Wanting to upgrade my Graphics card only, urgent help please if u can

I am needing to upgrade my current graphics card to something a fair bit faster.
i do a lot of video editing thru Handbrake, and it works good at the moment thru that program,
but when i do editing through other programs with GUI and when editing out frames , sharpening , colour changes or any other filters, things start to get really slow and just on the frame line display they take minutes to load up while i am in the program, so i think my current graphics card is only 1Gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 and could be struggling maybe ??? .

I went to a computer shop and the guy mentioned this card MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Ventus XS 6G OC $449 , but when i got home i looked on there website and they had an almost identical one MSI GTX 1660 VENTUS XS 6G OC for $369, so $80 cheaper.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 2 and being that my current system is 5 years old , will going for the $369 one be better, and also will 6gb card be overkill or should i look at 4Gb card instead.

cpu graph in task manager seems ok @ 70 - 80 % when encoding, memory graph sits at around 4gb - 5gb out of the 8 Gb i have.
This is a copy of text from a program called speccy which tells everything about PC, while it was encoding i copied this below.

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 8192 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 802.4 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 11 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 11 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 28 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 62 %
Total Physical 7.97 GB
Available Physical 3.02 GB
Total Virtual 16 GB
Available Virtual 9.60 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2
Slot #1
Slot #2

I dont do any gaming at all.

I just want my programs to runs faster without struggling.
when i am encoding i can barely open anything else, opening firefox can take 2 - 5 minutes sometimes, opening folders where i have some files stored can take upto 20 seconds sometimes as well while an encode is encoding.

current specs.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz|
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-M PRO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

I hope ive given enough info for you guys to help me out.

That card is overkill for your current PC I say that becuase the new 1660 is backward compatible however it would be a big waste of money the new 1660 is for newer rigs that run ddr4 ram and have the pci-e faster express lanes which your PC would not take advantage of.

Personally I would go with a GTX 960/970 4GB would be more in line and a heck of a lot cheaper buy a good used one for around $100.00 USD or less.

As ILLP stated there are lots of GPU’s available that would improve your performance that are a lot cheaper than a Geforce 1660. However, you won’t see significant speed improvements on your machine from switching out your video card. Some, yes, but probably not what you are wanting. If you examine the specs for your existing GPU a GTX 560 is a PCI-E 2.0 card with a 256 bit memory interface so it isn’t all that shabby. Here is where your troubles begin. First, you have to make sure that your replacement card supports windows 7. Second, price on older cards become an issue because lack of availability causes the price to increase. Third, Power requirements for the new GPU could require more power than the GTX 560 forcing you to upgrade your Power Supply. Now, A GTX 1050 TI is a low power PCI-e 3.0 card that supports windows 7 and has double the cuda cores of the GTX 560 that runs about $150.00. If you check the specs of the Geforce 1050 TI I think that it would serve you well.

Thanks ILLP And Vbrritt,

Is the GTX 1050 4gb an older card from 2016 ? if so is there a newer 2018 or 2019 version of that card .?

The store below is where i may buy it from as its close to my home and is the cheapest near me .
which one of these would you recommend as there are several similar to GTX 1050 TI 4gb

http://www.dcomponline.com.au/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=GTX%201050%20TI&inc_subcat=0&page=1&sort=4a

I wouldn’t buy any of those cards at the prices shown. A gigabyte 1050TI card with 4 GB of GDDR5 memory from NewEgg.com is only $150.00 (no tax or shipping) which is about $100.00 cheaper than a comparable card from the link that you listed .

AUssie here, it works out about $216 Aus + $60 shipping,
i will get the shop ( Dcomp ) to price match , as i have done it before at this shop.

Also did you see how there is 3 or 4 GTX 1050 4gb cards on that Dcomp site, which 1 out of them would u recommend , i dont do gaming , just video editing.

Generally, most user’s use the NVIDIA drivers so it really boils down to the aesthetics and price. About the only difference would be if the cards were overclocked or not. You might get a slightly better performance from an overclocked board than a standard board (not much gain so it would be hardly noticeable in real world performance). So if you have good airflow in your case I would probably buy the board with the highest processor clock speed.

I didn’t notice that you were from Australia so I failed to consider the currency conversion. Sorry about that.

Hey M8’s , thank you guys for helping out.

I have a Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB since July 2017 (I got mine for $135 at the time) and it’s good enough for 1080p level gaming and I only have a i3-2120 CPU and your CPU is better than mine as it’s the same generation but you got a i7 instead of a i3. my CPU is holding back my GPU but all of the games I play my computer runs them well enough (if I had a i5 I could get a decent boost on that alone and you got a i7 so you will get even better performance but it’s not worth investing any more into my current PC unless it can be done dirt cheap). prior to the 1050 card I had a Radeon 5670 512MB which I got in 2010 and going from that to my current card was a solid boost to performance.

but it appears they have a newer better version of that now which is the Geforce 1650 which says, “up to 70% faster than the GTX 1050” and these 1650 GPU’s seem to be around $150 give or take from a quick look online. so for roughly the same price I paid back in July 2017 for the 1050 you can now get a 1650, which is noticeably faster, for pretty much the same price range.

just some random thoughts as I am sure you can look into things a bit more details if you want.

but with that said… since you said you don’t game, I would not really worry about it as it seems if you do video encoding getting a CPU with a lot of CPU cores is what you want off the top of my head.

p.s. your going to likely want to upgrade to Windows 10 soon since Windows 7 support ends Jan 2020. you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade as I tested it March 2019 on a couple of old laptops I bought and it still works. but I currently have Linux Mint on them since it runs better on those laptops since they are low on CPU power and Windows is a bit too taxing on them.

just did a test with new card, there is zero difference in encoding speed. i did a test with old card and new card and both encodes took same time with exact same settings. i will do another test in the coming weeks on another editing program i have, but i dont think there will be any difference, bit disappointed, but hey its still a really good Pc i currently have and does what i need it to do. there is a definite increase in visual clarity and i also bought a new 27inch moitor to go with it, so display now looks really good, compared to my other 22 inch i had.

i hate windows 10 , its so boxy and crap looking, if i decide to get a new pc , it will be in a few years time, hopefully then they come to there senses and make it look like XP / vista again like everyone likes. i currently use classic shell to have me pc looking perfect. but if i upgrade to win 10 in the future , some of my editing programs may not work, as it stated when i got them ( only work on win 7 ). so i will need to take that into consideration too, and perhaps emailing the company to see if it will work in compatibility mode or not . but thats all in 2, 3, or 4 years time.

thanks for all your info. and advice. and to the other guys here as well that helped me out.

You wont see any improvement in encoding times from changing the GPU, unless the encoding application can render it on the GPU. Most encoding apps can’t render on the GPU, and use the CPU for rendering.

The only one that I know that will use the GPU to its capacity is DaVinci Resolve, but that application may not run on your PC, as I think it requires at least 16GB of DRAM.
Did you encode it using an H264 codec?

yes h264.

If all you are doing is re-encoding video, and don’t require to do ‘cuts’ or other video enhancements.
Cyberlink Media Expresso version 7.5 or above supports GPU acceleration on NVidia GTX 1000 series or above graphics cards.
It supports H264 and H265 rendered on the GPU, among many other video formats. It gives good quality and its fast on NVidia 1000 series GPU’s.

It’s pay for application (£35), but there is a free trial so you can check if it meets your needs.
https://www.cyberlink.com/products/mediaespresso/features_en_GB.html

1 Like

ok thanks,
will look into it later on.
Do u use handbrake at all ? i use this a lot and it does a real good job for normal re-encoding ( No editing ) , now with this new gpu i got, i noticed an Nvidia NVENC encoder option now available in the video options tab of handbrake, i enabled it and did an encode , the quality was shocking on all settings. A 1080p using HQ or even default settings looks like 360 - 480p heavily pixelated encode. . ( just thought id ask if you know why at all or are firmilar with this, if not thats ok , i dont think ill be ever using it again with such poor output quality.

Sorry, I don’t use Handbrake