Warner Bros to exclusively back Blu-ray only

I just posted the article Warner Bros to exclusively back Blu-ray only.

From the time Warner Bros backed both Blu-ray and HD DVD, it kept saying that to avoid consumer confusion over choosing a format, it would not pick a side. However, this is now…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14031-Warner-Bros-to-exclusively-back-Blu-ray-only.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14031-Warner-Bros-to-exclusively-back-Blu-ray-only.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well, it sux, but it looks like Blu won. I’m just glad I didn’t buy into either format till one is the winner. Now HDDVD only has Paramount, Dreamworks, and Universal. So I guess once the exclusive deal with Paramount/Dreamworks runs out, they will switch to Blu, killing HD-DVD.

If this means the Blu-ray wins then I won’t be buying a player until I can get a region free one for less that $300. I’ll stick with my region free SD DVD player…

well, i’ll keep buying HD DVDs until the format really dies. then i’ll stick with DVDs until cheap region free blu-ray players emerge (which could take quiet a while).

Looks like HD DVD Cancelled their Cocktail Party and is now crying .what to do. :D. Blu-Ray has always won. Lets terminate this weak HD DVD Media.

I really hate to see Sony win with Blu-Ray… If it indeed succeeds, we all will be regretting it down the line… If you cant understand why, theres no point in even explaining it…

My sentiments exactly, Hypnosis, especially with Sony’s (considering at the very least their) recent track record. :frowning:

Sad news.

During this silly little format war, I have heard some of the dumbest things from the HDDVD side on why they should win. It has been clear from the beginning that Blu is Better and more important what the consumer wants.

“During this silly little format war, I have heard some of the dumbest things from the HDDVD side on why they should win. It has been clear from the beginning that Blu is Better and more important what the consumer wants.” Only from the point of someone who lives in the US. Out side the US Blu-ray is very consumer unfriendly and very studio friendly…

Blu-ray is “better” and is “what the consumer wants”? I’ve not seen a single article where consumers en masse went to Sony and said “we demand you make us this kind of high-definition format.” The fact is the average consumer is too confused and not informed enough to know the difference. If Blu-ray with its DRM and pernicious copy protections was 'better from the beginning" and with as bad as the current generation Blu-ray is (at least in the case of one title) required one user to do 3 long firmware updates–just to be ABLE to WATCH his legally purchased movie? If that’s “better,” then every English dictionary in the world will have to be re-written to re-define “better” in that context. :r

ARGHH! I’m so sad I could cry. :c Not because HD DVD is loosing now, but because blu is winning. I’ll probably never buy a HD player. I don’t want a sony product in my house again. I hope another blu alternative comes along. A consumer freindly HD player that is priced right. I know the chances are slim…

Warner to HD DVD: That’s all, folks.

I look at it on a different standpoint this means that the average joe will get ready to go out now and buy the equipment needed. I can’t agree on either format they both have their plus’s and negatives to really be honest. Most people that flame over one format over the other is because they have possibly invested in the losing product. This is why allot of folks are playing it safe and waiting to see the light at the end of the tunnel to know what to get.
This message was edited at: 06-01-2008 03:42

As an early adopter of new technology, who spends most of his money on technology & technology related, I really can’t see myself investing in either format today, or even in the near future, unless things just really change… Then again, there just might be a third format on the horizon that’s HD, consumer friendly, universally accepted by movie studios & not over the top expensive for the players or media…a person can dream.
This message was edited at: 06-01-2008 04:25

WARNER JUST MADE THE MISTAKE OF THEIR LIFE AS A COMPANY! AND THEY MANAGED TO HIT ALL CONSUMERS IN THE BULLS EYE! HAVE THEY EVER SEEN THE SUPERIOR QUALITY OF HD DVD OVER BLU RAY IN THE SAME TELEVISION ? I HAVE SEEN IT BECAUSE I OWN BOTH FORMAT PLAYERS! WAIT UNTIL ALL OF YOU SEE THE 10+ QUALITY OF UPSCALING THE HD DVD PLAYERS HAVE IN YOUR DVD MOVIE COLLECTION ANDCOMPARING IT WITH THE SH…TY QUALITY OF EVEN THE MOST EXPENSIVE BLURAY PLAYER! ALL OF US ALLREADY HAVE SOME DVD MOVIES, WHY NOT ALLOWING US TO SEE IT IN HIGHER QUALITY BY SUPPORTING THE BLURAY FORMAT WHICH IS INFERIOR! SOME OF YOU MIGHT ASK WHY I CHOOSE TO OWN BOTH FORMAT PLAYERS AND THE ANSWER IS THAT BECAUSE SOME MOVIE ARE RELEASED IN ONLY ONE FORMAT AND BECAUSE I HAD TO SEE WHAT WERE THE DIFFERENCES IN QUALITY! SINCE THE COST OF PRODUCTION OF A BLURAY DISC IS MUCH HIGHER THE HD DVD WHY ALL DIDN’T THEY SUPPORT IT FULLY? IT WOULD COST LESS FOR THEM AND LESS FOR US THE RETAILERS! AND GIVEN THE LOWER PRICES OF HDDVD PLAYERS THE FORMAT WAR SOUND HAVE FINISHED ALONG TIME AGO. SO SINCE I AM A CONSUMER I SAY TO S O N Y THAT BLU RAY IS NOT WHAT WE WANT!

I don’t know about Blu-ray being better. Sure, it has more storage which is good for data backup but HDDVD has enough for high def movies and uses the more efficient video codec. I feel sorry for Toshiba/NEC who will now probably have to request to join the blu-ray camp from a grinning Sony executive! I’m surprised HDDVD movie discs were not cheaper than the blu-ray movie discs seeing as they said the production costs of the format were a lot less than blu-ray. Anyway, now all efforts can be focused on hacking the blu-ray protection!

Well its not over until M$ says its over :B If the rumors are correct we shall wait for the HD-DVD X-Box and if it sells well the studios might have to change their bids. Now they are really punishing themselves as I’m sure when the HD really becomes preferred, the pirates will sell whatever movie in whichever format THE CONSUMER prefers. I will sit back and watch. :X P.S. looks like HD-DVD may be much cheaper for them to make (remember, they already got the equipment waiting to be modded to HD) :d
This message was edited at: 06-01-2008 18:10

They both look pretty good to me, I don’t think either of them is drastically superior to the other. It was nice that hd dvd was region free, but even on dvd i only own several other region discs. Blu-ray has nasty copy protection, but some one always figures out how to beat it. I think Warner did what makes sense, they realize the real money is in the general public repurchasing their favorite dvds onto an HD format. There isn’t going to be mass adoption with two formats on the shelf. So warner chose the format that was outselling their discs 2:1. I think from a business standpoint its a good idea. I also don’t think the people really wanted sony to win, I think it was the ps3 that gave bluray its boost. Bluray was a burden for the ps3, but it may off in the royalties they get from every bluray disc.

I agree with Zod’s post. DRM is a problem. Backward compatibility is another problem. Sony wants control and they can have it with Blu-Ray. Here’s some positive news about DRM: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/if-sony-bmg-drops-drm-for-music-drm-is-gone/ The blog link entry above was dated January 4, 2008. The news is up to date. The information source for that blog is this article also dated January 4, 2008: http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008013_398775.htm
This message was edited at: 06-01-2008 20:23