Want to edit Home Movies

Wow Kerry you didn’t need to go to so much trouble this is a very complicated process especially since I may have as many as 75-100 chapters to work with. I appreciate you spending the time but I’m beginning to wonder if it’s worth it now.

I only have 3 of the Dvds in my possession so it will be a few days before I have the rest… I guess at that time I can decide what to do.

I meant to add:
I don’t know if it would be an easier process to put all the chapters together but would it help if I said it wasn’t absolutely necessary to be able to select individual chapters on the finished Dvd?

It saves working on the timeline if you just want them merged together, then made into a dvd.

And if you just wanted to make a dvd with each chapter as a separate title, you wouldn’t even have to merge them. Just import the first one, then click Add Title to DVD, then open the next chapter, click Add Title to DVD, etc. Until you have all the titles/chapters you want in that particular dvd video. Then click Create DVD, set your output site on the hard drive and amend the text in the menu the way you want it. This will give you a menu where you can select each title, but not by chapter points. Each title will play in succession, one after the other.

VideoRedo will make a regular dvd for a single layer blank dvd or for double layer, so you need to know which one it is making. You’ll see where you can adjust the size once you get to the screen after clicking Create DVD. And you have to keep the amount you add in each compilation within those sizes.

Kerry I’m struggling here with even the simplest instructions when I check the first chapter and rip it it lists as VTS_01_1.VOB but when it asks me to rename the next chapter I check I tried naming it VTS_02_1.VOB but it doesn’t even list it. This is all greek to me how do I name succeeding chapters?

If I have several chapters in a row I need can I check them all at one time or do this need to be kept as separate chapters?

Ok guess I figured how to rip them but in the process I found out that online YesVideo assigns 54 chapters to each movie no matter if it’s 30 min or 2hr. and the Dvds have a different number. For instance Dvd 1 has 36 chapters and online it has 54 chapters which make my job much more difficult since I had already selected my chapters from the online movie.

Thanks for the help!

I was wondering about them assigning each separate video as a chapter unto itself. It could be done, but that would be a bit difficult if they have 54 chapters in each and every dvd.

Which is why I first directed you to VideoReDo. If each video is not a separate chapter, or you have some that are split into many chapters, then you can select what you want to extract on the timeline.

Hope you have a handle on the process that you want to use by now.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2668571]Hope you have a handle on the process that you want to use by now.[/QUOTE]

Actually I really don’t it’s just confusing to me and I would really like to learn how to do this.

If I go back to your original suggestion and try to use VideoReDo to edit each Dvd which is easier for what I’m wanting to do Cut Mode or Scene Mode?

Once I get a portion edited do I “Save As” or “Add Title To Dvd” so I can go on to the next Dvd to edit it?

If I understand correctly VideoReDo will let me edit each Dvd and then combine them into one Dvd… I think I’ve kind of decided I do want to end up with chapters.

I use VideoRedo in Cut mode, since I’m normally removing stuff I don’t want. Since you are extracting and saving the extracted parts, you’ll want to use the other mode. Its simpler than removing everything around the section you want saved.

If you use the Add Title to DVD tool, each section you cut out will be its own entry into the dvd compilation, and you’ll be able to access each one in the menu. The problem with this work path is that I don’t think you’ll be able to switch from one physical dvd to another and still keep your compilation active in the program. So, I would think it would be best to save each section you cut out as an mpeg file. Then, when you’ve made all the selections you want, bring each of them into the program to build your dvd by using the Add Title to DVD button.

If you’d rather organize the dvd only by chapters, you’ll need to go through the process of merging them together then setting scene markers to create your chapter points.

You can, of course, do something of both…have each as a separate title and create chapter points within each title.

Hmm, just read back through that, and its none too clear. Let me know if you need another attempt at an explanation.

Kerry I think I’m getting the hang of editing each Dvd but unfortunately that’s probably the easy part.:slight_smile:

I’m using “Scene Mode” as you suggested and saving as a mpeg file.

When I’m going through each Dvd to edit do I have to do these in the order of how I want them on my final Dvd or will I be able to put each Mpeg file in any order I want?

I’m not there yet with my editing (still waiting for final Dvd) but I will need help when it comes to merging them together and creating chapters. Thanks Kerry!

I don’t have VideoRedo but I’m going to make a guess based on other software .
There may be move up or move down buttons to change the order.
Some use the “drag” method to change the order.
If you don’t find those then I’m sure Kerry can tell you.

VideoRedo TV Suite isn’t the most comprehensive, and versatile dvd authoring program. I rarely use it for authoring, so I may not be the best person to ask about that part of the program.

The mpeg files that you make and then bring into the program to build your dvd can be introduced in any order that you want. One of the best parts of this program is that it is capable of what is called smart rendering, in which it will re-encode only around the cuts, and then only if it is necessary for smooth playback. So cutting and then bringing in the videos is not an issue. If you want to change the order once they are brought in, eh, that part I’m not so sure about. You might have to remove and then reinsert sections.

Probably not as important to be able to rearrange videos inside the program as to be able to enter them in the order I want going in which you said I could do.

Ok I have my Mpeg files saved but how do I get them into the Dvd? When I open VideoReDo, then “File” and “Open Video” it brings me to the Mpeg video’s I saved. When I click on the first Mpeg it brings up the main screen but when I click on “Add Title to DVD” button it says “The project you are trying to add to the Dvd has no selected scenes. Please select some scenes and try again.” But the reason there are no selected scenes is because these Mpeg video’s are the selected scenes already cut.

Can you give me detailed instructions on how to proceed after the above is accomplished? Maybe to experiment how to put the Dvd together without chapters and then instructions to do one with chapters.

I had no such problems bringing in a couple of mpeg files and making a compilation dvd with separate titles for each of the two files. I selected Add Title to DVD and both went straight into the list.

I’ll try cutting some sections out of a dvd video and see if it balks.

When you get that [I]“The project you are trying to add to the Dvd has no selected scenes. Please select some scenes and try again.”[/I] error message, click on Add Selection before clicking on the Add Title to DVD button.

To add chapter points within each title, you’ll have to go through the process of changing the setting to have chapter points at each Scene Marker, then put in scene markers on the time line manually before adding the title to the dvd. Or you can set the program to make chapter points automatically every few minutes, where you set how much time between chapter points.

To have one title, you’ll have to join everything together as I’ve already described, then choose Scene Markers at the start of each little video.

Clicking on Add Selection before clicking on the Add Title to DVD button worked!

Oh my this is getting confusing trying to follow your instructions on doing chapters:

1. If I do nothing with chapters will I still be able to click on each video separately on the Dvd which would in a way be chapters?

2. Where is the setting to make chapters automatically in case I want to try that?

3. I’ve left everything on default settings is there some I should change?

1. If I wanted to play around with trying to set chapter markers will this permanently change my Mpeg video or will the original Mpeg file always be safe?

2. Do Chapter markers necessarily have to all be at the same intervals or is this just something that’s normally done to make a nicer movie? I ask this because within each Mpeg video I have long and short cuts pertaining to different subject matter.

3. I changed the Dvd output and also to create ISO file but every time I open VideoReDo I have to re-enter these settings again is there a setting to save these?

[QUOTE=mccoady;2668787]Clicking on Add Selection before clicking on the Add Title to DVD button worked!

Oh my this is getting confusing trying to follow your instructions on doing chapters:

1. If I do nothing with chapters will I still be able to click on each video separately on the Dvd which would in a way be chapters?

2. Where is the setting to make chapters automatically in case I want to try that?

3. I’ve left everything on default settings is there some I should change?[/QUOTE]

4. If you introduce each video into the compilation by making each one a separate title (Add Title to DVD function), then you [B]will[/B] be able to access each one in the menu. Just make sure to set up the menu as you want, with a description of each title so you know which one is which. Each title will play completely through, then the next one will play. You should be able to advance to the next one with the player controls, or go back to the menu to select one.

5. Changing how the program sets up chapters is done in Tools–>Options–>Chapter Marks. You’ll see the various ways to set up chapters at the top of that window.

6. You will have to change how the chapters are set up if you actually want them installed. Other than that, you don’t really need to adjust settings.

[QUOTE=mccoady;2668789]4. If I wanted to play around with trying to set chapter markers will this permanently change my Mpeg video or will the original Mpeg file always be safe?

1. Do Chapter markers necessarily have to all be at the same intervals or is this just something that’s normally done to make a nicer movie? I ask this because within each Mpeg video I have long and short cuts pertaining to different subject matter.

2. I changed the Dvd output and also to create ISO file but every time I open VideoReDo I have to re-enter these settings again is there a setting to save these?[/QUOTE]

3. The original material is not affected by your edits.

4. Chapter points set at Scene markers can be set at any interval you want. Chapter points set by time duration, will of course be at regular intervals.

5. Not that I know of.

Kerry I made my first Dvd thanks to you!:bow:

Now that I’ve did it once I’m thinking that there was a few things I could have done differently. If I cut and pasted everything in the VideoReDo-TVSuite folder to another folder as a backup to save my Mpeg files could I later copy and past them back into the VideoReDo folder? The reason I ask is as an experiment I would like to start over editing my YesVideo Dvds and maybe try saving every cut/edit as a Mpeg file essentially creating more titles. I might not like the results so I wanted to be able to delete everything and copy my original Mpeg files back into the folder but didn’t know if VideoReDo/Windows would object.

The main thing I can see different in my created Video Dvd and YesVideo’s Dvd is in the menu where the latter has thumbnail pictues of each chapter can VideoReDo do this?

Yes, you should be able to copy and paste the mpeg files and save them in another location without affecting them.

I haven’t seen a thumbnail option in the menu controls. I’m a bit reluctant to add another program to your inventory, since you’ve just become familiar with this one, but AVStoDVD can take the mpeg files you cut out using VideoReDo and build a dvd for you that will include thumbnails.

AVStoDVD is free to use, and it won’t re-encode video or audio that is already compliant to dvd specifications. Set up the program to make NTSC compliant dvds. That’s the first step. By default it will try to make dvds to fit onto single layer dvds, so if that’s what you want, you don’t have to adjust that.

Start the program, click on the green + sign on the right side of the main window to bring in your first mpeg file. This will be inserted into the compilation as a separate title, just like in VideoReDo. AVStoDVD may want to index the files…let it do so. And if you get a little pop up window asking about the audio stream, just click on the X to close that little popup window. Keep doing this till you have all the mpeg files you want for this particular dvd in the compilation.

At this point you are ready to add the menu. Click on DVD Menu at the top of the main window in AVStoDVD. You’ll see lots of options in this menu wizard. You can change settings in here if you want to, but the one button you really need to click is called Run Editor. This will bring up a preview of the menu, showing the various thumbnails and the text. Put a dot in the little circle for Edit (under Mode) at the bottom left. This will let you change the parameters and text of the menu. Once you have it the way you want, just click on the X to close the window. You will now be creating a dvd with a menu as you set it up.

Now you’re back in the main window of AVStoDVD. Set your output folder for your new dvd you are making. Then click on Start. Since you aren’t re-encoding anything, this process should be reasonably quick.