WD Caviar Green WD20EADS isnt being recognised

vbimport

Hello…
I just bought a new hard disk… a Western Digital WD20EADS caviar green…
the problem is it’s not being recognised by the BIOS…
The BIOS just recognises that something is connected, doesnt show any name and the size is 0mb…
Also, when this hard disk is connected, the pc restarts after POST during the windows xp loading screen…
when i remove the hard disk, XP loads just fine…
my motherboard is a biostar 865GV micro 478 Springdale-G…
please help me out in working this hard disk… thank you!

First off Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Sounds like a dead hdd to me or a bad SATA cable if the BIOS isn’t recognizing it at
all and XP is restarting itself with the hdd hooked up and is not doing it with the hdd
unhooked. :sad: :doh:

Does the drive spin up at all? :confused: Put your hand on the top of the drive when you are
starting the system up and see if you can feel it spinning up or feel any vibration from
it. If it is spinning up then check the SATA cable it might be bad and if that is not the
case then it is more than likely the hdd is dead and it wouldn’t be the first time anyone
has received a brand new dead hdd. :disagree:

i tried changing the cable, but it still wasn’t detecting, then i connected the hard disk to a friend’s computer and it wasn’t detecting there either…
i can feel the drive spinning though

is your friends computer fairly recent? , as your motherboard is sata 150 not sata 2 so that could be the issue with yours , and if your friends got an older sata 150 motherboard like yours that could be the problem , wouldnt hurt to rma the drive

You may need to set the jumper on the back of the drive then if your board only
supports SATA 150. I don’t remember right off hand which two pins you jump but
it restricts it SATA 150 instead of SATA 300.

Then again it could just be a DOA drive those WD20EADS are known to have a lot
of DOA’s just read the reviews on it at say newegg or just about anywhere for that
matter and they all have complaints of receiving them DOA.

Okay found the diagram for the pins to set it for SATA 150 you will need to scroll
down a little bit to get to the diagram but the pins are 5 & 6.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1679&p_created=&p_cats=185&p_cv=1.185&p_pv=2.294&p_prods=227%2C294

Here you go just read through the 1 and 2 eggs on the feedback on newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

the friend’s motherboard is fairly recent as compared to mine…
On my pc, ive tried all jumper combinations… none of which worked :frowning:

[QUOTE=kozxmartt;2547375]the friend’s motherboard is fairly recent as compared to mine…
On my pc, ive tried all jumper combinations… none of which worked :([/QUOTE]

Ok then sounds like a D.O.A. to me, time to RMA that thing back for a replacement
or a refund if it isn’t to late to get a refund on it. :doh: :frowning:

thanks for the tips… I had the hard disk replaced… the new one is working perfectly for me :smiley:

[QUOTE=kozxmartt;2548770]thanks for the tips… I had the hard disk replaced… the new one is working perfectly for me :D[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it is working for you now :clap: sometimes you just get a lemon
even with buying a brand new drive. :iagree: