Warner Bros vastly expands DVD2Blu disc swapping program

vbimport

Warner Bros vastly expands DVD2Blu disc swapping program.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/10/eoj8vL.jpg[/newsimage]Warner Bros. has decided to sweeten the deal for DVD collectors who are looking for an economical way to upgrade their titles to Blu-ray.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/warner-further-upgrades-dvd2blu-disc-swapping-program-35962/](http://www.myce.com/news/warner-further-upgrades-dvd2blu-disc-swapping-program-35962/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

it just doesn’t really seem like a smart choice to own discs anymore. There are too many high-quality streaming services available now for a low monthly subscription rate.

And I would ask why pay monthly for something you can own and watch when you want to.
High-quality streaming services are also an extra fee, and once they start choking you on bandwidth you will be wishing you bought the disc.

I see no sense in it myself.
Besides go to Wal-Mart and buy it for 10 bucks, why swap your good standard dvd and pay shipping also.

I also disagree with the streaming comments. Streaming quality isn’t as good as bluray so they can cut down on the bandwidth required. Also most ISP’s now have caps, so streaming services can cause headaches with those.

Also you can’t lend a streaming movie to a friend, or borrow one from a friend, or sell it used.

We just don’t watch movies more than once in over 90% of the cases. Due to that Netflix is just a much better and more affordable option for us for movie viewing and we heavily use their Instant Viewing streaming services. I would think that most people only watch most films once as well.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2553270]We just don’t watch movies more than once in over 90% of the cases. Due to that Netflix is just a much better and more affordable option for us for movie viewing and we heavily use their Instant Viewing streaming services. I would think that most people only watch most films once as well.[/QUOTE]

That’s way you have Redboxe’s for the ones you only want once, lot’s cheaper

Also for viewing if you don’t have a big monitor it’s not worth watching.Another expense of the streaming option.

Netflix is much cheaper (and more convenient) for us than using Redbox. At Redbox’s $1 per disc charge, we could only watch about 12 movies per month and would have to make frequent trips to the store.

With Netflix, we get at least 2 physical discs mailed to us at a time, which we usually turn over about twice a month (6 discs total), plus unlimited instant viewing, which we use a lot. So we get a lot more content consumption and it’s a lot more convenient for us to use Netflix.

Are you serious ? I’ll take ownership of the physical media with it’s better quality any day in a heartbeat ! Screw this streaming BS. Maybe for rentals but I’m talking about owning the film. There are some movies I will want to buy every year and I want them on blu ray. I also prefer to rent the BR’s rather than use a streaming service.

Warner is just clearing out catalog titles that aren’t selling otherwise. Any of them can be had used on eBay at similar or even lower prices. It’s a nice idea for Warner to do this, but they aren’t really doing anyone any favors.

Of course buy it if you want to own it. But if you just want to see it, Stream it. Very few movies do I need to watch over & over again.

I believe streaming will have the opposite effect. Streaming will begin a competition for ever increasing bandwidth. Much like games. It’s is admitted by many games have pushed the PC to its current state. Streaming will do the same for the Internet over time.

The other motivation to move towards streaming from an industry standpoint is it will be extremely difficult for many to copy and distribute the media. BR was supposedly the answer to pirated DVD’s. I bet a few of you here are copying BR discs and adding them to your library. Conscientiously I hope, you aren’t profiting from your endeavor but technically illegal. You don’t own the movie you own a disc and the right to watch the content thereon.

And there is more to this than just movies. On Netflix I have a plethora of documentaries to choose from. Not easily purchased or rented for that matter.

I like the mix, stream, own and rent.

I stream. We have only the ‘LifeLine’ cable (Locals, God and Buy Channels) and NetFlix. So far we’ve caught up on Bones and seen a bunch of movies. I also Tivo less (why bother when NCIS shows up the next day with only six short commercials?)…

I looked through the list of movies offered by Warner in this deal. Only found one that I don’t have that would interest me. Not worth the bother.

And as far as streaming goes, I tried the Netflix trial recently. I ran out of movies I wanted to watch (via streaming) in less than three weeks. Their TV shows don’t interest me in the slightest, so I didn’t even make it to the end of the free month before canceling.

Remeber all those TV ads ‘Own the movie now!’? Seems you don’t really own it at all so they were lying!

I like the idea of being able to exchange a standard format DVD for a Blu-Ray DVD. But, like so many of the comments made here, how often do we re-view a movie.
Many times I have found myself watching a movie on cable, that I have in my collection. I usually remember it when the commercials come on and then I say " hey, what am I doing?" and pop in the DVD and end the commercials.
So, I guess it does pay to have our favorites in our collection on Blu-Ray.

[QUOTE=auwingr;2553570]…how often do we re-view a movie…[/QUOTE] The movies I buy are the ones I will watch at least once a year. Some more often. I have lost count on certain movies, Patton, Godfather 1/2/3, Lawrence of Arabia. I agree with your point, there are many moves I haven’t watched in over 3 years.