WARNING: Emtec CD=Rs

vbimport

Thought that everyone should know about the experience that I just had with an Emtec CD-R. The CD-R was being read in a LiteON 52x24x52x drive when it shattered. Apparently some very poor quality media. I have used thousands of CDs in 52x LiteON drives, and have never had that occurance before.
Advise not to store important documents on emtec CD-Rs! Especially when used with a high speed drive.

Originally posted by compu44

Thought that everyone should know about the experience that I just had with an Emtec CD-R.
Apparently some very poor quality media.
Advise not to store important documents on emtec CD-Rs!
Yes, I fully agree w that. Even though the Emtec issue has been known and discussed earlier,
it’s still a good reminder to those who aren’t aware of the Emtec as well as Mmore ( both made by Moser Baer India ) stuff poor “quality”.
Here’s my best ever scan of the Emtec CDRs :

Well, the quality of Emtec branded disc varies depending on what one buys.

A Case in example:

I’m not sure if the original poster was referring to Emtec manufactured CD-Rs, but at least not all Emtec branded discs are crap (as the above Tayo Yuden manufactured and Emtec branded disc shows).

I would also like to add that my all time favourite archival disc has been to this day Emtec (previously Basf) branded and Tayo Yuden manufactured Ceram Guard disc.

The quality of burns on that disc appear to be very good and the scratch resistance of the disc is better than anything I’ve tried (and I’ve tried quite a lot of good brands).

regards,
Halcyon

Emtec Ceram Guard is made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan and is of excellent quality.

Emtec Standard is made by Moser Baer India and is of poor quality.

OffTopic.

As of beginning of 2003 Emtec filed it’s European operations for insolvency protection.

They have since (as of 30th of June, 2003) sold their Storage division operations to Imation:

http://www.imation.com/en_US/main.jhtml?Id=10_02&Article=2003_06_30_dsim_emtec.xml

I’m not sure if this changes the availability of the Ceram Guard discs, but if it does, I’m saddened. Verbatim Crystal SuperAzo is my second choice for ultra-scratch resistance, relatively low c1/c2 error count and hopfully stable dye archival media, although not as good as Ceram Guard (imho).

regards,
Halcyon

Originally posted by Halcyon

but at least not all Emtec branded discs are crap (as the above Tayo Yuden manufactured and Emtec branded disc shows).

Perhaps. But the Emtecs that are being sold here in Sweden
as well as those I used to buy in Russia are all made by Moser Baer in India :

EMTEC 700MB/ 80 mins 32X blank

ATIP: 97m 17s 06f
Disc Manufacturer: Moser Baer India Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 17s 06f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = MoserBaer,India
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X