WD releases 4 TB desktop HDD with dual core processor

I just posted the article WD releases 4 TB desktop HDD with dual core processor.

Western Digital has announced its latest high capacity desktop hard disk drive (HDD) part of the WD Black series.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/wd-releases-4-tb-desktop-hdd-with-dual-core-processor-64915/](http://www.myce.com/news/wd-releases-4-tb-desktop-hdd-with-dual-core-processor-64915/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Santa!? Are you getting this Santa!? Hello!? :slight_smile:

Duke wants.

I just bought an external 3TB WD, but it’s almost full from all my Blu-ray rips. This would be nice to have, but if you’re really serious about data integrity then you’ll want something slower, like 5400 RPM.

Retail price is more than twice the cost of a Caviar Black 2TB. Hard to imaging it being any faster.

I thought dual core mobile type processors are slower than HDD controller chips… how is this a good thing? Perhaps the poster is implying it’s the same kind of chip design… which if it’s doing dedicated hdd functions it is not… Nevertheless usually there is a 5-10watt consumption threshold when in use… they’ve not been able to significantly put a dent in that consumption except with slower ‘green’ drives. New power savings will come from advanced ssd cacheing and HAMR technology-- can’t imagine the new designs consuming more than 15 watts.

Let me know when they release a 4 TB SSD. Until then WD can keep all their spinners.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2665148]Let me know when they release a 4 TB SSD. Until then WD can keep all their spinners.;)[/QUOTE]

OCZ have a 4TB SSD but it was about $18K last time I checked.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2665008]Duke wants.

I just bought an external 3TB WD, but it’s almost full from all my Blu-ray rips. This would be nice to have, but if you’re really serious about data integrity then you’ll want something slower, like 5400 RPM.[/QUOTE]

You could go for one of the R4 enterprise class drives. Still spins at 7200 but is far more solid and tweaked for RAID. Those 5400 green drives run cooler but aren’t necessarily more reliable than standard 7200 drives.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2665191]OCZ have a 4TB SSD but it was about $18K last time I checked.[/QUOTE]

For $18k it makes me wonder how much the R&D & MFG process REALLY cost…
many times these prices are overinflated because there is ZERO competition not becuase it just costs a multiple of $18k ($3k, $6k, $9k) to stamp out one drive to a niche market.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2665770]For $18k it makes me wonder how much the R&D & MFG process REALLY cost…
many times these prices are overinflated because there is ZERO competition not becuase it just costs a multiple of $18k ($3k, $6k, $9k) to stamp out one drive to a niche market.[/QUOTE]

This. Pretty much explains why SSD remain a marginalised technology.

That, and hard drives are tried and tested technology that has proven to be very reliable - and for most people who like myself use desktops, they won’t see any considerable advantage for me to make the switch to SSD.

I have no doubt they are better - But it’s that Betamax vs. VHS chicken and egg situation. Betamax offered superior picture quality; but it came at a cost. Only a small handful of manufacturers sold Betamax. VHS was sold to any and every manufacturer who wanted to make a quick buck - and the quality difference was negligable to the consumer.

“And already common in PCs, phones and tablets, the HDD has a dual core processor.”

WTF!? wd my ass.