Warner Music, 3rd major label to drop DRM

I just posted the article Warner Music, 3rd major label to drop DRM.

There was a time when the main headlines about online music distribution were mainly about new DRM technologies, improvements against hacking, interoperability issues and so on. …

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13988-Warner-Music-3rd-major-label-to-drop-DRM.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13988-Warner-Music-3rd-major-label-to-drop-DRM.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why bother. Outside the US you can’t access Amazon MP3 downloads…

Any idea about the bitrates of this new DRM-free music? Is it really worth paying for?

Going by Amazon’s FAQ, its music is encoded at 256kbps. The vast majority of DRM infected services use just 128kbps, so while Amazon may not be true CD quality, it should still be significant better than the other services. At the moment, Amazon’s service is compatible with Windows and Mac for downloading singles & albums and with Linux for downloading individual songs, with Linux album download support under development. Then again, as the music is not crippled with DRM, albums can still be downloaded on Windows or a MAC and transferred to a Linux OS. :wink: However, it is a real pity they don’t offer their service outside of the US. Another way music download stores could drive sales would be to offer music in a lossless codec (e.g. FLAC) or better still, in higher resolution audio than CD, such as 24-bit, 96kHz, etc. On the other hand, these two formats would also cause problems by requiring conversion to play on most MP3 players and would require significantly more bandwidth.

I suspect that the real reason the USA sellers don’t offer music for download overseas is that the rights to the music are separate. Different distributors can own overseas rights than the US rights. At least this is the way it is with movies.

“I suspect that the real reason the USA sellers don’t offer music for download overseas is that the rights to the music are separate. Different distributors can own overseas rights than the US rights. At least this is the way it is with movies.” That’s most likely true but how come then they are quite happy to sell the CD but not the MP3 album??