We live in a democracy. Copyright laws = undemocratic. WHY?

vbimport

OK, so basically law in the Western world and certainly the US (as in, what it was founded upon at least) is run democratically - or at least representatively of democracy (govt representing people’s wishes).

I think it’s fair to say that more people agree with online distribution of free TV programs, music, etc., copying software and so on than not and so that is the people’s wishes. So why does the govt not legalise this?

I am aware that Norway and Sweden (and maybe others) have far more relaxed laws, so it is possible. So this begs the question ‘why is it not that way?’. Yes, big companies have power and money to tempts govt but ultimately people have more power than anyone if they actually just stand up together and tell the govt to sort it out

So I have to ask, why do people not stand up for their moral, democratic rights? Why are people not pushing harder?

The UK has seen the launch of legalised TV download services (I’m only aware of the UK, as I’m British) and so it shows that - IT WORKS! As mentioned, Norway actually allows you to copy software and give to other people (I think!).

But regardless, people are meant to ultimately be responsible for their country’s law and yet we have this crap like Davenport in the UK going on. A govt only exists because people allow it to do so. We are the nation of our countries.

Why, why, WHY?!

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2114207]Why, why, WHY?![/QUOTE]

Only a single word: MONEY!!!

:wink:

I believe I covered that - the power is in the people’s hands, not the govt’s.

Actually the power in in lobbies hands. Until they will pay politicians, they will get all laws they want :wink:

People has the real power only in theory :frowning:

The power is real, but they don’t use the power; that’s the difference.

If the world decided that money was worthless overnight then it would be worthless - nothing more than little scraps of paper and metal.

You’re right, but a similar scenario will cause a huge chaos :eek:

Even if people has the real power, the problem is that there is also a lot of misinformation.

Did you see Michael Moore’s movie titled “Sicko”? I don’t know if it is all true, but I must say that I was really scared by that movie :eek:

I just Googled that movie.

Yeah, only in America. Europe isn’t like that at all (which you would know, being Italian). Yet look at us; we manage fine! So the States can certainly do it to.

GROOVEMEISTER,
I thought it was a republic[at least that’s what THOMAS JEFFERSON
BELIVEVED]. Anyway your half right. I do agree that some services
should allow you to download old T.V. shows,movies and stuff. How
ever the problem is the copyright. For example if you made a film
to release to a theater for profit,and then you find it being downloaded on the pirate bay or something. I think you would be
pretty pissed off.
ZAP.

AFAIK here in the UK, for the most part anyway, we’re still forbidden from even backing up for personal use - someone correct me if things have change on that score. :wink:

So things are far from perfect anywhere :wink:

groovemeister wrote,

"Did you see Michael Moore’s movie titled “Sicko”? I don’t know if it is all true, but I must say that I was really scared by that movie ."
Yeah quite good for laughs…

Michael Moore should have used the title “Sicko” for his Autobiography…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2114240]groovemeister wrote,

"Did you see Michael Moore’s movie titled “Sicko”? I don’t know if it is all true, but I must say that I was really scared by that movie ."

Michael Moore should have used the title “Sicko” for his Autobiography…[/QUOTE]

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::flower:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2114240]groovemeister wrote,

Michael Moore should have used the title “Sicko” for his Autobiography…[/QUOTE]

Actually it was me to write that, not groovemeister :bigsmile:

Sorry about that ,geno888…But my comment still applies!..:cool:

No problem :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=zap em;2114233]GROOVEMEISTER,
I thought it was a republic[at least that’s what THOMAS JEFFERSON
BELIVEVED]. Anyway your half right. I do agree that some services
should allow you to download old T.V. shows,movies and stuff. How
ever the problem is the copyright. For example if you made a film
to release to a theater for profit,and then you find it being downloaded on the pirate bay or something. I think you would be
pretty pissed off.
ZAP.[/QUOTE]No I wouldn’t be. There are ways to make things and them to be funded; tax, ads, etc.

There are no democracies. The U.S. is a democratic republic. Since there are elected officials deciding law, there are lobbyists and special interest groups. Money talks louder than words. That is why the world is the way it is. Money and power will always be at the root of all government policies. All business small or corporate are concerned with one thing. PROFIT. One child with a lemonade stand and Billy Boy with his Microsoft are equals in the endeavor for profit and what it will bring.

sigh

I know this.

But this power is only de jure. We the people have real de facto power. The power that they have is only there becuase we tacitly allow it.

Up in the frozen wastelands of Canada, we have a levy on each piece of blank media sold … This has been considered payment in lieu of lost revenues from illegitimate downloads by the Supreme Court of Canada … It seems to have worked well for around a decade as everyone is getting the almighty $$$

Now we have been told, our Gov’t is introducing, basically the same copyright laws as the US … Almost verbatim… Gee how did this happen … must be a coincedence that it is exactly the same as the US version … I am sure that we as citizens actually asked the Gov’t to do this , as I cannot imagine any Gov’t being so fickle and corrupt as to listen to the rich special interest groups and not the common people that voted them in. :doh:

The rich could care less about the average Joe … they can afford 25$ and up for a DVD movie , is just another example of attacking the average and the poor to keep their illusion of power… and to keep the “common” people scared… I believe that this bill will pass even though there are huge groups rallying against it … There will be no Democratic vote by the people of this country to decide if this bill will become law, and for sure the gov’t will do what is in the backroom’s best interests to line their already golden retirements with more perks. :clap:

I say good for them … Take what ya can from whoever you can … Money is the greatest Democracy in the world :cop:

After all it will buy the weapons the Gov’t will use to kill people if they try to regain their power from the Gov’t…

It’s all an illusion run by the puppetmasters …
Hope everyone has a nice day :cool:

SOUL
That’s pretty cynical to look at it that way. I mean sure it’s about
power and,money for the hollywood big-wigs. However to say
that people don’t have any power I don’t believe that. If people
the same with the gas problem, would stop going to their films or
buying their products for a couple of months they would lose so
much money.That they would get the message or at least get
dented.
ZAP.

Zap em

One of the things I learned in the Army was crowd control in case of civil unrest … who has the power? Stop buying gas ? hmm the gallon is now worth how much? and is effecting prices of food etc… and where is the peope and thier power? I don’t see it happening …

When I was demonstrating (actually out on the streets in mass holding signs etc…)against nuclear testing and such in the early 70’s, the bombs were still tested and nothing changed … I have seen the power people have … and I have seen what the gov’t has planned for stopping them from having any …The first priority of the Gov’t is to protect the Gov’t …

Boycott hollywood? They will just sell their product overseas… Look at hollywood north… why did that happen? cus it was cheaper to produce movies in Canada, period… they have no conscience where $$$ is involved… the only reason they stay in North America is cus that’s where they can gouge the biggest profit margins.

The days of the common person having power are long gone … has been for a long time … and is getting worse. The more laws the Gov’t passes the less power we have. It looks good in the movies when the common person wins though…

Cynical? perhaps … realistic… definately… I’ve been there…

And one of the few freedoms you have left is to not believe that people have no power.

But this is getting off topic of this thread so I will stop now.