WD Green vs Black HDD

vbimport

So my question is beyond the warranty of 3 vs 5 years. What if any benefits would I loose going with a Green HDD instead of a black HDD for my storage needs? I won’t be like running games from it but will have my avi, mkv videos on the drive besides being a storage HDD as well? Green does spin at 5400 vs 7200 for black HDD. But just running my videos and doing storage would I really notice 5400 vs 7200? So my question would be going green HDD would I loose any benefits besides the 7200 and 5 year warranty??? This is with the 3TB WD HDD.

Hi,

I think for plain storage (including your music and video collection), you should be fine with the Green series.

Michael

I would have to say as long as your not going to use it as a boot drive or try
and run games off of it you would be fine going with the 5400 RPM. The only
thing you would loose is 2 years warranty and the extra heat created from the
7200 RPM drive. :iagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2592400]the extra heat created from the
7200 RPM drive. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

This part I figured as much would be there for the faster drive.

I have two 750gb WB Blacks in my Desktop and they run no warmer than anything else.

Also reading the power consumption specs they don’t use materially more current than the Blue or green drives.

Frankly the only REAL difference with the Green drives is the color of the label
They have identical performance to the Blue drives.

In normal day to day use the Blacks don’t seem that much faster, but normal everyday isn’t
why I chose them,
First off I got them on sale at newegg and so they were the same price
as slower drives,
Second when those drives get really used is when I’m copying or moving a
large ammount of data all at once (often 60-100gb) and doing that those drives really shine
as the sustained read write rates make a difference…

But I discovered just the other day when another drive (one of my last Seagate 500gb drives) announced through my Win7 os that it was in danger of imminent failure, normally this wouldn’t be a serious issue, but the drive was my media playback drive… so I cleared the files off one of my 750 Blacks (by moving it to the other 750gb drive)
and copied my playback library to the newly empty one from my backups
and discovered that I should’ve switched from the 7200rpm Seagate drive to one of my WD blacks this time last year…

It is noticeably faster switching between files and directories.

Looking up the specs my seagate by it’s original specs has several times the latency and seek time of the WD750
And I’ve only got the 3.0Gb/sec drives

Generlly when looking for drives I decide what I can accept then wait as long as possible before buying it.
(Generally waiting for a Sale at Newegg:)

But “sales” on drives larger than 1.5TB are few and far between…

AD

I’m going to get a 3tb drive, haven’t decided which, but their getting real close to the $100 price point that I want. The other thing I would like to see is the next generation in aerial density, but I haven’t found any news on that yet.

In my experience, since the 7200RPM will spin faster than the 5400RPM drive there will be a performance boost which will be particularly noticed when you’re trying to hunt for files or catch up with itself. 5400 tends to be the smaller 2.5in hard drives, the likes you might see for laptops, but hard drives in particular before 2003 possibly had them in desktop computers. For anything strenous, like video editing, you will be praising for as much RPM as you can get - But there has been a correlation since the hard drive spins faster they could die quicker.

Not sure if that’s complete poppycock, but in day to day tasks you won’t notice the difference between the two speeds. I would go for the Black blindly because of the extra mileage you might get, extra warranty and an overall better performance. Since power consumption is lower on the Green series, they are more likely to be as inefficent as the black series.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2592653]I’m going to get a 3tb drive, haven’t decided which, but their getting real close to the $100 price point that I want. The other thing I would like to see is the next generation in aerial density, but I haven’t found any news on that yet.[/QUOTE]

I found on Newegg for the 3tb green HDD WD is 139 and the 2tb green HDD WD is 79. So for 2-2tb green HDD would cost around 160 for 4tb total while the 3tb is 139. But I am seriously thinking going the 3tb for the sale price they are offering so Eric should I jump for the 3tb??? It’s going to be a data and movie storage drive not a main boot drive as I mentioned before I already have a 320G HDD for that already with more then enough room on it to install running software. So if anyone else have some real world experiences using WD 2tb or 3tb drive their input would be of great help…

3TB, but for $120 :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2595607]3TB, but for $120 :)[/QUOTE]

I know but man I don’t know how long they will keep it at 139 for :sad: but if it goes to 120 I there…

here’s the deal, Amazon has the 3TB retail kit for $107 FS

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QMA882

With any new HDD you should do performance stress tests and a FULL format, may take many hours but is needed to make sure the drive is going to be reliable.

Oh, and additionally coolcolors, [I]get the best maximum hard drive that you can afford.[/I] Brand at this point doesn’t neccessarily matter - Users have had good experience with Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital… So if there are any of the brands going on sale, you’re going to be alright :slight_smile:

the black hdd is very different to green internally for has added some new technology inside, the main is DSA, at standard actuator added an precise motor ceramic piezoelectric for the second actuator .

Yo-

Western Digital very obviously knows the difference in quality and components of its drives - hence the FIVE year warranty for the Black vs. the THREE year for the green-eh!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2636367]Yo-

Western Digital very obviously knows the difference in quality and components of its drives - hence the FIVE year warranty for the Black vs. the THREE year for the green-eh![/QUOTE]

Might be possible you pay more for the Black drives for the extended five year warrenty perhaps? :slight_smile: