Wanted: PCI Sound card with SPDIF Coax output

vbimport

I have an ye olde HP Pentium IV personal computer that is connected to the television in the living room. It’s used for occasional internet and videoclip playback.

It’s internal soundcard is only able to produce stereo sound and i’d like to connect it to one of the Coaxial inputs on my surround sound reciever, so it can handle ac3 and whatnot sounds in beautiful surround sound.

For that i need a PCI Sound card with SPDIF Coax output. I can find plenty of soundcards with a Toslink (optical) output, but can’t seem to find one with a built-in SPDIFX Coaxial connector.

I am aware there are Toslink > Coaxial interfaces, but they need their own power supply as well. I’d rather have a sound card able to produce AC3 via Coaxial output.

I haven’t tried any of this companies products but I ran across them a while back when I was checking on some sound cards . I think some of their cards have what you want . If you can go to 7.1 . The best priced one was PCIExpress but the one below is just PCI.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian2g.php

It’s a beautiful card and according to the specs it also sounds beautiful. But it’s $160! A bit pricey for a ye olde Pentium IV :slight_smile: I think it’ll also bring the cpu to its knees. :slight_smile:

This one is much cheaper:
Delock 89249
Starts from 13 EUR plus shipping. Available in several european countries.

Another option: Sweex SC015 7.1 PCI. Admitted mostly generic stuff, but if only digital outputs are used this doesn’t matter.
Things that make an audio card expensive like DACs and DSPs are not needed for the purpose you want the card for.

Perhaps a used card is an option for you :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2607963]It’s a beautiful card and according to the specs it also sounds beautiful. But it’s $160! A bit pricey for a ye olde Pentium IV :slight_smile: I think it’ll also bring the cpu to its knees. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree that was one of the things that concerned me.

If the cards mciahel posted have the correct SPDIF Coax output that is not a Toslink (optical) output . They are sure cheaper.
The Auzentech card information was clear that it did both.

Here you go, $20 shipped! :cool:

Rosewill RC-702 7.1 Channels 16-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card (C-media chipset)

or

Vantec UGT-S100 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card $24 shipped (Via chipset)

[QUOTE=mciahel;2607968]This one is much cheaper:
Delock 89249
Starts from 13 EUR plus shipping. Available in several european countries.[/quote]

This looks like just the card i need. Thanks!

Another option: Sweex SC015 7.1 PCI. Admitted mostly generic stuff, but if only digital outputs are used this doesn’t matter.

I have already researched the Sweex and unfortunately it only has SPDIF input according to its datasheet.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=eric93se;2608016]Here you go, $20 shipped! :cool:

Rosewill RC-702 7.1 Channels 16-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card (C-media chipset)

or

Vantec UGT-S100 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card $24 shipped (Via chipset)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the research. According to the feedbacks on these cards they are a bit buggy, but perhaps it’s just user error on most parts. Even saw the manufacturer’s responses which are pretty ok.

I also found one at Conrad for 26 euro’s including shipping.

Thank you all for the excellent quick research!

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2608037]
I have already researched the Sweex and unfortunately it only has SPDIF input according to its datasheet.
[/QUOTE]I read [I][B]output [/B][/I]here: http://www.sweex.com/download.php?file=./images/artikelen/SC015/Productsheets/SC015_productsheet.pdf

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2608112]I read [I][B]output [/B][/I]here: http://www.sweex.com/download.php?file=./images/artikelen/SC015/Productsheets/SC015_productsheet.pdf

Michael[/QUOTE]
Weird. The manual only speaks of an input. See page 4.

Seems as if that manual is not intended to fit a certain card :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2608281]Seems as if that manual is not intended to fit a certain card :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE] I better contact Sweex about it then. Don’t need SPDIF input at all.