Watching DVD from HDD Via Xbox 360

I own DVDFab and several hundred DVDs. I have been using DVDFab to make back ups of my purchased DVDs. But now that I have the storage, I was wondering if I could just backup my DVDs to storage and play them through my Xbox 360. I see that DVDFab allows me rip a DVD to Xbox 360 format (I assume AVI) but will that diminish picture quality in any way or remove the digital surround sound? If this is possible, what would be the optimal DVDFab settings to accomplish this?

I’m trying to find optimal settings for that myself. If you have the mobile option (kinda sounds like you do) the XBOX 360 with wmp10 setting works great and produces great picture at 2000+ kbps video bit rate. As far as surround sound this setting is supposed to support it and seems to on my system. I’m not sure if I’m getting 5.1 or a good up convert to 5.1 from my system. I have also seen some post about people having issues this the channels not playing correct on XBox 360. Seems fine for me so far.

I don’t have an XBox. I play these through media center on my HTPC.

Ok I went back and found some of my previous posts in regards to xBox360, one thing I do recall is WMC on Vista is very restrictive and does not support AVI files, all my testing was done with WXP and WMP11.

Following is what I dug out:

You might also try the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy. xBox supports these files and they rip faster.
Xbox 360 will pass through DTS from a DVD but willnot decod DTS from a streamed file.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f163/dvdfab-5230-slow-xbox360-convert-262314/
OK I stole my step daughters xBox 360… hey it’s pretty cool…and hooked it up to my development environment.

Straight up it had no problems playing WMV files I had created prior to discovering DVDfab.

Next step I choose an avi file (Bangkok Dangerous), gave me an error messege that I needed to connect to xBox live and update the system. So I go through the sign up process and connect to xBox Live. I go back to media an tryto kick off BD, and I get the same message, except now there is a button to perform the upgrade. I select upgrade and 30 sec later Bangkok Dangerous is playing in all it’s glory.

Bottom line, if the xBox360 profile is too slow use the Generic.xvid.avi.audiocopy profile.

Unless things have changed, with XP and Windows Media Player 11 streaming to the XBox 360 only the WMV formats allow for 5.1 audio. Not sure about playing them locally, but I believe using Windows Media Center will add to the available 5.1-enabled formats.

[QUOTE=jdbower;2410181]Unless things have changed, with XP and Windows Media Player 11 streaming to the XBox 360 only the WMV formats allow for 5.1 audio. Not sure about playing them locally, but I believe using Windows Media Center will add to the available 5.1-enabled formats.[/QUOTE]All my movies are use XVID AC3 5.1 but when I tested it I was not focused on the sound.

Here is an article I found that says 5.1 is supported

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360-divx%5Cxvid-test/xbox-360-divxxvid-tested-it-plays-almost-everything-329769.php

Another one:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_avi_files_on_xbox_360.cfm

Problem with using xBox 360 is 2 fold, 1 streaming movies is not it’s primary function, 1 it’s a microsoft product.

Good luck, I am not going anywhere near my daughters room to do any more testing, 16 yr old’s room are on the super fund list.