Warning: Total Noob Question

First… This is a great forum, and after lurking about a week, decided to come in from the cold.
My present optical drives consists of a Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1633S and a 56X Aopen CDR. Which was ok for backing up my older games.
Now that I’m beginning to gather more and more DVDs, its become important to begin to back these up. (I live in a hurricane zone)
To that end I would like your advice for the necessary hardware addition:
Should I simply purchase a DVD reader? Or a combo CD/DVDR?
Or spend a few more bucks and get another (better?) DVDRW and use the Lite-On as the reader.
I apologize for the fairly noob questions, but unfortunately, thats where I’m at. :confused:
In my own defense, I’ll say that I did manage to stumble through building my own system.
Actually got it to run. :wink:

Just use the burner you have as your source (i.e. reader). If you’re doing any kind of DVD copying, you should be saving either an ISO or the DVD-video files to your hard drive first anyway. Then burn to disc from your hard drive.

So it should be a 2 project process. I’ll use Nero as an example, but it would be similar for no matter what software you are using to make that copy. Your first project would be to do a disc copy, and choose your burner as your Source drive, and Image Recorder as your Destination drive. Once that is completed, you would choose a new project to burn that image. In which case the Image would be your Source, and the burner would be your Destination.

Hope that helps some! And if it doesn’t, I can always try to clarify. Or someone else can explain it better than I can. :stuck_out_tongue:

get a DVD burner=1640/1655/3550/4550/1693(P6) if you decide to buy one! Most new burners are very fast readers! $38.99 at newegg.com shipped on their weekend specials!

Thanks taktikalnuke.
Let me make sure I got this right.

Your first project would be to do a disc copy, and choose your burner as your Source drive,

Got it!

and Image Recorder as your Destination drive

Er… this is the hard drive? :confused:

choose a new project to burn that image. In which case the Image would be your Source, and the burner would be your Destination.

This “Image”= hard drive. Got it!
Sorry to be a pest. I probably tend to be over careful. :o
Thanks for your input etp.
Have to confess that NewEgg gets about 90% of my hardware business.
I’ll monitor this and may go for it after a few practice shots with what I have.