Warcraft III trouble

I have a strange problem…

I have made an image with CloneCD Secure Rom New profile and can mount, open, intall and play the program with Deamon Tools. If I write a cd using the Secure Rom New profile, it wont even open (install, play, nothing). I get an error message that the file is corrupt, reload the program???

Same error message from the CDROM or CDRW

I have LG 8160B rw - latest firmware
latest Clone CD version
latest ASPI layer

Ive read where deamon tools maybe blacklisted by the game. I unloaded the tool but no luck.

any other idea’s on this?

Originally posted by tmac
[B]I have a strange problem…

I have made an image with CloneCD Secure Rom New profile and can mount, open, intall and play the program with Deamon Tools. If I write a cd using the Secure Rom New profile, it wont even open (install, play, nothing). I get an error message that the file is corrupt, reload the program???

latest Clone CD version
latest ASPI layer

Ive read where deamon tools maybe blacklisted by the game. I unloaded the tool but no luck.

any other idea’s on this? [/B]
Your problem is in the writing. Image is good - it works in D-Tools…errr…without emulation (red icon)? As your writer can do the subs, I suspect that your choice of media maybe the issue. Have you read the FAQ?

Well, some luck that I have had is changing the Parameters so something else. I recall that V386 was blacklisted by the game. This was the case with Mafia (SD 2.7). Now I know Mafia uses Safedisc, but it may be the same for Securom? So maybe you MIGHT have success with DAEMON Tools if you do that.

Ok,

Daemon is red - no emulation
Media used is imation CD-RW - will try memorex next
(these say 650mb where as cd-r are 700… does this matter?)

Also, I’ve been through all faq’s i could find and forum msg’s. Did catch the virtual 386 cd driver. How do you change the name of this to see if it’s the blacklist problem?

thanks…

tmac

Right click on DAEMON Tools taskbar–>Virtual CD/DVD Rom Drive–>Set Device Parameters

Just change it, and reboot, you may also want to try changing the DAEMON Tools drive letter.

Originally posted by CCDKing
Well, some luck that I have had is changing the Parameters so something else. I recall that V386 was blacklisted by the game. This was the case with Mafia (SD 2.7).
WC3 hasn’t blacklisted D-Tools unless it was patched in after the release
This was the case with Mafia (SD 2.7). Now I know Mafia uses Safedisc, but it may be the same for Securom? So maybe you MIGHT have success with DAEMON Tools if you do that.
Are you sure that Mafia has blacklisted D-Tools? This is interesting indeed. Daemon’s Forum board is down so has this info come to light somewhere else, or you changed the driver name to make it work?
So maybe you MIGHT have success with DAEMON Tools if you do that.
…he said WC3 works in D-Tools :wink:

Originally posted by tmac
[B]I have a strange problem…

latest Clone CD version
latest ASPI layer

any other idea’s on this? [/B]

Unfortunately, I think you’re (we’re) out of luck. I too have a LG 8160B. I have also created an image that works fine without emulation. But I have been unable to back-up the image. I get the same symptoms you described. I’ve tried CDMate, CCD 3.x, every possible combo of settings. No joy. There must be something about the hardware that prevents a good write.

ChrisP

I made a perfect(actually my first fully working backup of a blizzard game) backup of WC3 with Cdmate using the default securom setting,just made an image and wrote it with a 32x Liteon.

It works before and after patches so far,of course unless blizzard actually ramp the securom protection up like bioware but they learned their lesson in the end anyway.

Ok, It’s not the Daemon Virtual CDROM Name.
Next step

1. re read image at slower speed just to ensure bits are read.
  2. try cdr rather than cdrw media with aws
  3. change daemon cd driver letter.
  4. repeat 1&2
  5. update aspi layer to 1.71. i think im at 1.70
  6. repeat above

i cant think of anything else…

any other ideas?

Don’t use AWS (it isn’t needed for securerom) and try writing at a lower speed.

You might also try checking “Don’t repair subchannel data” if it still fails. Whilst that setting which forces a dao96 write shouldn’t make any difference, neither should “Regenerate data sectors” when reading (though it does), and occasionally it helps (though not often).

If all attempts with clonecd still fail, you could try to make a back-up with cd-mate, alcohol 120% or fantom cd. Occasionally, one of these programs will succeed where clonecd fails, though the reverse is also true. (On my system, clonecd and alcohol inevitably succeed but cd-mate always fails.)

Good luck.

I have the exact same problem!!!

Whenever I try to make a copy of warcraft III the backup copy always pops up with a read error message. To be exact it says “this program is corrupt or incomplete, if you have downloaded this copy you may want to delete it and download a fresh copy”

Umm, I made the image from the original cd. I don’t know if its the media I’m using, cause I’m using Imation CD-R’s 700MB.

I have a Lite-On 24102B (no other CD-ROM drive) , CloneCD 4.0.1.10, FantomCD 1.2.1.1860…umm, nothing else I can think of that might be pertinent info.

When I made the images I tried mounting it in FantomCD and it worked fine. The problem only arises when I finish burning it.

I used the custom profile for lite-on securerom new, and still same problem.

I’ve tried making backups in FantomCD and same ol’ thing. I thought at first it might be my burner, but I just made a copy of the install disk of D2. shrug

Oh, i heard that FantomCD was blacklisted, what does this mean exactly?? I can still play the game fine with the original disk… Oh, and my burned copies don’t work in other people’s computer either, so I don’t think its this issue that we’re after.

I don’t know what to do now, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You guys are great at fixing these things.

Thanks.

Thought it might be a media problem, just tried it with a maxell 700MB CD-R. Still exactly the same problem…same error message. I have no idea whats going on. Enlightenment anyone?

Oh, on another note, I thought it might be a problem with the image file that CCD created. Don’t think so cause I downloaded the lastest D-tools and it runs just fine when mounted and icon is Red (no emulation).

Did you enable hide cd media before playing from the back-up? Since you only have your writer, you’ll need it.

Yup, had Hide CD-R Media checked and still didn’t work. I get that dang error every time! it is frustrating. It can’t even read files off the disk, like the trailers or anything, just can’t read from the disc. Thanks though Philamber for trying :slight_smile: Much appreciated

Okay, this time I tried using FantomCD with the securerom *new profile, while unchecking read sub data. (According to another post that had the exact problems as me) Now here’s the tricky part. I can actually mount the image gathered from this in D-tools, and it will run the game!!

When I actually go ahead and burn this, I was really excited when i didn’t get the “error, this program is corrupt…blahblah”
instead i get the “please make sure your War3 cd is in the drive” Well seeing that my lite-on is my only drive… i figured that it might be something that hide cd-r option in clonecd can fix. Well, it did not fix it. Since I’m in the us I had to use the patch to “unlock” the hide cd-r and aws options. Could it not be working? Well, this didn’t work. Sigh…this is looking pretty grim for me.

Does the barcode on the disc have anything to do with the protection? If so, then do all released warcraft III cd’s have this?

My last cry for help…:frowning:

much thanks to those who take the time to actually read my posts.

No it’s new securerom new (securerom 3) and is copiable BUT the Ltr-24102b often has problems if used as a standalone reader/writer.

Your best bet with clonecd is a profile where for-

• read you check read subchannel data from data tracks and regenerate data sectors and leave everthing else unchecked;
  • write you leave everything unchecked.
    Read and write at 8x and make sure that hide cd media isn’t enabled when making the image.

It appears that you’ve been able to get a good image previously as you got it to run under daemon tools without emulation so the problem appears to be with the write. If the settings I suggested don’t ork with a good image, try again with “Don’t repair subchannel data” checked. This shouldn’t help but sometimes it does.

Other alternatives you could try are cd-mate or alcohol 120% in either case with the default securerom new settings. These sometimes work where clonecd fails.

If any of your back-ups are successful, they will run from your writer with hide cd media enabled (my WCIII back-up runs from my Ltr-24102b with hide cd media running).

Ok, results so far…

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tmac_wk
[B]Ok, It’s not the Daemon Virtual CDROM Name.
Next step

1. re read image at slower speed just to ensure bits are read.
    No change
  2. try cdr rather than cdrw media with aws
    no change
  3. change daemon cd driver letter.
    no change so it must not be blacklisted
  4. repeat 1&2
    no change
  5. update aspi layer to 1.71. i think im at 1.70 <-im at this step now
  6. repeat above

Its at least good to know others are seeing my same problem. Doesn’t seem to matter what CDRW LG or Lit-on same issues…

will keep posting and thanks for all the suggestions so far!

OK. Aspi 4.71.1 was already installed and to no avail.

Trying reading at 1x, with read subs checked.

mount with daeomon ok…
Cirtual CD Name changed and letter is V (last drive)

Will try writting with different options…

any other suggestions.

How can you get the version of secure rom…

thanks

tim

Originally posted by tmac_wk

How can you get the version of secure rom…

You haven’t read this :stuck_out_tongue:

hex editor on the war3 file contained on the cdrom. looked for the ADDd string. Only thing that made sense was

ADDD…38…8…]_

is this 3.8.8 secure rom? Seems like i should be able to copy this. Do I need to installl first before looking at the version?

Ive tried every setting, on read, write and still come up with the same

file is corrupt error…

fiigures, once I ordered the ne cdwr, things would change…

my LG shows two sheep so thought all would be well…

thanks to those that have helped!!!

tmac