Warning Maxell Protek Seperating

Look who has become unlucky again.:(:(:frowning:

After the problems I had with TY earlier. (Disc’s falling a part)
I’m currently encountering Problems with Maxell Protek DVD-R.

Let me give a warning if you have Proteks with Minor airbubles don’t be suprise that things got worse after you put it in your drive.

But it looks like we’re doomed.:a(Or at least I am when it comes to bonding )

So anyone else being unlucky with the Maxell Proteks ?

So for all the people still interested in European stock of Protek’s.
You can have them, that is if you still want them.

I will try to fix scans later when I can find some time for that. Currently to busy.

No problems here so far, these tiny air bubbles where about on the disc should I be looking? inner or outer?

When you say things get worse do you mean the scans or the bonding.

Sorry to hear about your problems, [B]dakhaas[/B].

I have some small air bubbles in the inner hub of some of my Maxell Xtreme ProTeks from SVP, but they don’t separate any more easily than my other DVDs without air bubbles (at least so far).

There is also no indication from scans that there is any problems with my ProTeks as a result of these air bubbles.

For my ProTeks so far, I consider it a mere cosmetic problem.

It went from small airbubles. To a big bubble over the dye. Just not yet touching the recorded area. This was Happened after I took the disc out of the Philips stand alone DVD player. Never seen this behaviour befor. That after normal playing the bonding got really bad.
But seeing how bad it worked out. I’m personally not going to use this media for any archiving. To risky. But for every day use with this behaviour they are also not a right option, seeing the behaviour.

For scans it’s probably a bit to early. But the looks suggests that this will give problems. It reaches the recording area.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2199936]This was Happened after I took the disc out of the Philips stand alone DVD player.[/QUOTE]How long had that disc been in the player? Was the player turned on or in standby mode the whole time the disc was in that player?

What i am getting at, was there low level heat on it for any length of time?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2199922]I have some small air bubbles in the inner hub of some of my Maxell Xtreme ProTeks from SVP, but they don’t separate any more easily than my other DVDs without air bubbles (at least so far).[/QUOTE]

Same here but not on all the discs thats the air bubbles, I have seen this on one or two retail discs though.

I haven’t played anything in my dvd player for a long period as I have been using the discs for storage but I will burn something off and watch it to see if anything happens.

What batch number were those discs?

[QUOTE=Bob;2199945]How long had that disc been in the player? Was the player turned on or in standby mode the whole time the disc was in that player?

What i am getting at, was there low level heat on it for any length of time?[/QUOTE]

The following happened.
Player was in standby mode. Put it on. Put the disc in.
Watched the contents which took 1 hour and 47 minutes.
Then took the disc out of the player. And saw what had happened.
Temperature of the disc is slightly warmer as something normally stored and at a normal temperature rate for comming out of a player. (NOT hot !)(A estimate guess suggests 20-30 degrees C. Which means it should be able to handle it easilly !). The temperature of the disc’s when comming out of the burner is higher and then I didn’t had any problems.

Serial number is:M4JD125B (or something like that)

On the bubbles. This spindle has disc’s with small, larger and disc’s without bubbles.
The disc that went nuts had 2 small bubbles befor it went in to the player.

yeah i just meant did you leave the disc in for days (in the player with it on or in standby). I should have known better than to ask that as i know you for one would not do that but … i had to ask.

I have worked with polystyrene beads before and i know for a fact that each company that makes them they are different in some ways (pentane gas,reactor manufacturing etc…) . So when these disc companies get their raw supplies/material not all can be the same. Could be the glue. Could be the plastics. Could be the dye etc… this happens when taking bids on raw material and the lowest bid winner gets the sale.

it’s most likely the glue incombination with the proces

Man oh mah, why is the quality of DVD discs so low…

Thanks for the heads up, dakhaas.

I just got three 100pc spindles of these.

Burn well, scan well, but now I must start inspecting for bubbles.

• sigh -

Is this an example of a [B]single[/B] problematic disc being blown out of proportion and repeated again by other people, so that the general consensus becomes [I]all Maxell ProTek must be bad[/I]? :confused:

If I were to warn about all the DVD media where I’ve had bad results of some sort, I would have to warn against using such media as YUDEN000 T02, TYG03, MCC 003, MCC 004, all CMC media, and probably others.

I suggest we keep this in the proper perspective of [B]one[/B] disc delaminating so far.

Maybe I should make this in a general warning for Maxell Protek.

Yep I got unlucky again. :frowning:
So last weekend I burned disc’s from spindle 2.

The good news is that spindle 2 looks better bonded. (Still last one delamination was tricky. So maybe it’s to fast to cheer.)

The bad news is that my Video dvd’s burned with my plextor/benq stutter sometimes on my notebook. Same content on Verbatim DVD+R or Ridata (Ritek P16) plays back fine. So it’s the media.
I will post the exact drive model and the firmware of the notebook dvd writer later today.

ALso I will see if the notebook drive does play fine disc’s of spindle 1 and some of my normal maxell jewelcased media.

[quote=dakhaas;2218565]The bad news is that my Video dvd’s burned with my plextor/benq stutter sometimes on my notebook. Same content on Verbatim DVD+R or Ridata (Ritek P16) plays back fine. So it’s the media.[/quote] Is this the ProTek DVD-R or DVD+R ?

My Maxell Xtreme ProTek 16x DVD+R (MAXELL 003) doesn’t play in my extremely picky DVD player used for testing purposes (the same is true for a lot of media) while the DVD-R (MXL RG04) plays fine.

No other testing method I have used shows any sign that the ProTek DVD-R should be better than the DVD+R but there it is.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2218568]Is this the ProTek DVD-R or DVD+R ?

My Maxell Xtreme ProTek 16x DVD+R (MAXELL 003) doesn’t play in my extremely picky DVD player used for testing purposes (the same is true for a lot of media) while the DVD-R (MXL RG04) plays fine.

No other testing method I have used shows any sign that the ProTek DVD-R should be better than the DVD+R but there it is.[/QUOTE]

It’s -R. To tired to hook up the notebook to see what drive it uses. Will do that tomorrow as well as looking up the other stuff.

[quote=DrageMester;2199922]I have some small air bubbles in the inner hub of some of my Maxell Xtreme ProTeks from SVP, but they don’t separate any more easily than my other DVDs without air bubbles (at least so far).[/quote] I just made a few more tests trying to physically separate some DVDs starting at the inner hub, and the Maxell Xtreme ProTek 16x DVD-R with airbubbles in the inner hub are at least as difficult to separate as the Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MBIL) and HP branded CMC 16x DVD+R I just tried if not more so, and a lot more difficult to separate than the Verbatim 8x DVD+R (CMC) I tried.

The polycarbonate in the hub has a tendency to break before the two sides delaminate for these Maxell Xtreme ProTeks when I try to force the sides apart.

There is also no indication from scans that there is any problems with my ProTeks as a result of these air bubbles.

For my ProTeks so far, I consider it a mere cosmetic problem.
This still holds true for my ProTeks.

No playback problems in the first spindle. The one with the sloppy bonding.
No problems with the normal jewelcased maxells.

I will burn some more video to see if it’s a few bad disc’s on top or if it’s somethng else.

Will update also on the notebook drive with the next post.

Playback on my parents Philips player doesn’t go nice if you fastforward through the disc. In the other cases no problems.
My friends ultra cheap dvd player also only gets problematic when it’s fast forwarding. Weird. Because if it’s truely crap media the thing will choke.

About bonding. Spindle 1 with the delaminated disc fluctuates much when it comes to bonding quality. Some stuff with giant bubbles sits really well some stuff with hardly bubbles is quite loose. No way to tell without destroying the disc’s. This is a terrible behaving batch. Any disc that I used as archiving copy is currently reburned, because of this unpredictable behaviour.

Update the drive in the notebook is a LG GSA-U20N HX10.
Recognition on the ps2 takes longer then normal for this spindle of proteks. However no playback problems were noticed.