WARNING! LDW-811S (LDW-401/411S) and region freedom

vbimport

As some already noticed:

RPCDE /RPCDE2 will actually kill LDW-811S drives. RPCDE / RPCDE2 is made for Lite-On DVD-ROM drives and should not be used with DVD-Writers.

liteonutil made by Nic W. is also said to kill some LDW-811S drives.

LtnRPC is safe to use for almost any Liteon manufactured drive.

If you did “kill” your drive and get a blinking orange light, you can check [post=579117]this post[/post] for instructions on how you can recover your drive.
[/Edited by code65536]

I would advise everyone out there to ry the following software that can be downloaded from the website listed

It is called DVD X Player Pro totally region free by construction that is no other additionall addons to the setup are required such as DVD genie or region free.

OC-Freak edit:
Ooops, no links to warez here!

Ummm - I’d like to know exactly WHY these app’s are killing drives.

Somebody explain…

:eek: :frowning:

My guess is that the DVD-Writers have the RPC information another place in the EEPROM than the DVD-ROM’s and then the programs blindly changes some info in the EEPROM - but for DVD-Writers they changes it at the wrong place and instead messes up some essential information in the EEPROM.

Maybe some more technical experienced people have a better explanation?

Originally posted by kunwar
[B]I would advise everyone out there to ry the following software that can be downloaded from the website listed

It is called DVD X Player Pro totally region free by construction that is no other additionall addons to the setup are required such as DVD genie or region free.

link to download is

http://www.xxx.html [/B]

Hey, no warez and no links to warez sites pls.
:a

As you may or may not know I removed my liteonutil because of reports of it killing some drives. It is WRONG to say they were 811s or 411s drives, I have had no such reports. All those complaining of killing the drives were OEM liteons.

However none of these reports have been confirmed and no-one has provided me with any evidence.

The changes are also NOT hacked in, nor is the eeprom manually manipulated by the program. An official Liteon MMC command is issued to do the change which is why I find the killing drives reports strange.

I did not want to take chances so I removed the program. If anyone can assist me to throw some light on this, I would be grateful so I can re-release the program

cheers
NicW
www.dvdinfopro.com
www.dvdrrw.org

Originally posted by nicw
[B]As you may or may not know I removed my liteonutil because of reports of it killing some drives. It is WRONG to say they were 811s or 411s drives, I have had no such reports. All those complaining of killing the drives were OEM liteons.

However none of these reports have been confirmed and no-one has provided me with any evidence.

The changes are also NOT hacked in, nor is the eeprom manually manipulated by the program. An official Liteon MMC command is issued to do the change which is why I find the killing drives reports strange.

I did not want to take chances so I removed the program. If anyone can assist me to throw some light on this, I would be grateful so I can re-release the program

[/B]

Hello NicW!

First, everything is possible, but in my case not the 811s drive concerning.:smiley:

My 811s is a retail drive, and use it together with the LiteonUtil.

Till today no problems at all, the tool is doing the job in a proper way, and I cannot complain about it.

For those girls and guys that are seeking for the tool: send me a private message with your email-adress and you get the tool.

I repeat: I have NOT an OEM 811s drive, it’s a RETAIL drive.

Using the tool is your OWN matter, possible damaging or destroying your drive is YOUR choice, but again, I’m using the tool without any problems.:cool:

Ciao,

Klondike

We have a new lite-on RPC util.
posted by -OC-Freak-:slight_smile:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82927&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

To me it looks the same we are “talking” about here…

I read the warning about RPCDE2 too late. My LDW-811S is not working any longer. It is flashing an orange LED all the time, no disks are recognized at all.
(Re)flashing firmware doesn’t solve the problem (yes, it is still possible to change firmware).
Is there a way to undo the changes made by RPCDE2?

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]We have a new lite-on RPC util.
posted by -OC-Freak-:slight_smile:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82927&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

To me it looks the same we are “talking” about here… [/B]

I cannot see that thread, I get an error. Why?

Originally posted by Thorz
I cannot see that thread, I get an error. Why?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83089

So this new region util works ok?

is it safe to use on the 811s??? what happens if you use the tool, it works ok, then you try a firmware upgrade and the checksum routine in the new firmwares chokes on the modded eeprom and you get the dreaded orange flashing light?!

Anyone knows what RPCDE2 actually changes in the drive?
Address 0x0100 seems to be affected in the internal-part-i-will-not-mention. Are any other addresses changed as well? If not, I might be able to reconstruct the checksum of the drive…

Good news :slight_smile:
I managed to fix my drive by entering the correct value at address 0x0100 of the EEPROM, using the tool-that-is-not-allowed-to-be-mentioned. I started with value 0x00 and increased the value by 1 up till 0x97 (and rebooting after every increase). I took me a few hours, but the drive is back in working order. So it seems RPCDE2 only writes to address 0x100, where part of the EEPROM checksum of the LDW-811S is located.
It was pretty stupid of me to use that hack on the wrong type of drive. However, keeping a copy of your specific EEPROM is probably a good idea for everyone. It clearly is easy to destroy the drive using some software. Let’s hope for Liteon that there never will be a virus that attacks their drives…

Hi all

I have two problems - 1 relates to new version of ImageDrive with Nero 6 (another thread on CD Freaks tackles this), and the other is my new LDW-411S drive.

So far I have destroyed 3 DVDs when burning them - roughly about 5% through the burn process (it varies) and Nero brings up a burn failure message. I have been trying to burn from both DVD Shrink3 and Nero Recode 2. More drink coasters.

I was showing the brother-in-law the Liteonutil for my DVD ROM LTD-163D when I selected the 411S instead and set it for region free. It was late in the evening, after a few beers hmmm… You get the picture.

The other thing that is confusing the hell out of me is that the LDW-411S shows revision FSOG; the latest revision on the Lite-on site is FSOF. How can this be? I try and burn the firmwear for FSOF and it says “no matched drive detected”. See image attached.

Running Nic’s LiteonUtil now indicates that the drive is Region code all, RPC1 region control with N/A for both user changes and vendor changes left.

I have been trying to burn with Shintaro DVD-R discs rom JB Hi-Fi (which appear to be manufactured by Princo), and reading the specs off Nic’s other programme, they are almost identical except for the 4 x Write strategy fields 1-6 and 2 x speed power which is higher than the Princo original DVD-R I am comparing with.

I am stumped and would really love some thoughts before I take the drive back acorss the north side of town and ask for a replacement. Reading all the threads above, I do not think that I have done anything wrong, apart from perhaps using the Liteonutil with the DVDRW instead of the DVDROM drive, and am not happy with producing white drink coasters. The revision number is really stumping me. :eek: :a

Any ideas/further tests/tips and hints before I rip the drive out would be gratefully appreciated. :bow:

Cheers

Ross

This article on the mainpage deals with the firmware revisions.
As far as I know, the FS0G firmware had troubles burning at 2.4X so it was taken down from LiteOns website.

If your wanting to flash back a version (from FS0G to FS0F) then have a look at this thread regarding flashfix.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Removes the drive and firmware version check from the windows .exe flashers

Edit:

I get the same error message as your picture when I run a windows .exe flasher with an earlier firmware. A flashfix patched windows .exe flasher doesnt have this restriction, however it lets you patch any drive on your system, so be careful and double check before you click udate! :wink:

And in this thread theres a regionfreeing utility for all LiteOn manufactured drives.

You can also use mtkflash along with a copy of FS0F.bin.

Thanks Savannah!

Makes me feel a littel better, if a little stupid not checking further into the CDFreaks forums!:smiley:

Have also read some more issues with guys burning -R with Nero 6. I am loathed to get rid of this as I purchased it only 4 days ago. In the opinion of the experienced forum readers is there a better drive I should be going to the dealer with and asking for a swap for the 411S?

I could try the retro firmware fix, but it might introduce issues if I want to take the drive back. As OC Freak said to another person in another thread - word to the effect of you stuff it, then you want to take it back for a replacemnt?? I don’t want to fall into that category…

Cheers

Ross

If I am thinking of the same thread as you, he was talking about trying to over clock things.
There is nothing wrong with trying to go back to an official non moded f/w that was designed for your drive. LiteOn should still honor it’s warranty if the drive gets hurt while flashing with correct legal f/w.