Wavelab: Does it require an ASPI layer?

Hi. I am curious about Wavelab 4.01a. I know it can burn audio CDs, however the info at the Steinberg site is severely lacking. All I want to know is whether Wavelab needs an ASPI layer, and that piece of data is not available from Steinberg’s. I am running XP Pro SP1 and I would surely appreciate an answer. Thanks.

XP has SPTI (SCSI Passthrough Interface). Apps should use this … but do you have a problem? Why should Steinberg want to use Adaptec’s ASPI? (They may, I don’t know).

Thanks for your reply. I have both Gear Pro Mastering Edition and Nero 60023 installed in my system, and neither requires an ASPI layer, however, I feel that neither one of those apps are the best as far as audio mastering and recording, so I wanted to know before installing the demo whether I was gonna be greeted by the “update ASPI” message that I truly hate. Steinberg makes great software, but they are pathetic as far as giving relevant info about their product line. They don’t reply to emails either (I guess if I had registered the app they’d be more responsive, but why should I buy something without knowing exactly how it works and what are the requirements to unlock its full functionality). Wow, what a long post. I thank you once again for your prompt reply. Cheers.

Originally posted by mercury
Thanks for your reply. I have both Gear Pro Mastering Edition and Nero 60023 installed in my system, and neither requires an ASPI layer,
Nero uses a WNASPI32.DLL located in its own folder and the gear.dll is also an ASPI API of sorts :wink:

VOB uses ASAPI
Padus uses pfc.sys
Elaborate Bytes’ own ELBYCDIO
Blinwrite uses something from Poikosoft …

… the list goes on.

ASPI is Adaptec but there are many other I/O file systems :wink:

I found out that Wavelab uses ASAPI, so I’ll be installing this proggie. Cheers and thanks again.