Wanted: virtual DVD burner

vbimport

Hi,

I am confronted with the ugly job to create recovery discs from a laptop without an optical drive.

Well, I could simply grab one of my external writers, throw in some quality blanks and go ahead. The problem is: These “Create Recovery Disc” applications don’t have any options to control the burn parameters. They will always attempt a maximum speed burn. And such is not good at all with a modern USB connected DVD writer which will try 20x with TY or MCC media and is strangulated by the USB interface.

I could avoid this dilemma if there existed a piece of software that installs itself as DVD writer which then creates (ISO) image files instead of coastering blank disks. These ISO images can then be written to disc under controlled parameters.

Anyone aware of such a software? I forgot to mention, it must support Win7 64-bit.
Free solutions are preferred, commercial software should have at least a fully functional, (time limited) trial.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Tried Imgburn?

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2514425]Tried Imgburn?[/QUOTE]:disagree: ImgBurn (and all other burning software) is not what I need here.
The “virtual Burner” I am looking for must be recognised and accessed by other software (“Create Recovery Disc” application) as DVD writer.

What I forgot to mention in my initial post: I am also looking for a Win7-64 compatible virtual CD/DVD ROM software that is at least invasive as possible. Support for copy protection is not required. This should rule out Deamon Tools.

Michael

Perhaps Virtual CD v10? Here is the download link: http://www.virtualcd-online.com/vcd/apps/download/vcddownload.cfm?lg=0

[QUOTE=mciahel;2514424]They will always attempt a maximum speed burn.[/QUOTE]My experience is they burn at the lowest speed…

If you have some patience on your hands, an alternative would be using RW media, and then recopying it to R media.
Or if you have some 8x discs left, you might wish to sacrifice those.

Hi all :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2514442]Perhaps Virtual CD v10?[/QUOTE]Thanks - this looks promising :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Bob;2514452]My experience is they burn at the lowest speed…[/QUOTE]The last I had seen (on a eMachines laptop) seemed to try the fastest. But maybe your experience was from the recovery process of another computer brand. I’ll have to do with the Acer recovery “solution”.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2514454]If you have some patience on your hands, an alternative would be using RW media, and then recopying it to R media.[/quote]Not a bad idea :slight_smile: I have some 4x +RW Verbies lying around.

Or if you have some 8x discs left, you might wish to sacrifice those.
I am not sure if I want to sacrifice my MiS MCC003 for that job :bigsmile: Especially since most modern writers will overspeed them to 12x :eek: which is my personal sanity level for USB connected drives.

Since I don’t have the laptop yet, I am still open to more useful suggestions of course :slight_smile:

Michael

In addition to the suggestions already mentioned, if you have a Pioneer DVR-116/216, you could use the Optimal Writing Speed Utility to prevent the burner from burning at too high a speed.

Unfortunately, the only Pioneer I have is a 112L which is installed in an external enclosure.

Michael

A less bloated alternative for Virtual CD 10 would be Phantom Drive.

Hi,[QUOTE=Terramex;2514734]A less bloated alternative for Virtual CD 10 would be Phantom Drive.[/QUOTE]Interesting, especially since it is from the same company as VirtualCD :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Michael

Just use low speed media or MCSE and a strat swap. Not sure what the big deal is…

I don’t know of any software that does what you want .
I have VirtualCloneDrive by ElaborateBytes/Slysoft but it works like other virtual drives.
What you are looking for is a " writable virtual DVD disc " that can be mounted in a virtual drive & written to as an .iso.
That way the speed wouldn’t matter because it would really be to a hard drive.
If anyone knows how to do that I would be interested in learning too.

[QUOTE=cholla;2515030]I don’t know of any software that does what you want .
[…]
If anyone knows how to do that I would be interested in learning too.[/QUOTE] Read posts #4 and #10. :wink:

My bad I should have checked the links in posts #4 and #10.
I thought they were just virtual drives like VirtualCloneDrive.
I would of course prefer freeware .
I couldn’t find a price for Virtual CD v10 for a single computer home (private use).
The only prices were for Business & Education users.

[QUOTE=cholla;2515099] I would of course prefer freeware .
[/QUOTE]The only one i know is KernSafe Total Mounter.
Limited capabilities …and IMO pretty buggy :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=cholla;2515099]
I thought they were just virtual drives like VirtualCloneDrive[/quote]:disagree: I need something totally different :wink:

I would of course prefer freeware .
Me too. But for my purpose, a time limited, fully working trial should be good enough :smiley:

I couldn’t find a price for Virtual CD v10 for a single computer home (private use).

http://www.virtualcd-online.com/vcd/apps/shop/order.cfm?lg=0&Vers=VCD&Type=vcdfull&curr=dollar
34,95 USD for the full version (single user)
Phantom Drive, which I expect to have the same core software is cheaper: 19,95 USD, http://www.phantom-drive.com/onlineshop/shop.cfm?lg=0

Michael

What kind of backup do you want to do?
OS or just some file backup?
Usually most laptops have a backup software, wasn’t that good for backup?

Hi,[QUOTE=vroom;2515119]What kind of backup do you want to do?
OS or just some file backup?
Usually most laptops have a backup software, wasn’t that good for backup?[/QUOTE]as already stated in my initial post, I intend to create a set of recovery discs using the “Create Recovery Disc” application provided by the computer manufacturer.
In that very post, I also described the problems I expect if I simply connect one of my external burners and feed it with quality blank media :wink:

Michael

Let us know if you try one of the above & how well it works or doesn’t work.