Warning to LG drive owners who plan to install Mandrake 9.2

Liggy used our news submit to let us know that Mandrake Linux support have warned not to install Mandrake 9.2 on any machine with an LG-based CD-ROM drive.  Many users have reported that installing Mandrake Linux 9.2 particularly on Dell computers with an LG drive ended up rendering their LG CD-ROM drive unusable, even after multiple reboots.  This includes network installations also.

Error scenario: Installing 9.2 and being told unable to install the base system and subsequent reboot reveals that CD-ROM drive is physically dead.

Why: According to LG Electronics, their ODD (Optical Disc Drive) products do not support Linux nor do they test with Linux. Unfortunately, many Dell computers (possibly others) come with these CD-ROM drives.

Solution: Currently there is no solution or work-around for this issue; it is still under investigation. Damage occurs even when doing a network install. At this point, please do not install Mandrake Linux 9.2 on any computer containing a LG-based CD-ROM drive or it will damage your CD-ROM drive! We are actively looking for a solution to this problem.

I had Mandrake 8 corrupt the BIOS in my previous machine.  While it installed fine, the computer crashed while Mandrake ran its soundcard configuration utility.  When I tried rebooting, the PC would lock up just after displaying the IDE device list before the boot stage. 🙁  Later on when I built a new PC I gave Mandrake 8.2 another try, but this time it would crash when ever I loaded any CD in my Samsung SW408 CD-Recorder!  I have switched over to Redhat Linux 9 and have not tried any later Mandrake version so far.

Liggy wrote:  If the LG drives hardware can be destroyed simply with some software, then it's not a plus for their drives in my opinion. One should consider a second thought if you should really buy their drives. In my opinion it's definitively a drive problem and it may happen to every other operating system anytime!

Source: Mandrake Linux

No posts to display