchased an authentic copy of the copyrighted material and the original and copies/reproductions/rips remain in your possession so you can prove it

-Making backup copies of something is legal as long as you purchased an authentic copy of the copyrighted material as long as you own the original and the copies remain in your possession

-Redistributing the the copies/rips should be a felony

I would almost go on to say that people who are making the DVD, Blu Ray and CD cannot put these copy protection schemes on them. It violates Fair Use. For example, if you buy a DVD, you should have a right to put it onto your computer for playback on other devices. For some (my experience with Dark Knight) this is impossible because of the copy protection schemes on the DVD. I bought it. Why can’t I rip it onto my computer so I can watch it on my PS3 or Apple TV? I’m not redistributing it. Just watching it on my PS3 and Apple TV.

The way I see it, if people are paying say $20 for a Blu Ray disc, or like $10 for a DVD, or $12 for a CD, they have a right to rip it into a digital format for playback on other devices, they should have a right to make a backup so that they don’t damage/destroy the original.

It’s the people who copy the movies and then sell them or hand them out to their friends or upload them to torrent sites like PirateBay who should be punished. Not people like me who just want to watch my movies that I bought on my PS3 through an external hard drive.

That is why I’ve turned to the iTunes Store. They give you the movies in a digital format. They are DRM protected, but I own the Apple devices to play them back on. Some movies I’ve bought offer a Digital Copy that I can redeem in iTunes. IMO this is a great business model for customers with my needs. Plus I can back them up onto external hard drives or DVDs. It’s great. If the people who made the DVD, BR and CDs did this, they’d get a lot more business.

I just get sick of where I go buy a DVD like The Dark Knight and it’s impossible and probably illegal to put it into a digital format so that I can watch it on other devices I own. I do not intend to share it or redistribute it in any way, but apparently I cannot be trusted. So rather than going after the pirates, all these film studios has done is angered me, and haven’t done really anything to stop the pirates.

What these organizations want is to stop the redistribution of copyrighted material they own the copyrights to. They don’t own the movies, just the rights to redistribute and/or sell them. I don’t think any honest person can disagree there. Most people aren’t looking to break the law. Most people - like me - just want to watch the movies we buy - in the formats we want - without the headaches.

All these copy protection schemes do is get in the way of people who buy authentic copies of the film. When they want to rip it into a digital format to watch on other devices in their home - they can’t - because it’s illegal. If it weren’t for Fair Use, we wouldn’t even be allowed to make backup copies of what we bought.

If they want to stop the pirates, they need to get some lawyers, file lawsuits, and start prosecuting the people who host the sites with the torrents, and prosecute the people who share the content in those torrents.

All the copy protection schemes in the world haven’t stopped pirates - going back to Betamax tapes. So all it turns into is a giant cat and mouse game, and honest people who buy the movies get the shaft because of piracy and the companies that go over the top to attempt to stop it.

I find it humorous that the MPAA, RIAA and their bought and paid for politicians think they can change the behavior of the masses. The more they try to stop piracy the more people will pirate content. They need to figure out a way to profit from downloading music, movies etc. instead of trying to scare people into adhering to their ancient business model.

The only way I see them getting in front of the issue is to offer access to all music, movies, TV shows etc. from a central source and for a low monthly/annual based fee. Then as content is downloaded, and tallied, the fees are distributed according to the percentage their content was downloaded compared to the total downloads. They need to make getting content easier than pirating it and charging a fee so low that nearly everyone will pay it gladly. Instead they try to hold on to their past business models and make the Internet and end users kowtow to their will. They haven’t figured out yet that it is the masses that determine what is fair and feasible and not a handful of media moguls and their pet politicians.

[QUOTE=UTR;2617482]The only way I see them getting in front of the issue is to offer access to all music, movies, TV shows etc. from a central source and for a low monthly/annual based fee. Then as content is downloaded, and tallied, the fees are distributed according to the percentage their content was downloaded compared to the total downloads. They need to make getting content easier than pirating it and charging a fee so low that nearly everyone will pay it gladly. Instead they try to hold on to their past business models and make the Internet and end users kowtow to their will. They haven’t figured out yet that it is the masses that determine what is fair and feasible and not a handful of media moguls and their pet politicians.[/QUOTE]

That will not stop the problem of piracy because with the worlds economy the way it is due to corporate management and government greed, whether it’s through the Internet or on the streets people will always look for a better price and with pirated content one can always find what their looking for at a cheaper price and sometimes even at no cost.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2617510]That will not stop the problem of piracy because with the worlds economy the way it is due to corporate management and government greed, whether it’s through the Internet or on the streets people will always look for a better price and with pirated content one can always find what their looking for at a cheaper price and sometimes even at no cost.[/QUOTE]

That may be true, but there are plenty of us who would support the industry with lower prices - I myself have been known in the past to copy of new rented movie and then purchase it later once the price has come down to a more realistic price that I’m willing to pay. Life is a little more complicated and busy now, so I don’t get to watch too many movies these days, but that was my way of doing things in the past.

Do you actually think the RIAA is following people home with their store bought CD, watching them and busting them for backing it up if they do it?

And what computer won’t play store bought CDs or DVDs forcing you to rip it into a different format?

And doesn’t iTunes conveniently import your CDs and DVDs for your watching and listening on those apple devices?

The problem is that the DMCA says that server owners are NOT responsible for something users put on their server, where as SOPA says that the server owners ARE responsible for what users put on their servers.

I notice that youTube has not chimed in on this matter. But they did introduce a beta program called contentID.
http://www.youtube.com/t/contentid
They did this and made contentID catch legal content like 30 second snippets. This caused an uprising of complaints. But that appears to be a defect by design and easily fixed to leave the legal content alone.

HOLD THE SERVER OWNERS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT ON THEIR SERVER.
Don’t be in league with pirates.

HELP FIGHT THE PIRATE NERDS BY SUPPORTING SOPA
I’m a voter and I am only voting for those who support SOPA.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2617510] sometimes even at no cost.[/QUOTE]

somtimes?

that’s a laugh. 95% of all music downloads are free illegal from pirates.

If you are not convinced, then why not take a trip to your local music store? Not Walmart, but the local CD store. The one that sells only music and not groceries and a ton of other unrelated stuff. You will see the carcus of the music industry if your local store is even still there. They will be selling 98% used stuff. Next time you go to a new car dealership, think what it would mean if they only had used cars.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2617480]
[/QUOTE]

Do you actually think the RIAA is following people home with their store bought CD, watching them and busting them for backing it up if they do it?

And what computer won’t play store bought CDs or DVDs forcing you to rip it into a different format?

And doesn’t iTunes conveniently import your CDs and DVDs for your watching and listening on those apple devices?

The problem is that the DMCA says that server owners are NOT responsible for something users put on their server, where as SOPA says that the server owners ARE responsible for what users put on their servers.

I notice that youTube has not chimed in on this matter. But they did introduce a beta program called contentID.
They did this and made contentID catch legal content like 30 second snippets. This caused an uprising of complaints. But that appears to be a defect by design and easily fixed to leave the legal content alone.

I’m a voter and I am only voting for those who support SOPA.

[QUOTE=R_Maynard;2617550]Do you actually think the RIAA is following people home with their store bought CD, watching them and busting them for backing it up if they do it?

I’m a voter and I am only voting for those who support SOPA.[/QUOTE]

Please… lol Why should the server owners be responsible for the stuff that other people put up on the Internet? Should MyCE be responsible for my posts? No! Should they comply with requests to remove material that is found that should not be posted? I can agree to that. SOPA and any potential law like it are a mistake and anyone supporting them is a fool, to be honest - the people supporting them are usually the corporations and money makers who their main concern is their wallets, while the rest of us would like to keep as many of our rights as possible before people like you have us begging for scraps at your feet. So… Relax, dude. :cool:

[QUOTE=R_Maynard;2617550]Do you actually think the RIAA is following people home with their store bought CD, watching them and busting them for backing it up if they do it?

I’m a voter and I am only voting for those who support SOPA.[/QUOTE]

People like you should be part of the powers at be living in mainland China. Ignorance is bliss. Jeff

[QUOTE=jbkingjr;2617554]Please… lol Why should the server owners be responsible for the stuff that other people put up on the Internet? Should MyCE be responsible for my posts? No! Should they comply with requests to remove material that is found that should not be posted? I can agree to that. SOPA and any potential law like it are a mistake and anyone supporting them is a fool, to be honest - the people supporting them are usually the corporations and money makers who their main concern is their wallets, while the rest of us would like to keep as many of our rights as possible before people like you have us begging for scraps at your feet. So… Relax, dude. :cool:[/QUOTE]

That guy gives me the creeps…

No, I do not think the RIAA is following people home and ensuring that they are not breaking copyright laws. That doesn’t mean people should do it though.

There aren’t very many computers that won’t play back CDs, DVDs or Blu Ray discs. The reason, however, that I want to rip it into a different format is so that I can save the inconvenience of having to flip through my DVD cases. I should be able to rip my movies into a digital format, put them on my external hard drive, and then either stream them to my devices like my PS3 or my Apple TV, or plug in directly to watch movies that I paid hard-earned money for.

iTunes lets you import CDs. It does not let you import DVDs or Blu Ray discs.

If server owners are not responsible for something users put on their server, then how come things like Pirate Bay get sued for users who host torrents on their site? I believe the people who own Pirate Bay had all their equipment raided a few years ago in an effort to shut them down.

I notice that youTube has not chimed in on this matter. But they did introduce a beta program called contentID. http://www.youtube.com/t/contentidThey did this and made contentID catch legal content like 30 second snippets. This caused an uprising of complaints. But that appears to be a defect by design and easily fixed to leave the legal content alone.

YouTube [I][B]should[/B][/I] do absolutely nothing. Why? Because this SOPA law can come back on them too. If people who put videos up on their site are infringing copyright law, the authorities will shut down YouTube if they can’t get all the people who are uploading copyrighted material to their site. Sooner or later it will happen if SOPA becomes law. I thought the internet was supposed to be a free exchange of ideas. That doesn’t mean I support piracy, but why is it fair to run over people who aren’t even breaking the law? It obviously hasn’t worked with CDs, DVDs and Blu Rays. All these copy protections don’t stop the pirates - just legitimate owners like me. If these copy protection schemes did work, you wouldn’t see the amount of movie torrents on places like the Pirate Bay.

HOLD THE SERVER OWNERS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT ON THEIR SERVER.Don’t be in league with pirates.
HELP FIGHT THE PIRATE NERDS BY SUPPORTING SOPAI’m a voter and I am only voting for those who support SOPA.

Would you mind explaining to me why server owners should be held responsible for the actions of other people?

If the owners of the copyrighted material don’t like it, they should call their legal team, collect evidence, and then take people to court who are breaking copyright laws, and then prove it.

This country has turned into a haven for the lawyers because of people like you who elect politicians that let them get away with it.

I’m not endorsing piracy, but sitting here and saying that opposing SOPA = supporting piracy is another scare tactic to get you to give up more of your freedoms and rights.