Warcraft 3 - Failures, Failures

vbimport

OK, here's the blasted deal. I have about a dozen coasters (enough to glue together and make a hockey puck) of attempts to burn Warcraft III. I have a HL-DT-ST GCE-8160B using Rev 2.01, using CloneCD 4...10.

I've tried the settings found in various places in this forum (subs on, regenerate on, or maybe off...) in various combinations, and nothing seems to work. I get the "insert CD message" or the "Corrupt data message". And I am using "Hide CDR media" on CloneCd.

This is the first CD I couldn't copy. Warcraft can't have the same protection as Diablo II, because I burned Diablo II without breaking a sweat.

Now, I created disk images with both clone cd and fantom CD. Using Daemon Tools, I can run the game from the images without the CD and without any problems. So, some questions:

1. Does the fact that I can use DT to play against the disc image mean that it is a write problem rather than a read probelm? Or does DT ignore subchannel data?

2. Could it be the media I'm using. I'm using free-after-rebate media ("Spin-X"). It's the reason I'm not upset about a dozen coasters, but could this be the problem?

3. What's different in protection between Diablo II and Warcraft?

4. Has anybody managed to burn Warcraft 3 on an 8160B using version 4 of CloneCD ("Antons" has apparently done it with version 3.)

5. General question: What the heck am I doing wrong? Has Clone CD and my reader reached their Waterloo?

ChrisP
Wichita, KS, USA

1 Well, your read image is working as long as you arent using emulation so you should refer to the write settings listed below that i included.

2 Usually cd’s so cheap that you’re paid to take em aren’t good. You might want to try some good stuff (im using memorex 40x cert. media)

1. WCIII’s secuROM is a newer version than D2 LOD’s thus it is causing much headaches among forum goers

2. No clue.

3. I’m just guessing on this so you should probably use a CD-RW

Use CloneCD 4.0.1.10

First, when you are reading/writing the cd dont use Hide CD-R media, seems to cause a problem. Read both subs, and regenerate data sectors and abort on read error ONLY.

For write use Don’t Repair sub channel data and try it with out AWS if it don’t work use AWS.

When you put the cd to play use Hide CD-R Media

I hope these settings work for you!

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
[B]1 Well, your read image is working as long as you arent using emulation so you should refer to the write settings listed below that i included.

First, when you are reading/writing the cd dont use Hide CD-R media, seems to cause a problem. Read both subs, and regenerate data sectors and abort on read error ONLY.

For write use Don’t Repair sub channel data and try it with out AWS if it don’t work use AWS.[/B]
Image is RAW if working in D-Tools with a red icon - no emulation as suggested. Again, uncheck Hide CD-R Media when reading. Audio subs are not required and will cause problems on some devices. AWS is next to useless for this version of SecuROM - leave it alone. I don’t think it’s going to work for you, despite version .10

You haven’t mentioned your reader…? Don’t have one? Buy a Liteon 163D DVD-ROM.

OK, I got a clonecd disk image on my hard drive, the Daemon tools lightning bolt in the system tray is red (indicating, I presume, "no emulation, which is what I believe I have it set to), and I can play the game fine without the cd.

Q: Does this mean I have successfully read the necessary data and the problem now is writing it out correctly?

That any failures now would be a problem with the writing process, not the reading process?

BTW, I’m using the CD-RW as the reader and the writer.

Chris P.

Originally posted by ChrisP
[B]OK, I got a clonecd disk image on my hard drive, the Daemon tools lightning bolt in the system tray is red (indicating, I presume, "no emulation, which is what I believe I have it set to), and I can play the game fine without the cd.

Q: Does this mean I have successfully read the necessary data and the problem now is writing it out correctly?

That any failures now would be a problem with the writing process, not the reading process?

BTW, I’m using the CD-RW as the reader and the writer.

Chris P. [/B]

If the image is working under dt without emulation, the image is good and your problem is in writing it correctly.

Btw, are you trying to run the game from your writer? If so, you will have to enable hide cd media before playing.

Originally posted by philamber

Btw, are you trying to run the game from your writer? If so, you will have to enable hide cd media before playing.

Well, duh!:slight_smile: Although, while I can talk big, I did try to copy Uncommon Valor 5 times, thinking I failed each time, only to realize that I had to turn “Hide CD Media” on. Well, duh :slight_smile: I now have 5 back-up copies of UV…

You kin only fool me 5 times…

Thanks for the help. I’m gonna get some high-class media and try burning the image.

Chris P.

[B]

Btw, are you trying to run the game from your writer? If so, you will have to enable hide cd media before playing. [/B]
Hey ChrisP - there are two sticky posts in this Forum…one’s called “FAQ” :wink:

Originally posted by FutureProof
Hey ChrisP - there are two sticky posts in this Forum…one’s called “FAQ” :wink:

Oh, great, now I’m infamous. :cool:

Did I mention I was only passing on a story related to me by a friend?

But seriously, is there any way to tell if a CD has ATIP protection (short of trying the “Hide CD Media”?). In the case of UV, ClonyXL gave me the “no protection message” (I think it’s a version of Securom, but I’m not sure). I tried running the Securom check check in ClonyXL, but it still told me “no protection” (tells me Warcraft has no protection as well :confused: )

Unfortunately, the “Hide CD Media” problem is not what’s preventing me from burning what is apparently a good CD image of Warcraft III. Shazbot!

ChrisP

Originally posted by ChrisP
But seriously, is there any way to tell if a CD has ATIP protection (short of trying the “Hide CD Media”?). In the case of UV, ClonyXL gave me the “no protection message” (I think it’s a version of Securom, but I’m not sure). I tried running the Securom check check in ClonyXL, but it still told me “no protection” (tells me Warcraft has no protection as well :confused: )

All recent versions of safedisc 2 and securerom new have atip checks so just assume there is one until proven otherwise.

As for UV, I have no idea, but if it’s securerom new, clony will probably get it wrong. Use YAPS and make sure you scan the installation directory on your hard drive not the cd as it won’t usually detect securerom new from the cd.

As for UV, I have no idea, but if it’s securerom new, clony will probably get it wrong. Use YAPS and make sure you scan the installation directory on your hard drive not the cd as it won’t usually detect securerom new from the cd.

But I don’t need more backup copies of UV…:bigsmile:

What’s “YAPS”?

ChrisP

YAPS = “just another protection scanner” (why is it spelled with “y” at the beginning :confused:)

Yet Another Protection Scanner :wink:

Latest Clony works for some (reported elsewhere on this site - screen shot for proof) and doesn’t work for some (me!). YAPS did it for me.

Well, to wrap up my contribution to posterity…

I have given up for the time being trying to copy Warcraft 3 on the GCE 8160b. Nothing works. New media didn’t help – I still get the “corrupted data” message when the CD copy autostarts and the "cd not inserted message when I try and run the CD from the desktop.

Funny thing is that I can run the game off the image using Dameon tools and no emulation. Shazbot. I’m gonna try on another CD Writer and see if that works. In the meantime, I’ll run off the image.

To the SecurRom people who monitor this forum – and I’ll bet they do – a pox on you. About a month ago, my son’s Age of Empires II CD broke itself into a million pieces in my CD-RW. I had to take the darn thing apart to pluck out all the pieces with a tweezers (after first tipping the PC over to let 'em fall out.) Amazingly, the CD drive still worked. And, fortunately, I had a back-up copy (I now have 2). Two weeks ago, one of my son’s two Diablo II CDs cracked (in a different CD drive - I think it’s just a coincidence). Fortunately, I had a back-up. That’s all I want – a back-up.

Pox, pox, pox (probably won’t work – I’m only half-Sicilian :wink:

ChrisP

to continue chris’s chant: POXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOXPOX!

To SecuROM Developers:
In an attempt to be modest, on behalf of the burning community i would like to say:

YOU SUCK! WE BEAT YOU! AGAIN! WHOOOOO!

@ futureproof:
You say that hide media can cause trouble when you read.
What trouble?
How can I see if hide media is to blame?

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
[B]
To SecuROM Developers:
In an attempt to be modest, on behalf of the burning community i would like to say:

YOU SUCK! WE BEAT YOU! AGAIN! WHOOOOO! [/B]

Well, most of you beat them again :a

Anyway, I saw a posting on this forum somewhere saying that the GCE 8160 has the same chipset as the Liteon. Is this true? Does that mean I have the Liteon chip set?

ChrisP.

Originally posted by Jay Sea
@ futureproof:
You say that hide media can cause trouble when you read.

Straight from Olli’s post on the subject; that’s all I can say (and know)