We have a Wii, but it's broken

We bought a Wii for our kids last Christmas. Today it would not turn on. The tranformer/power supply was not warm at all. Shouldn’t it be warm if plugged in to the wall?

We did not send in any registration cards. I think it was purchased at Wal-Mart. Is there any hope of a warranty on this thing? If not from Wal-Mart would Nintendo still warranty it since it is so ‘young’.

If there’s no chance of warranty, what should I try to get it going again? My guess is it has a bad transformer/power supply.

Thanks for any ideas.

RM

Go to Amazon.com and buy a new power supply, if that doesn’t work, throw it away.

Thanks for the link.

If you are referring to throwing the entire Wii in the trash… you obviously have more money than we do. We had to save for a long time just to buy it for the kids. It is not even 1 year old. I am hoping that there is some warranty on it even though we did not reigster it last year.

If you meant throwing the power supply away, I think I would rather not in case I need it in the future.

RM

Do you have your receipt?

You may need only simple instructions to correct a problem with your product. Try our web site at www.nintendo.com or call our Consumer Assistance Hotline at 1-800-255-3700, rather than going to your retailer. Hours of operation are 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., Pacific Time, Monday - Sunday (times subject to change). If the problem cannot be solved with the troubleshooting information available on-line or over the telephone, you will be offered express factory service through Nintendo or referred to the nearest NINTENDO AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER. Please do not send any products to Nintendo without contacting us first.

HARDWARE WARRANTY

Nintendo of America Inc. ("Nintendo") warrants to the                original purchaser that the hardware product shall be free from                defects in material and workmanship for twelve (12) months from                the date of purchase. If a defect covered by this warranty occurs                during this warranty period, Nintendo or a NINTENDO AUTHORIZED REPAIR                CENTER will repair the defective hardware product or component,                free of charge. The original purchaser is entitled to this warranty                only if the date of purchase is registered at point of sale or the                consumer can demonstrate, to Nintendo's satisfaction, that the product                was purchased within the last 12 months. 

GAME &                ACCESSORY WARRANTY

Nintendo warrants to the original purchaser that the product (Game                Paks and accessories) shall be free from defects in material and                workmanship for a period of three (3) months from the date of purchase.                If a defect covered by this warranty occurs during this three (3)                month warranty period, Nintendo or a NINTENDO AUTHORIZED REPAIR                CENTER will repair the defective product, free of charge. 

SERVICE AFTER                EXPIRATION OF WARRANTY 

Please try our web site at [www.nintendo.com](http://www.nintendo.com) or call the Consumer                Assistance Hotline at 1-800-255-3700 for troubleshooting information                and/or referral to the nearest NINTENDO AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER.                In some instances, it may be necessary for you to ship the complete                product, FREIGHT PREPAID AND INSURED FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE, to the                nearest service location. Please do not send any products to Nintendo                without contacting us first.

WARRANTY LIMITATIONS 

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT                SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED                GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES);                (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); (c) IS MODIFIED                OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE                USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP;                OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED.

ANY APPLICABLE IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY                AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE HEREBY LIMITED IN DURATION                TO THE WARRANTY PERIODS DESCRIBED ABOVE (12 MONTHS OR 3 MONTHS,                AS APPLICABLE). IN NO EVENT SHALL NINTENDO BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL                OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE BREACH OF ANY IMPLIED OR                EXPRESS WARRANTIES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW                LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS OR EXCLUSION OF CONSEQUENTIAL OR                INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have                other rights which vary from state to state or province to province.

Nintendo's address is: Nintendo of America Inc., P.O. Box 957, Redmond,                WA 98073-0957 U.S.A.

This warranty is only valid in the United States and Canada.

:cool::cool:

My wife doesn’t think she can find any kind of receipt fo this. Not sure if the bank could help or not. It was certainly not a small purchase for us.

Thanks,
RM

By chance did you purchase it on a credit card?

If so, you could try contacting the credit card company a see what they can do for you in regards to paper work.

Have you tried contacting NINTENDO and making them aware of your situation?

See what kind of options you have.

We haven’t contacted anyone yet since we just found the problem tonight. I was purchased with a credit card (along with several other items). We will first contact Nintendo to see what we can do.

Thanks,
RM

Did you happen to read this in the Wii forums.

[B]The Question[/B]

The Wii was working fine yesterday. Now, it won’t turn on. I unplugged the console, got the red light, then pressed the power button and disc bay (blue) comes on and then the console shuts down. I can plug it and get the red light back and press the reset and nothing happens. I press the power button and then I have to unplug just to get the light light back…repeat the process and it all starts over.

[B]The Response[/B]

How long did you leave your Wii console unplugged?

If it was just a second or two, then try unplugging the AC Adapter from the wall outlet for at least a couple of minutes, as there is a circuit in the adapter that sometimes trips, especially if there was a brief electrical power failure from a thunderstorm or something else that causes the electricity in your home to flicker for a second.

But if you have tried leaving it unplugged for an extended amount of time, then give a call to Nintendo’s 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, or use their webform, as your console will need to be repaired, and they can set up the repair process for you.

Have you tried briefly reading through some of the scenarios and trying the suggestions.

[B]Link:[/B] http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board?board.id=wii_tech

Nope. :slight_smile: I’ve done nothing but post here (my team is playing right now). I’ll check the Nintendo forums tomorrow though. I was just hoping that someone else here might have been in the same boat.

RM

Thanks for your help. Your posts will point me in the right direction.

[QUOTE=RichMan;2452358]even though we did not reigster it last year.[/QUOTE]

I can recommend registering the Wii itself on the Nintendo site. I dunno about the US of A, but here in Europe you can save up for Star points. The Wii device itself gives you 500 points here. You can purchase lots of fun things with these star points.

And you can convert those star points to actual wii points on a 4:1 basis! So you can exchange 400 star points for 100 Wii Points. It’s easy “points” if you happen to purchase music or games from the Wii store.

Every original DS or Wii game gives you even more points using the scratch card.

I do hope your Wii is in warranty. If you have some purchase reciept (credit card or paper ticket), make sure it is included in the eventual shipment of the Wii to Nintendo.

If you don’t have a purchase reciept, contact the place you bought it and ask for a copy of the reciept again. Tell them your wii is broken and you want to claim the warranty. Most shops should be helpful. If not, contact someone in upper management. :slight_smile: