Warning! Fake BDR-S07XLB's on ebay

I decided to take the partial refund and keep the drive. I’ll open it up and take some photos of the guys at some point in the near future.

As promised, it’s picture time!!!

Bottom view:

Sure, you can see it closer, I’m glad you asked…

Wait, you noticed this too?

Underside of the lid:

Top of the insides:

More modifications (cut tab):

Indicator LED (shines wrong way and is super dim as a result):

Front of the drive tray has a silkscreened Blu-Ray logo:

Back of the drive shows the plastic innards don’t quite fit in the metal housing:

looks nothing like any pioneer blu ray burner i have seen

Yep, looks a bit strange

Comparison pictures to the real deal:

The real BDR-207M is on the left or bottom in the respective pictures. In case anyone is wondering the SN / SN Barcode have been removed from the photo of the real BDR-207M to protect it’s identity.

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2701419]looks nothing like any pioneer blu ray burner i have seen[/QUOTE]
Why not? :slight_smile:

TP pictures might been confusing at first whit stickers labeled as “made in Japan”, but from what I can see this is a Pioneer Rennesas chipset drive made in China (first appeared on market in Nov-11).

Bought in HK by TP for sure they are aimed at Asian market. With or without approval of Pioneer…

BTW, my two 207’’ from -12 are all made in Japan. :smiley:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2701429]Why not? :)[/QUOTE]
Frankly, it looks like a DVR-218L that had a white Blu-Ray logo silkscreened on it.

Why guessing. :flower:

Post us a pic of the Rennesas chipset (with removed coolant add-on) or/ and an output from DVDInfo Pro (drives capability) and we will know.

Or even better, throw a BD disc in that bastard an see if it’s capable to burn the disc. :bigsmile:

Well, as the scan results suggested, the electronics is the real deal (other than the LED job made to ‘fit’ the new bezel and case) which is nice: http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/bdrs07j/bdrs07j_top.htm

All the part numbers match those expected for a BDR-207M class drive, so its a genuine BDR-207M (with a GENERAL kernel instead of the expected ID43 one) transplanted into a case it doesn’t belong to, with a fake label on it which looks like a ‘counterfeit level’ type of scan and print job to me… i.e convincing enough unless one starts digging too deep…

I agree about the bezel … that was clearly not meant for a BluRay drive and certainly not for a BDR-207!

[QUOTE=pinto2;2701431]Post us a pic of the Rennesas chipset (with removed coolant add-on) or/ and an output from DVDInfo Pro (drives capability) and we will know.

Or even better, throw a BD disc in that bastard an see if it’s capable to burn the disc. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]It has a Renesas chipset in it. There are scans that show it burns fine on the first page of the thread.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2701431]
Post us a pic of the Rennesas chipset (with removed coolant add-on) or/ and an output from DVDInfo Pro (drives capability) and we will know.

Or even better, throw a BD disc in that bastard an see if it’s capable to burn the disc. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

DVRFlash output (first post in the thread) should be a decent enough substitute for the DVDInfoPro capability list (I know they aren’t the same, but still, DVRFlash wouldn’t work with a non-Pioneer drive, would it?).

A BD-R burn or two can be found earlier in the thread.

Oops, a bit slow to type. :doh:

[QUOTE=Albert;2701440]…A BD-R burn or two can be found earlier in the thread.

Oops, a bit slow to type. :doh:[/QUOTE]
Sure Albert, my last line was only intended to get TP thinking and to get him reevaluate his guessings. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2701443]Sure Albert, my last line was only intended to get TP thinking and to get him reevaluate his guessings. :)[/QUOTE]Who’s guessing?

[QUOTE=pinto2;2701429]Why not? :slight_smile:

TP pictures might been confusing at first whit stickers labeled as “made in Japan”, but from what I can see this is a Pioneer Rennesas chipset drive made in China (first appeared on market in Nov-11).

Bought in HK by TP for sure they are aimed at Asian market. With or without approval of Pioneer…

BTW, my two 207’’ from -12 are all made in Japan. :D[/QUOTE]

Because I have only seen uk based models obviously, i merely stated it looked like no 207/208 i have seen

I´ve never seen a Pioneer drive with “general” kernel…

Anybody here used DVRFlash for crossflashing from general to IDxx kernel?
Note though, DVRFlash doesn´t only exist in one version, thanks to ala42. :cool:

I’m a little confused myself. The general kernel doesn’t have the same firmware revision available that some of the others have. The general kernel stops at 1.30. The others have 1.35. I haven’t tried to put one of the ID kernels on the drive, but I imagine it won’t work.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2701752]I´ve never seen a Pioneer drive with “general” kernel…

Anybody here used DVRFlash for crossflashing from general to IDxx kernel?
[/QUOTE]

Pioneer drives with GENERAL kernel are fairly common.

As always crossflashing between hardware compatible models is possible provided that:

• an IDxx kernel firmware exists
  • DVRFlash supports this drive

As far as I remember, unfortunately neither of the two is true.

Thanks for your post [B]CVS[/B]. This just displays the dilemma…
None of the “old” patchers are active anymore. :sad:

Problem though is; that all the forums still pretend “that they” are with us, fooling all new members abouth the things that are as they were back in -06.
I’m a member at all cd/dvd forums and the attitude of admins/ administrators/owners is the same; no word abouth the key members quited; C0deKing, ala42, Agent…

Liggy and De are still active though…:slight_smile:

Sorry to sat at least after more then 11 years. :sad:

It’s looks weird, but its a genuine x07 IMHO.

[QUOTE=chef;2703553]It’s looks weird, but its a genuine x07 IMHO.[/QUOTE]Oh yeah, most definitely. Pioneer definitely nips away at the plastic to make it fit in a DVR-218L housing for some of them. :rolleyes: