Warning to LG drive owners who plan to install Mandrake 9.2

I just posted the article Warning to LG drive owners who plan to install Mandrake 9.2.

Liggy used our    news submit  to let us  know that Mandrake Linux support have warned not to install Mandrake 9.2 on any  machine with an LG-based CD-ROM drive.   Many users have reported...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6964-Warning-to-LG-drive-owners-who-plan-to-install-Mandrake-9_2.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6964-Warning-to-LG-drive-owners-who-plan-to-install-Mandrake-9_2.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I say it’s not LG who is at fault. The reason is that according to the news report the damage occurs even during a network install. I could understand if the drive would become damaged during a normal install from a CD, but during a network - definitely mandrake has some issues to work out…

IMHO it’s not fair to put ashame the LG drives itself… as u surely know, every firmware flashing utility is purely software based… so it’s the software that can corrupt a drive (read: corrupt a drive’s firmware,actually) not vice versa… it’s definitely mandrake that has to get beaten over this issue, LG are “just” short of luck in being directly targeted for such a nuisance (a pretty bad one, indeed) :S

Mandrake = virus…do we need to make Norton, SopHos et al aware? Not even Micro$oft have managed a cock up as bad as this… So who’s to be first with a lawsuit?

I don’t think Mandrake intentionally sends IDE commands to the drive which start flashing. Is it possible to flash a misflashed LG drive again like for example drives with mediatek chipset? If that’s possible, one could easily find out if it’s just a matter of an accidentally misflashed BIOS. If not then it’s up to LG to provide a fix. I hope it’s not too hard to find out, what causes the damage

LG may build respectable electronic domestic devices, but when it comes to computer stuff, LG sucks! Their CD/DVD drives are the worst I’ve ever seen, and their monitors are always blinking, even at 60Hz, and what about their discs? they begin to decay after two years of recording… No ladies and gentlemen, Never Ever buy LG computer products! :wink:
[edited by ShadowBlaster on 25.10.2003 19:43]

Congratulations, ShadowBlaster, you just made a fool out of yourself. First, their monitors do blink at 60Hz, but not because they suck, it’s because the refresh rate is too low, and any monitor, even sony, samsung and iiyama will blink at 60Hz. That “blinking” you refer to will disappear if you increase the refresh rate to 75-100Hz. Congrats. Second, AFAIK LG does not manufacture their own CDRs, I think they mostly use prodisc so saying LG CDRs suck is like saying Toyota suck because that cheap fuel pump made in vietnam failed. Third, I owned LG 16/10/40x CD-RW and it was one of the best I ever had, not one coaster, very quiet, especially compared to LiteOn burners, and very high quality burns. After I upgraded to top of the line Plextor Premium and did some C1/C2 testing I was unpleasantly surprised that Premium burns weren’t that much better than those of LG.

^ claps for thyfleshconsumed

This is a Mandrake Problem. As the article stated, it even happens on network installs when the drive is not being used. You would think that MandrakeSoft would provide a quick fix for this problem. This type of problem is un-heard of, and, as a result, I will NOT be trying Mandrake 9.2

I read at Brennmeister.com that LiteOn has this problems too :r