WARNING: Falcon Bait & Switch

vbimport

I just noticed something very disturbing in regards to Falcon Technologies media. They have started to change their pricing and have introduced the equivalent of Taiyo Yuden’s “value line” or Verbatim’s “value series” of media.

Previously, you could buy media that was designated as FalconMedia PRO at a price point that was comparable to the retail price of genuine Verbatim (made with Mitsubishi materials and specs). FalconMedia PRO can be equivalent to or even better than Taiyo Yuden Premium Grade, and I’m talking about the Premium Grade that existed in the early 2000s.

Now however, Falcon has started to replace the media at this lower price point with media that is simply called FalconMedia, without the all-important PRO attached to it. Early experience seems to indicate that this non-PRO Falcon media is of significantly lower quality.

For example, previously, at SuperMediaStore, a 100-pack of FalconMedia PRO 16X Shiny Silver media could be had for around $27.00. Now the price has jumped to $33.00. In it’s place you will find shiny silver FalconMedia (without the PRO) for $26.00. If you weren’t paying attention you would think that the lower cost media was the same as what you had purchased or been recommended before, but it’s not.

Be CAREFUL. All Falcon media is not the same. If you want the good stuff, the media that competes directly with Taiyo Yuden Premium Grade and Verbatim, you must get Falcon media that says PRO. That means it’s Professional Grade. The non-PRO media is what they call Corporate Grade, but it’s nowhere near as good, and can sometimes be complete crap.

Yep going the way all media mfg’s are doing upping the price on the good stuff
and replacing it with junk at the old price of the good stuff. If you’ll watch real
close you can tell the difference between the Pro and the junk just by looking
at the label. The Pro disc’s has a larger label on it here is what the labels look
like for those who wants to know what to look for so they don’t get burned the
first one is the Pro disc’s and the second is the regular stuff.

Thanks negritude and getit29 Really good to know :iagree:

Was just getting into playing around with the Falcon brand :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads-up negritude. Certainly important to let video production outfits/duplicators know which grade to look for if they need media that’s near-certain to give trouble-free playback in anything they might be thrown into. Corporate, as the name implies, is aimed at data backup duties I believe. It remains to be seen what other duties it might be suitable for.

“Bait and switch”? Slow down, big guy :bigsmile:. Not like you to go off like this without checking your facts first. I swear, if you hadn’t mentioned how good the Pro’s are, I’d think you were bitten by a falcon as a child :confused::bigsmile:. Don’t blame Falcon for some nefarious pricing tricks. Fact is, Falcon has not changed their prices on the Pro’s. They’ve just released a line of discs that they feel should burn better than the likes of T-Y’s “value line” or Verb’s “value series” and compete favorably with them. Check with a reseller next time before you start handing out blame.

I’m more than a little curious how much these will differ from the Pro’s. Had to order some to find out. Give us a chance to burn some before you write them off as crap?

Has anyone tried the 8x Pro media? Since that’s still within $1 of this new line

[QUOTE=roflwaflz;2506465]Has anyone tried the 8x Pro media? Since that’s still within $1 of this new line[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :flower:

Yes, I started out with the 8X TTH01 Pro Falcons. The burn quality I got was for all intents at the same level as the 16X TTH02 Pro’s. Then I ran into a really exceptional batch of the 16X discs and just got in the habit of buying the 16X variety :rolleyes::bigsmile:.

Here’s an 8X burn with the Optiarc AD7200A.
FalconMedia Pro 8X DVD-R white inkjet hub print

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2506409]I’m more than a little curious how much these will differ from the Pro’s. Had to order some to find out. Give us a chance to burn some before you write them off as crap?[/QUOTE]

I’ve actually used both the corporate-grade and professional-grade dual-layer media, and comparatively speaking, the corporate-grade was crap. However, that was just my personal experience. Notice that I said it CAN be crap, not that it definitely will be crap. I can’t make a definitive statement about the single-layer media yet, because I haven’t tried that. I do know that the professional-grade single-layer media is AWESOME. I’m just trying to warn people that they should understand the potential difference.

You should definitely buy all the Falcon media you can, just make sure it’s the PRO version if you want to be guaranteed the best quality. That’s all I was saying.

I’ll be more than happy if tests prove me wrong, and the corporate-grade single-layer media turns out to be pretty good.

First batch of Falcon 16X DVD-R Corporates. Yes, I think Falcon may be right. These just might[COLOR=“Black”] burn better than T-Y value-line :eek::bigsmile:(actually, this looks better than any of my TYG03 stock at the moment ). Looks encouraging so far. I’m definitely up for testing more.[/COLOR]

AD-7200A (1.Z3)
FalconMedia 16X DVD-R (for corporate use) white hub-print
MID:TTH02
Burned at 16X w/CdSpeed
Perfect 18X TRT

:bigsmile:

cmon it was going to happen sooner or later, if media doesnt make the cut for their pro range what do you think their going to do with it bin it?. it makes sense to sell it as a value line but i dont see why they upped the price its silly. but then again everythings going up. i think ill be ordering some of these to play with as the burns people are getting really do look yummy might have to dust my benq off too :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2511441]cmon it was going to happen sooner or later, if media doesnt make the cut for their pro range what do you think their going to do with it bin it?. it makes sense to sell it as a value line…[/QUOTE]

Or sell it to…other companies to repackage as AAAA+++ grade. :bigsmile:

there is that although ive had some overprints/value disks that have been as good as their a grade

[QUOTE=Arachne;2511505]Or sell it to…other companies to repackage as AAAA+++ grade. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I can think of a few media brands whose reps would get a big boost from selling this stuff :bigsmile:.

This is Falcon’s take on these new corporates. Fairly humble considering the good results I’m seeing :).

" Falcon corporate grade products are very good - better than book spec. If someone wants the best disc possible in terms of recording signals and lowest jitter and pisum8, then they will want to go with our FalconMedia Pro AAA grade. If someone wants a quality disc that has good book spec test results, then our Corporate grade is the answer. It will be a nice consistent quality disc – no mixing of low grade product with our Corporate grade. Our ISO 9000 certification from the Swiss, Japanese, and British really keep us in line with managing our performance in delivering consistent quality product."

Well, if you like the corporate-grade media then it doesn’t get any cheaper than this:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/fti-16x-dvd-r-shiny-silver-3010328504000533-200pk

That’s $20 per 100. Free shipping. Not bad. I still prefer the professional-grade, but this is OK.

[QUOTE=negritude;2511717]Well, if you like the corporate-grade media then it doesn’t get any cheaper than this:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/fti-16x-dvd-r-shiny-silver-3010328504000533-200pk

That’s $20 per 100. Free shipping. Not bad. I still prefer the professional-grade, but this is OK.

[/QUOTE]
Nice find :clap:. This is more in line with what Falcon was hoping to see from their resellers. For those in the business struggling with profitability and forever tempted to gamble on 2nd tier media for less mission-critical jobs to protect their bottom-line, these should prove to be a welcome addition to their choices. For those in a position to only settle for the best, we can hope to see more resellers picking up the Falcon line to drive some more pricing competition with the Pro’s.