Want to purchase Lite-On DH-20A4H - Need advise

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi guys,

I’m about or want to make a purchase of this drive DH-20A4H. Just want to know if this is a good buy. How is the chip set works for this drive? Any riplock? Not that I need it but it’s on sale at Newegg for 24.99 with free shipping.

Please let me know what do you guy think or should I get a different LightScribe drive.

Thanks and Regards

[QUOTE=bnguyen;2105476][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi guys,

I’m about or want to make a purchase of this drive DH-20A4H. Just want to know if this is a good buy. How is the chip set works for this drive? Any riplock? Not that I need it but it’s on sale at Newegg for 24.99 with free shipping.

Please let me know what do you guy think or should I get a different LightScribe drive.

Thanks and Regards[/QUOTE]

I don’t know about riplock? But if you get the program from liteon it can set the booktype of +R media to -ROM media. I been using my 20A4H since this January 2008 and it has worked well for me I only once updated the firmware to QP5A. I think this drive will work well for your ripping or copying your DVD movies. I know some will say it makes noise but drive noise isn’t a problem for me unlike something breaking but to me means it’s working. But you can also check out the liteon forum for other users reviews on the drive as well.

Thank you much to you mate, one other question I have is which F/W you flashed your drive with? Dual or the one above?

Thanks and Regards,

[QUOTE=bnguyen;2106242]Thank you much to you mate, one other question I have is which F/W you flashed your drive with? Dual or the one above?

Thanks and Regards,[/QUOTE]

F/W I flashed was QP5A for the US region. If you check their site they have either the region your from or Global region which I would use if the US isn’t up to date as the Global F/W update is. You can look also at Liteon site and check the drive and firmware as well to see which one will match. Also if you use the wrong liteon firmware it will tell you it isn’t a match which will save you the headache of bad flashing. I should know I did that and it told me the F/W didn’t match and stopped…that was a relief…

If don’t mind burn audio cd’s ,Lite-On DH-20A4H is just fine for DVD use.

Hi, I’m also interested in purshase this model, but I want to know if it is possible to crossflash it to a LH-20A1H? I have successfully crossflashed my 20A1H to 20A4H and I want to know if it is possible to flash in the reverse order (20A4H --> 20A1H). I don’t like the name “ATAPI” :a.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2106790]Hi, I’m also interested in purshase this model, but I want to know if it is possible to crossflash it to a LH-20A1H? I have successfully crossflashed my 20A1H to 20A4H and I want to know if it is possible to flash in the reverse order (20A4H --> 20A1H). I don’t like the name “ATAPI” :a.[/QUOTE]

Are you having issues or problem with it being crossflashed from 20A1H to 20A4H??? If not you shouldn’t worry…plus crossflashing your voided your warranty the moment you did crossflashing. It’s just a name change with no problem then you shouldn’t worry about if it’s not causing problems.

If you crossflash, it could cause a decrease in quality. You’ll learn to deal with the ATAPI name if you get good results from the drive as-is. I would say you can crossflash, but I wouldn’t go backwards. I leave my drives as they are.

In another thread a user cross flashed a Memorex drive to LiteOn DH-20A1H and had some issues of which I don’t recall the specifics, and he flashed back to original Memorex with no problem. You should be able to flash back too if you wish, but I’d not recommend it unless you have issues with current firmware.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2107277]Are you having issues or problem with it being crossflashed from 20A1H to 20A4H???.[/QUOTE]

No, I really don’t have any problem with it. I flashed with firmware QP53 and I could burn, read fine. Even I check the burns and they were practically the same so I switch back to LL0D.

[QUOTE=Albert;2107279]If you crossflash, it could cause a decrease in quality.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bevills1;2107351]In another thread a user cross flashed a Memorex drive to LiteOn DH-20A1H and had some issues of which I don’t recall the specifics, and he flashed back to original Memorex with no problem.[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention this, I remember that I flashed my LiteOn to 20A4H but with other firmware (don’t remember the version) and the burn quality had decreased so I switch back to the original firmware. Are there different firmwares for the 20A4H drive? I thought that this drive share the same hardware as the 201AH.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2107418]I flashed with firmware QP53 and I could burn, read fine.[/QUOTE]

Lite-On has since released QP5A, which could possibly provide better results with a cross-flashed drive.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2107421]Are there different firmwares for the 20A4H drive? I thought that this drive share the same hardware as the 201AH.[/QUOTE]

Basically the same, except for the Laser Diode hardware that changed mid-way through production of the 20A4H. The new flashers support both LD types, as do C0deKing’s patched firmware flashers.

superhero

[QUOTE=superhero;2107481]Basically the same, except for the Laser Diode hardware that changed mid-way through production of the 20A4H. The new flashers support both LD types, as do C0deKing’s patched firmware flashers.

superhero[/QUOTE]Right, which means the drive won’t outright die from the flashing to an A1H. Just that quality isn’t guaranteed.

There might still be some sort of difference besides the LD that may prevent A1H firmware from working as well as stock firmware…but I think that would be your main problem.

1. The 20A4H is a great drive with great firmware, in some ways it seems slightly better to me than my 20A4P.

2. The 20A1 series and the 20A4 series have similar hardware, but it’s not exactly the same. Quality control on the 20A4s has been improved over the 20A1, for one thing.

3. The purpose of cross-flashing is to upgrade a drive, not downgrade. You gain absolutely no benefit from downflashing to a 20A1, and most asssuredly, you will get poorer performance. The 20A4s are superior drives.

4. I’ve found firmware QP53 to still be the best 20A4H firmware. Trying QP5A resulted in an increase in PIE for me, so I went back to QP53.

Maybe 20A4H have better perfomance than 20A1H drive,but similar hardware,performs similar,so that crossflashing do.

I think always depends on firmware release.For example :
20A1P have newer firmware than 20A4P,now burn DVDs same in quality as 20A4P drive (which looks like Liteon forgot it 6 months now)

20A1P latest firmware also now able burn audio cd’s at <24x speed without problem,not balance results with test firmware than A4P drives do.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2107418]No, I really don’t have any problem with it. I flashed with firmware QP53 and I could burn, read fine. Even I check the burns and they were practically the same so I switch back to LL0D.[/QUOTE]

I confirm that-I just check this, in my friend’s drive with latest firmware QP5A and the test firmware for cdr burn QPV1:rolleyes:

Results were the same,but LL0D firmware looks like have not selectable (or have less issues) for audio cd burn in slow speed (as 20A1P latest firmware)

-The only problem is more speed noise during burn and read, than A4x series.

So hope Liteon don’t forget firmware support for A4x series.