Warning for those of you also running ripit4me

vbimport

visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=2253

I guess RI4M only shuts down what it needs to shut down to run

As James has explained: It doesn’t do a very good job shutting down AnyDVD.
It terminates the AnyDVD process, which in fact does not shut down AnyDVD correctly as the driver continues to run.

I guess shutting down the AnyDVD process is enuff to run Ripit4Me.

No, it isn’t, as the driver continues to run.

Tru is correct. Terminating the AnyDVD process does not have the effect the developers of Ripit4me intended.

From the Microsoft documentation:

The TerminateProcess function is used to unconditionally cause a process to exit. The state of global data maintained by dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) may be compromised if TerminateProcess is used rather than ExitProcess.

TerminateProcess initiates termination and returns immediately. This stops execution of all threads within the process and requests cancellation of all pending I/O. The terminated process cannot exit until all pending I/O has been completed or canceled.

A process cannot prevent itself from being terminated.

Terminating another process shouldn’t be done by an application.
There are other ways to do it nicely. I have written a little command line tool which can be used to disable AnyDVD if required.

I undrstand that the latest version of Ri4m, version 1.7.1.0 Beta, which just came out, corrects this problem.

Version 1.7.1.0 BETA (9 March, 2007)

Added code to detect whether the DVD appears to be protected. This is displayed in the main window during Step 1.
If the DVD isn’t protected, there’s a new button in Step 1 to open the DVD with DVD Shrink directly.
Attempted to fix the “Not a DVD” problem that some users have had in 1.7.0.0. If that still does not work, post the debug log you get during Step1.
RipIt4Me now terminates AnyDVD “the right way” (by sending a WM_CLOSE message to its main window in the tray, instead of killing the process).
Added “Open .ini file” to the Main menu. This required adding two strings to the language file.