WD 1080P HD Media Player $99

vbimport

I am mostly interested in keeping it as close to original as possible. I like to watch my movie on a very large screen, so the quality of the video is more important to me than the space it takes. I was just not sure if single file vob for this unit is the way. I don’t know if it can play a multi file vob.

I have not done much with Blu-ray, so I am not sure what codec that deals with either for this unit.

I’ve found that the best quality video for both HD and SD with this WD player is H.264 in an MKV container with AC3 sound. I would suggest reencoding all video to this format because of the exceptional file size:quality ratio for archiving material. It takes up less space and has better quality in this format, in my opinion.

Fortunately, there is freeware to do this- I’m using MeGUI with the x264 codec and getting unbelievable file sizes compared to standard DVD and Blu-Ray. It takes a good long time to encode, but the quality and space saving is worth it.

i have been getting/using MKV file with either DTS or AC3 of course. Would like to check out that MeGUI. that takes care of audio and video?? i stay with 720p as well. good enough for me. looks great. unit seems to have little issue with true 1080p files. doesnt hurt me at all tho.

Yes, it supports audio and video - but for most stuff you probably won’t need to reencode AC3, since it’s already very small compared to video. For me, I use AC3 over DTS because it is 1/2 the file size and it plays through the analog output of the WD player as a two channel mix which is all I need for my setup. I cannot get DTS to play on the WD except through the optical connection.

You can find MeGUI here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MeGUI

thanks for the addy on the MeGUI. Will check it out in the next few days. so do you use HDMI in your setup? or something else by chance? curious.

Yes, I run HDMI out for video to my Panny 42" Broadcast Plasma - but being it’s a pro industrial monitor, it lacks audio on board so I run RCA analog out of the WD player for audio.

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2180089]Yes, it supports audio and video - but for most stuff you probably won’t need to reencode AC3, since it’s already very small compared to video. For me, I use AC3 over DTS because it is 1/2 the file size and it plays through the analog output of the WD player as a two channel mix which is all I need for my setup. I cannot get DTS to play on the WD except through the optical connection.

You can find MeGUI here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MeGUI[/QUOTE]

would this be the best tool to backup regular dvds or are there other solutions just as good?

Breaking news guys… WD have released a major firmware update for the WD player:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

[QUOTE=Blodulv;2180419]would this be the best tool to backup regular dvds or are there other solutions just as good?[/QUOTE]

This is not a ripping solution, but an encoder. It presumes you already have demuxed files ready to go for reencoding.

It is only the best tool (IMHO) if you want to archive in x264 format for playback on your PC or on the WD player. On the WD player, x264 looks noticably better to the naked eye than a genuine VOB ripped from a DVD and it will save storage space.

If you are looking for a backup tool for regular DVDs to play on a DVD player, try ripping them with DVD Decrypter using Ripitforme, and then running them through Shrink or using IFOEdit to split into multiple DVDs.

Just to update you, I have installed the firmware update. You will be happy to know it doesn’t brick your machine. :wink:

most nice. thanks for the notice on the fw update. doing it now. hope it helps some with the 1080p playback. i went to 720p cuz it would mess up a little while playing 1080p. thanks.

^Upgraded mine. Works really well with 1080p files with >4 reference frames. No luck on DTS through the analogue outs though. Probably a licensing issue?

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2182163]This is not a ripping solution, but an encoder. It presumes you already have demuxed files ready to go for reencoding.

It is only the best tool (IMHO) if you want to archive in x264 format for playback on your PC or on the WD player. On the WD player, x264 looks noticably better to the naked eye than a genuine VOB ripped from a DVD and it will save storage space.

If you are looking for a backup tool for regular DVDs to play on a DVD player, try ripping them with DVD Decrypter using Ripitforme, and then running them through Shrink or using IFOEdit to split into multiple DVDs.[/QUOTE]

i was thinking of x264, and use the wd player to play the files :slight_smile:

For those that made the update without making a brick.

1.) Does one still have to eject the external drive before turning the WD TV off in order for it to properly be recognised next time you turn on WD TV?

2.) After you turn off WD TV does the external drive still stay’s powered?

[QUOTE=DREAMLINER;2182681]For those that made the update without making a brick.

1.) Does one still have to eject the external drive before turning the WD TV off in order for it to properly be recognised next time you turn on WD TV?

2.) After you turn off WD TV does the external drive still stay’s powered?[/QUOTE]

Just remove the external drive, makes the upgrade process far more foolproof. I used a 512MB flash drive I had lying around, the process was fast and painless.

As for your second query, yes… the external drive will stay on.

[QUOTE=Bhairav;2183213]Just remove the external drive, makes the upgrade process far more foolproof. I used a 512MB flash drive I had lying around, the process was fast and painless.

As for your second query, yes… the external drive will stay on.[/QUOTE]

Thank You Bhairav for your response, but my question does not have to do with doing the upgrade. I wanted to know if after the upgrade do you still have to eject the hard drive with the remote control in order for it to recognise it next time you turn on the WD TV.

Also you said that the external drive stays ON after you turn OFF the WD TV even after the firmware upgrade. I did not think these portable hard drives are suppose to be left on 24 hours a day, I may be wrong, but it seems silly to leave it on all the time. Is this the normal way the expect you to run the WD TV you think?

I have not been ejecting my drives and they come up just fine with mine. Then again, I didn’t notice that problem with the first firmware. I’ve not ever ejected drives with mine! LOL I just turned it off and unplugged the power cable on the WD player. It seems to still stay on when the unit is “off” so I had to unplug it.

Pretty poor design if I have to unplug this box everytime I stop using it. I can’t beleive this is the way it was suppose to work.

you must have an issue with it then. cuz i have not had to unplug it to use it again the next time. worked fine for me before and after the fw update.

[QUOTE=Cavalyr;2187430]you must have an issue with it then. cuz i have not had to unplug it to use it again the next time. worked fine for me before and after the fw update.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that when you turn off your WD TV the external drive is unpowered?

I have not heard anyone mention that after the firmware upgrade turning off the WD TV actually unpowers the external drives.