Was it a mistake buying TY?

vbimport

I recently bought a NEC-3520 dvd writer so I went to CDW and bought a 50 pack of Taiyo Yuden. The sticke on the 50 pack says “TAIYO YUDEN 8X DVD+R 50DISK”. I made some video dvd’s and while playing them on a standalone the picture started to randomly pause. That never happened with Verbatim disks I used to use (with a Plextor 708 drive - may it RIP :sad: ). So I ran KProbe and Nero CD-DVD Speed on the TY and here is what I have:

Date : 2/24/2005 5:21:47 PM
Model : 1-0-0-0 JLMS XJ-HD163D GHR8
Disc : DVD-ROM , [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2285861
Sampling count : 103016
Errors : 0
PI Max : 424
PI Average : 37.77
PI Total : 640056
PIF Max : 170
PIF Average : 3.68
PIF Total : 62364

And CD-DVD Speed gives the following:

It looks like at the 3.5 mark everything goes to hell. I tried couple of other burns (one with 1.U6 firmware) and they all look the same. I then burned a Maxell DVD-RW just to compare and the graph on CD-DVD Speed looks fine - no drop off at 3.5.

Any ideas? Should I just stick with Verbatim? Anyone want to buy 45 blank TY DVD’s :)?

What speed did you burn them at?

I burned the media at 16X, 8X and then 4X and they all looked the same. Even though this is 8X media, Nero gave me the option to burn at 16X. The CD-DVD Speed picture is from a 4X burn and the KProbe output is from a 16X burn.

Thanks.

Scanning with a 163 ROM drive produces meaningless results.

I did not know about the 163 ROM drive. The CD-DVD Speed tests were done on the 3520.

Yo-

In the future - you may want to try -R media in your 3520-

Both my 3500’s prefer -R media in 8x Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell-

Mike

If you encounter playback issues @ 8X burn, then you have bad media. Retest using Verbatim. If the Verb disc doesn’t skip, then you need to return the bad Yudens.

The NECs are real speed demons when it comes to ripping and reading burned SL discs. I would suspect that they are not able to sustain a reliable read at that high a rate and that is what you are seeing. I have started to see similar results as yours in a number of different postings. Before I dumped the TYs I would want to check out a scan with Kprobe or CDSpeed’s quality scan on another supported burner. If you look at what the above scan is telling you it really says the disc reads fine up to 14X. Most readers will not even hit that speed and so you will never see the last problems.

True, but the burned DVD has playback issues. Again, retest at 4X or 8X with the Yuden and Verbatim. The 3520 will not be able to read well above 14X. There are exceptions. Most of the older 3500s are immune from this problem.

Here is a CD-Speed scan that I did with my 3520 on a Verbatim disk that I burned with my old plextor. It looks perfect all the way up to 16X.

So it seems the 3520 is able to read reliably at 16X.

I called CDW and they said they would take back the TY disks. Now my only question is what should I get. Following are my choices:

CDW

TY’s are out and so are Memorex because I’ve never had good luck with them. I’ve had good luck with Verbatim so they are an option? Are there any better ones on that list that I should consider?

Also, I mainly put movies on the DVD’s so should I stick with +R or -R? I think +R support bitsetting making them more compatible with dvd players. Is that true? And if so, should I stick with +R?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far…

You should take a look at this post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=837542&postcount=21

If your TY (I’m assuming T02) are from batch 1125, you might want to ask CDW if you can have a newer batch. Some people still think newer branded T02 isn’t up to snuff, but certain batches were apparently absolutely attrocious.

I assume you tried TY in the first place because something about their reputation appealed to you; if one more (possible) return is palatable to you, you could give TY a second chance.

Look for Made in Japan Maxell…DVD+R 8X.