WD 1080P HD Media Player $99

vbimport

WD 1080P HD Media Player $99

BEST BUY has the Wester Digital 1080P HD Media Player for $99

Supported formats:
MPEG 1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4,Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H264), JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG
MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, AIF/AIFF, MKA

OK. Before everyone starts picking this thing apart. No, you cannot put a HDD in it. It has TWO USB connections so you can hook up TWO Ext HDDs. I bought the unit earlier today. It does NOT play ISO files. Plays MKV files just fine. As well as AVI. Those are the only two i have tried as of right now. and NO, it does not have a network connection to it. so no networking it. which would have made it most nice of course. Is a very small unit. Comes with a remote and batteries. Composite cables. Also has HDMI connection. I know there is prolly better out there. Hope someone gets some use out of this. I know i will. Imagine hooking 2x1TB ext hdd to this thing. would have movies for days. even if they are in MKV format. Good Luck all. Cav.

how’s output quality when using a (blu-ray as source of video) 720p/1080p x264 (.mkv) file?

cause if it’s close … then this play for 99 sure beats getting a real blu-ray player :wink:

i have a 32" LCD that will show 1080i. if i remember correctly that is. and the quality is great to me. i dont think you can hook up a ext dvd drive to it tho. but if you get your MKVs whichever way. then this may be the low price way to go. Good luck.

YES! Finally! MKV! 1080p!

Maybe now my OPPO DVD Player can rest.

Thank You for the post!

According to WD’s website, AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only. That would suck, since most of my MKV’s have 5.1 audio.

Can you please verify, using the optical connection?

[QUOTE=r_saotome;2151444]

According to WD’s website, AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only. That would suck, since most of my MKV’s have 5.1 audio.

[/QUOTE]

That would be a deal breaker for me as well… Most, if not all, of my mkv’s have 5.1 (and I have the audio system that really does make the difference between 2, 5, and 7 channels …stand out.

A Popcorn Hour A-110 media streaming/player has been @ the top of my wish list, it does quite a bit more than this WD media player in terms of configuration, options and future proofing via s/w updates, but at about 100$ more in price.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=6&main_id=0&category_id=

I like this WD player though…it’s the right price for some very nice features that most would be satisfied with.

Just want to point you all in the direction of the Slickdeals thread going on about this unit. That way maybe a few more of your possible questions can be answered.

Slickdeals Thread

Good luck.

Key point with the 5.1 in MKV, is that the WD unit only decodes two channels. It supports passthru via the optical.

[QUOTE=adderal;2151620]That would be a deal breaker for me as well… Most, if not all, of my mkv’s have 5.1 (and I have the audio system that really does make the difference between 2, 5, and 7 channels …stand out.

A Popcorn Hour A-110 media streaming/player has been @ the top of my wish list, it does quite a bit more than this WD media player in terms of configuration, options and future proofing via s/w updates, but at about 100$ more in price.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=6&main_id=0&category_id=

I like this WD player though…it’s the right price for some very nice features that most would be satisfied with.[/QUOTE]

really good tech break down and review

I’m pretty sold. I hope to mod the heck out of it eventually, mini nas possibly?

This WDTV Media player is amazing!!! I don’t need more than 2 channel audio, so this thing is perfect for me… no need for beta-ray or defunt HD-DVD.

I was fortunate enough to get one of these yesterday before they sold out in my area.

glad to hear a few of you are satisfied with this unit. especially if all you are using is AVIs and what not. imagine a 1TB ext HDD with 700MB AVIs on it. hehe…would have quite a few movies on there.

[QUOTE=adderal;2151899]really good tech break down and review

http://maddhat.com/?p=31

I’m pretty sold. I hope to mod the heck out of it eventually, mini nas possibly?[/QUOTE]

wow thats small…thanks for the link…it sounds like an awesome play…very surprising to see that it player 1080p files with no issues at all!!

if you get this thing working with a NAS or with PC, please let me know. would be most nice. otherwise, 1TB ext hdd will have to do…hehe.

There’s also a thread over at Videohelp.com about this unit. People are experimenting with all types of files to see just what this can and can’t play.

Just to update this thread in terms of my experience, I ended up returning this thing and plunking down an extra 115$ to get in the waiting line for a Popcorn Hour A-110…

I’m a self-admitted geek and the configuring and tweaking the popcorn hr demands and offers appeals to me much more than WD’s offering.

I appreciate the player and easy to use interface, and hopefully with a firmware update, many listing options…ability to read mkv subtitles and do pass through of dts-ma and true-hd comes about. as well as the ability to read 1080p mkv’s with more than 8-9 reference frames at L@5.1

Too many of my 1080p collected rips (about 65) are encoded too aggressively… 37 of them played.

If I didn’t have a ps3 (mkv2vob makes the whole process easy to split down to 4gb vobs for playback and internal hard drive , mine is 320gb, has no FAT32 file size limitation) or xbox 360 already and the popcorn hr was too much setup and tweaking for my comfort level …i’d def go w or recommend the WD player

Great for portability though!

[QUOTE=adderal;2154649]
Too many of my 1080p collected rips (about 65) are encoded too aggressively… 37 of them played.

[/QUOTE]

I’ve not yet found any 1080p files that wouldn’t play on mine so far. How aggressive is “too aggressive”?

can someone help me out with this L@5.1 stuff? i have seen different numbers around for this. what exactly is it? and make sure to keep an eye out on the slickdeals thread. they are continuously updating theirs as well. only movie i had a problem with atm is Monsters Inc. plays fine but no video. still need to mess with it tho.

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2154832]I’ve not yet found any 1080p files that wouldn’t play on mine so far. How aggressive is “too aggressive”?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, anything not DXVA compliant…

a good break down on AVS

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12728994#post12728994

However, Sigma (the chipset maker for the WD, one of the nicer ones avail) made a workaround in their SDK to give some minor support for High@L5.1 profile, thus folks are able to use certain formulas to compute what will be ‘within’ the WD current ‘smooth’ playback requirements…seems to be hinging on included reference frames within the encode.

I’m pulling this from the VideoHelp thread and referencing AVS quite a bit. The Engadget comment thread system is tailing off into repetitive questions and not so much of the technical break down and testing.

All of my testing supports Squash’s breakdown/summarization post on pg 3 of the videohelp thread.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929-30.html

Keep in mind, firmware updates and development on this WD could yield lots of improvements, the Sigma 8635 chipset is used in the Popcorn Hour, hence, quite a bit of capability.

In doing some testing, the WD player does not support WMV-HD in the container WMV (that is yourfilename.wmv). I have tried changing the extension to .m2ts which made it attempt to play, but it ultimately could not parse the file. I also tried changing to .vc1 and .ts with no joy.

This could be annoying for those who own some older HD stuff like the T3 extreme edition in WMV.

Which format is the suggested to keep the quality as close to original? VOB?

If I start converting my movies to vob, should I do a single large vob file, or will it read a split vob file?

[QUOTE=DREAMLINER;2179479]Which format is the suggested to keep the quality as close to original? VOB?

If I start converting my movies to vob, should I do a single large vob file, or will it read a split vob file?[/QUOTE]
The reason for a unit like this is it’s ability to play all the various new, space saving, high quality compression formats, especially HD. Coming off a clean source even the lowly Xvid (in high quality mode) can produce excellent results while cutting the size of a standard DVD in half.

To answer your question a single large file will be easier to deal with.