Want to use DirectX 11.1? You'll be forced to update to Windows 8

I just posted the article Want to use DirectX 11.1? You’ll be forced to update to Windows 8.

If you’re a gamer and like to get the best performance out of your PC, then Microsoft might force you to switch to Windows 8, if you haven’t already.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/want-to-use-directx-11-1-youll-be-forced-to-update-to-windows-8-64827/](http://www.myce.com/news/want-to-use-directx-11-1-youll-be-forced-to-update-to-windows-8-64827/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why am I not surprised? Microsoft claimed it was “impossible” to port DirectX 10 to XP, until some third-party devs created their own port. I’ll bet that if DirectX 11.1 is seriously different from 11, history might repeat itself.

Microsoft also supposedly said Internet Explorer 10 would not be made available to Windows 7, but here I am, using the preview version that was released yesterday on my Windows 7 laptop.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2664066]Microsoft also supposedly said Internet Explorer 10 would not be made available to Windows 7, but here I am, using the preview version that was released yesterday on my Windows 7 laptop.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt they will want to loose those Windows users to ak ahem… to Apple. They will turn tails and say here is IE10 for Windows7…

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2664046]Why am I not surprised? Microsoft claimed it was “impossible” to port DirectX 10 to XP, until some third-party devs created their own port. I’ll bet that if DirectX 11.1 is seriously different from 11, history might repeat itself.[/QUOTE]

11.1…wait I haven’t gone past 10 yet??? hmm… well my next card will be GTX660Ti OC not windoze 8… :Z . I have better uses for my money and hardware upgrade is more important to me since I already invested in Windows 7 on 8 computers not including my own. Money doesn’t come cheap…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2664136]I highly doubt they will want to loose those Windows users to ak ahem… to Apple. They will turn tails and say here is IE10 for Windows7…[/QUOTE]They’ve already made IE 10 available for Windows 7, and my point is that I think they will do the same thing with DirectX 11.1. By the way, I highly doubt Windows users are going to switch to Apple (or any other OS), especially if they’ve already purchased Windows 8.

And now Windows as a gaming platform will fade away. I used to be a PC gamer but its all XBOX for me now so I don’t care much.

Do not expect MS to back down on this stance, they are usually stubborn on these things. They did not port DX10 to XP and XP had a huge install base.

Don’t be so sure Brad. For the majority who haven’t purchased Win 8, when it comes time to a hardware upgrade Macs may look alot more appealing now. The user is being forced to switch to a whole new UI anyway if they move to Win 8 so why not a more stable and well respected and reviewed one.
The mindset should be: do I upgrade to an O/S that’s getting horrible reviews and is prone to viruses and malware and doesn’t suit PC hardware (KB+mouse), or to one that users herald as the 2nd coming and is secure and supposed to be so great and everything “just works” (so I keep hearing!). And alot of these PC users have some type of Apple gadget now to influence them.
Then you have the factor that you can do your hardware upgrade and keep using Windows7 on a Mac , which you can’t do with some hardware manufacturers such as HP.

Anyway, the fact that Macs are more expensive in general will hamper this. I am not saying majority are necessarily going to do this either, I just believe Win 8 might make people consider it more than ever now.

I swore I would never buy a Mac, I used hate Apple before I got iPad and iPhone. Lately I’ve been considering getting a Mac mini after my PC died months ago. Its mainly because I can install Win 7 and the new minis are fast and a decent value. So are Mac Airs and some of the Macbooks.

If you’re a gamer and like to get the best performance out of your PC, then Microsoft might force you to switch to Windows 8, if you haven’t already.

Yes, if people don’t switch of free will, let’s make them do.
Ahem. Are there many games using DX 11.1 now? I guess no. And the situation won’t change in a moment.

Why am I not surprised?

Because moves like these from MS have already become a tradition, eh?

[QUOTE=ivid;2664167]And now Windows as a gaming platform will fade away. I used to be a PC gamer but its all XBOX for me now so I don’t care much.[/QUOTE]

Really you be surprised games for your XBOX are written on PC O/S computers…All those so called box games came from PC writing and testing them think…Fable…for Xbox where was that written in PC computer that wrote and tested it…I find it hypocitical people talk about how good their box games are but fail to realize where all the games began and was started and programmed from PC computers. Otherwise if that didn’t happen you can forget your console games.

[QUOTE=ivid;2664167]Do not expect MS to back down on this stance, they are usually stubborn on these things. They did not port DX10 to XP and XP had a huge install base.[/QUOTE]

Trust me when enough people raise a stink…they will rethink that mindset…loose customers and gamers and hardcore gamers and you will loose out big time. Gamers spend the most on hardware and the software is the beneficiary of the gamers. I seen very good PC games and WOW is one of them and many MMOPP(might missed some spelling here). Also fact is PC are cheap to get and buy and upgrade Consoles on the other hand requires a steep price hike and more to get proprietary hardware. PC on the other hand you can for desktop customize and customize and there are laptops for gamers but that is a very steep price for a select few to get. So do just discount the PC gamers just cause XBOX is talked alot with all the hype the PC still the Game Rig of choice and this comes from a gamers but since stopped because of work and limited time on my PC.

[QUOTE=ivid;2664167]Don’t be so sure Brad. For the majority who haven’t purchased Win 8, when it comes time to a hardware upgrade Macs may look alot more appealing now. The user is being forced to switch to a whole new UI anyway if they move to Win 8 so why not a more stable and well respected and reviewed one.
The mindset should be: do I upgrade to an O/S that’s getting horrible reviews and is prone to viruses and malware and doesn’t suit PC hardware (KB+mouse), or to one that users herald as the 2nd coming and is secure and supposed to be so great and everything “just works” (so I keep hearing!). And alot of these PC users have some type of Apple gadget now to influence them.
Then you have the factor that you can do your hardware upgrade and keep using Windows7 on a Mac , which you can’t do with some hardware manufacturers such as HP.[/QUOTE]

Just take a look at Newegg reviews on W8 and you can tell how people really feel about W8 on the desktop and laptop not the tablet of which is less expandable and very limited in hardware upgrade and most likely proprietary hardware to the manufacture meaning you will pay out of the wazoo for their hardware upgrades.

[QUOTE=ivid;2664167]Anyway, the fact that Macs are more expensive in general will hamper this. I am not saying majority are necessarily going to do this either, I just believe Win 8 might make people consider it more than ever now.

I swore I would never buy a Mac, I used hate Apple before I got iPad and iPhone. Lately I’ve been considering getting a Mac mini after my PC died months ago. Its mainly because I can install Win 7 and the new minis are fast and a decent value. So are Mac Airs and some of the Macbooks.[/QUOTE]

Really take a good look at the Iphone…I have a love and hate relation but take a really good look around you and see all Iphone in use and ask youself again did the price really stop people from buying the Iphone…??? NO…and look at it’s share price… over 600 per share…now if that isn’t expensive and they still buy Apple products. I then don’t know where your getting your info that people won’t buy apple products regardless of the asking price…

Wow, it might not be unprecedented… but, for example, you couldn’t really get to dx10 drivers in windows 95… this is a nail in the coffin of windows 8 o/s… (after we saw so much backlash over dx11, gaming companies reversed course and made wide compatability back to 9.0c-- for at least a year)

By next year, tablet gaming will be on the map for tablet makers as a primary source of buyers given that there are no new consoles on the horizon. Asus, is not the only motherboard mfg that sees a future in tablets… MSI, Gigabyte, and the rest will likely join the bandwagon soon (or buy a company to partner with).

Eek, that just $uck$ big time!

Until January 31 2013, existing Windows XP/Vista/Windows7 users can obtain a downloadable upgrade to Windows 8 for $40, about 240rmb.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_Home_FPP_Null

or go here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/home

and scroll down to the Big Deal, and click, “Get the Details”

It doesn’t matter which version of Windows you’re running now, you can switch to Windows 8 Standard or Windows 8 Pro for the same price.

If you bought a new Windows 7 computer between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013, you can upgrade to Windows 8 for $20, about 120rmb

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/upgrade-offer

Great news for XP/Vista users especially!

You can get the Windows 8 CD shipped for 70usd, about 420rmb

[B]Windows 8 System requirements are:[/B]

[ul]
[li]Processor: 1GHz CPU or faster[/li][li]RAM: 1GB (32-bit) or 2GB (64-bit)[/li][li]Disk space: 16GB (32-bit) or 20GB (64-bit)[/li][li]Graphics: DirectX 9-capable video card with WDDM driver[/li][li]Screen resolution of at least 1024x768 pixels.[/li][li]To snap apps, a resolution of at least 1366x768 pixels is required.[/li][/ul]
you DO NOT need a touch-screen Monitor /PC

[QUOTE=chinarabbit2008;2664799]
Until January 31 2013, existing Windows XP/Vista/Windows7 users can obtain a downloadable upgrade to Windows 8 for $40, about 240rmb.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah about just a far as I can through it into the trash BIN and hit the Recycle button… :flower:

Doesn’t work for Desktop or Laptop of which I use the most and work with…sorry M$ this customer isn’t coming to Windum8 until WinWin9 or WinWinX…

[QUOTE=BradWright;2664148]They’ve already made IE 10 available for Windows 7, and my point is that I think they will do the same thing with DirectX 11.1. By the way, I highly doubt Windows users are going to switch to Apple (or any other OS), especially if they’ve already purchased Windows 8.[/QUOTE]

Not so fast … Preview isn’t the same a Release so one should be careful not to overstate the obvious. Until it is Release IE10 for W7 isn’t official to use. Unless your testing it on the W7 platform. I will stick to IE9 til it is official and release no Preview for me for something that important. You be surprised people do switch from Mac to PC and vise versa because of bad experiences and lack of support or knowing what their customer base wants not what they think will line their bottom dollar…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2664825]Yeah about just a far as I can through it into the trash BIN and hit the Recycle button… :flower:

Doesn’t work for Desktop or Laptop of which I use the most and work with…sorry M$ this customer isn’t coming to Windum8 until WinWin9 or WinWinX…[/QUOTE]

well, i feel the time is likely fast approaching that we wont be able to buy a monitor or TV that isnt touch screen

its the future of homes. wall-mounted mini tablets that pop in and out of hibernate in a second, placed by the door in every room… a larger stand-mounted tablet as you walk through the front door, to control lights, music, heating & A/C etc… a spill-proof tablet in the kitchen pantry for mom’s recipes & to control her favorite music coming from the front room, & to video chat with Auntie while cooking… Built-in tablets on the arms of the sofa or armchair… and bed-side tablets for dimming lights and setting alarms, controlling movies & setting sleep music etc… and a waterproof tablet under the shower head, to control steam, check the morning agenda, and video chat with the secretary, all while playing video of yourself for your morning shave, flipped to replace a mirror… in fact, large screens may replace mirrors in our homes some day.

i would hate for that to come around in some distant Service Pack 10 release of Windows 8, and I have to pay thousands of dollars for Windows 8 then, when i could’ve gotten it for practically nothing now…

its really cheap now… preview may not work on desktops, but i’ve read somewhere that its not going to matter if you’re touchscreen or not, as it will work just as well with a mouse, something like flick-panning & scroll zooming, I suppose/hope

anyway, my Grandmother already has an HP touchcreen desktop monitor, so umm… ya… that should be a wake up call for the rest of us, as to where this is headed…

also, the baby boomer population prefers touch screen & bigger graphical interface and larger zoom fonts etc… and they are soon to become the largest market

anyway, at this price, its worth picking up just to have around for whatever may come… even if it just means that upgrading to Windows 9 will be cheaper someday

because come february, no more discounts like this… has Windows ever offered anything even remotely as good as this?

they want everyone to switch to Windows 8… they dont want a single XP or Vista user left out there… so, they’re seriously banking on something… i say if it builds on Windows 7, and has Windows 7 at its core… how bad could they really screw it up? i think its wise to at least keep it on hand til the first Service Pack release

A few years ago, I saw LG had a nice refrigerator with a touch-screen in one of the doors. Ten-inch. Nice. I could sit across the kitchen, eating a bowl of cereal, watching the Internet. Yeah. Riiiight. Or perhaps they thought customers would merrily stand up in front of the fridge of watch and touch it. Uh huh. That loud KUH-THUD was the sound of Ability-To-Install vs. Interest-In-Doing.

There was obviously some interest in having the fridge ‘do inventories’ - but no bar-scanner was included or enough memory for even a rudimentary UPC database. And no camera to photo whoever was opening the door, or inserting or withdrawing ‘product’ from the fridge. Isn’t that what We Consumers really want? Having HAL run our fridges to control content and usage?

KUH-THUD.