Warner Bros: 56 day DVD wait for Netflix, Redbox & Blockbuster

vbimport

Warner Bros: 56 day DVD wait for Netflix, Redbox & Blockbuster.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/01/I0uIoM.png[/newsimage]If you commonly rent Warner Brothers DVDs from Netflix, Redbox, or Blockbuster you may soon have to wait longer to have access to those movies. A new deal specifies that rental services will have to wait 56 days to receive new releases after Warner Brothers DVD movies go on sale.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/warner-bros-56-day-dvd-wait-for-netflix-redbox-blockbuster-56914/](http://www.myce.com/news/warner-bros-56-day-dvd-wait-for-netflix-redbox-blockbuster-56914/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t understand the reason for this.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2618240]I don’t understand the reason for this.[/QUOTE]

Simple, they want a window so that the can sell new releases. If they are available to rent on release day, people tend to rent rather than buy.

So what they get instead of people buying movies, is increased illegal downloads over the torrents, because people can’t rent them legally.

I’ll never understand movie studio decisions.

Who cares? I dropped the physical DVD side of Netflix when they split it off from the streaming side and doubled the price. Every new movie is available on a torrent before it is released to the local Wal-Marts for DVD sale (did I say that out loud?)

I’m kind of surprised that Blockbuster is caving. They didn’t to a few other studios and continued to offer all movies on release day while Netflix and Redbox caved. Those agreements were for 30 days, now this is for 56. Bye-bye Blockbuster, it was one of the only reasons left to use them

Will this also affect the iTunes Store? Because it seems like brand new releases are usually available to rent on there.

ETDRAGON,
Yeah!
They started doing that already with some new titles
for a while now. Just goes to:( show hollywood greases enough
palms,and this is the result.

[QUOTE=ricoman;2618246]Simple, they want a window so that the can sell new releases. If they are available to rent on release day, people tend to rent rather than buy.[/QUOTE]
I don’t buy that. I think people who rent movies don’t generally buy them anyway, and for the most part, people who buy movies for their own collections do so either when the movie is first released on disk or when they go on clearance. I think any lingering full-price sales are mostly for gifts, and whether a movie is available as a rental is probably not a factor in gift sales.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the wait-to-rent period stretches out even longer. The last few movies I’ve gone to in a theater, on opening night or opening weekend, the theater was only about half full. If movie studios are having a hard time getting people in theaters, it wouldn’t surprise me if they adopted a policy to force people to either see the movie in a theater, buy the disk when it’s released, or wait six months (or more) after the disk is released before it can be rented. There’s a lot of people who won’t wait six months (or more) to rent a movie they want to see. And a lot of them can’t afford to take the family to the theater, so they will buy it when it’s released. Sales would probably go up a lot.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2618248]So what they get instead of people buying movies, is increased illegal downloads over the torrents, because people can’t rent them legally.

I’ll never understand movie studio decisions.[/QUOTE]

I second that just look at Mission Impossible 3 is already on the internet when the movie came out…

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2618295]Who cares? I dropped the physical DVD side of Netflix when they split it off from the streaming side and doubled the price. Every new movie is available on a torrent before it is released to the local Wal-Marts for DVD sale (did I say that out loud?)[/QUOTE]

For me I kept the DVD side streaming is a waste for me and also I have other duties at home beside being a couch potato. Others like me have more then one jobs to tend to and DVD fits right in when and where I want to watch and not have to worry is my WiFi working or will my internet at my non-home location be able to stream without stuttering. Also not everyone has access to the internet or can afford a computer that is something that is lost in conversation here. Most of us here already know doing what the studio do just make torrents and piracy more and more powerful and more used that is just a Fact…