Want to edit Home Movies

Our family had all our old 8mm movie reels transferred to Dvds which has chapters… these are home videos mostly from the 50’s and 60’s. The technology wasn’t that great back then so we have a lot of scenes where they are too dark to see and it would be nice to edit them out and burn new Dvds.

I have ripped the Dvds to my computer in two forms (1) Vob files using AnyDvd and (2) ISO file ImgBurn not knowing which would be easier to work with.

Is there an easy to use software that will me edit out scenes/chapters?

I’ve never had a great deal of luck cutting and splicing mpeg2 (codec used in dvd-video) with free tools. A few do exist, but your results are not guaranteed.

I prefer VideoReDo TV Suite, which is a commercial program. And there are a couple of other commercial programs that should work well with this format: Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD and TMPGenc Authoring Works 5.

There are free trials available for all three of those programs.

I know its not frame accurate but you might try DVDShrink .
Use its Reauthor & Set Start/End Frames function .
There are tutorials on doing this just google.
You probably can find some information on this here at club.myce.
When you finish use the Backup & set it like you want.
Then use a player like VLC to see if you like the results.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2664177]I’ve never had a great deal of luck cutting and splicing mpeg2 (codec used in dvd-video) with free tools. A few do exist, but your results are not guaranteed.

I prefer VideoReDo TV Suite, which is a commercial program. And there are a couple of other commercial programs that should work well with this format: Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD and TMPGenc Authoring Works 5.

There are free trials available for all three of those programs.[/QUOTE]

I’m not opposed to buying software but I had no idea video editing software was that expensive I may need to wait awhile since I had planned on buying Slyce when it came out.

If I decide to buy it down the road do I want VideoReDo TV Suite with H.264 or VideoReDo TV Suite Version 3? Is this software pretty easy to use?

You might give AVI DeMux a try, it can cut MPEG2, although with about .5 second resolution (not frame accurate). It can do this without re-encoding with its loss of quality. There should be tutorials at the link I posted too.

Every time I’ve tried to cut mpeg2 with AviDemux, even cutting on I frames, I wind up with video/audio synchronization problems. I’ve pretty much stopped recommending it for mpeg2. Since I haven’t tried the program on mpeg2 since they completely reworked it in version 2.6, I’ll do a test and see if they have improved things.

As far as VideoRedo TV Suite goes…you don’t need the H264 version if you are not working with blu ray or HD video from camcorders. In fact, you could get by with just the simple VideoRedo Plus if you don’t mind authoring the mpeg2 output to dvd-video in another program. If you output in mpeg2, then import into AVStoDVD, you can make your dvd that way. The TV Suite includes authoring capability.

VideoRedo is easy for me. I’ve used it and the Womble programs in the past, and while any software takes a bit of hands on experience neither were difficult. But they don’t have some of the options you might find in other video editing programs in this price range. The TMPGenc program might be overkill for you.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2664190] As far as VideoRedo TV Suite goes…you don’t need the H264 version if you are not working with blu ray or HD video from camcorders. In fact, you could get by with just the simple VideoRedo Plus if you don’t mind authoring the mpeg2 output to dvd-video in another program. If you output in mpeg2, then import into AVStoDVD, you can make your dvd that way. The TV Suite includes authoring capability.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kerry don’t know if I would ever be working with a camcorder at all and unless TV Suite H.264 has any other things I might need someday I will probably go with the TV Suite so I’m only dealing with one program.

I just did a test with AviDemux Version 2.6 and had no problems with audio/video synchronization with it. I took a commercial movie, cut the first section off, then cut out a small section in the middle, then cut off the credits and it produced an mpeg2 file with no errors in playback.

If the budget is tight, you might try this program. Leave the video and audio on Copy. Put the output format as Mpeg-PS and make sure to give your video file an .mpg extension…like this: yourvideo.mpg

To get back to dvd-video format, you’d need to use an authoring program of some type. There are many to choose from. Since AVStoDVD doesn’t reencode dvd compliant streams, it is usually a good choice, but there are others that do nothing but author mpeg2.

Ok thanks!

You might also be able to get your work done during the Video ReDo free trial period.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2664209]You might also be able to get your work done during the Video ReDo free trial period.[/QUOTE]

Yeah maybe so never thought of that will have to wait until I get all our converted movies back from vender.

I have thought of a couple more questions:

1. Will VideoReDo TV Suite Version 3 let you convert video for difference devices like an iPad or do you need the H.264 Version for that?

2. Will either version let you pick and choose frames/chapters from multiple Dvds and then combine them to make a new Dvd?

You would need the H264 version to go to mobile devices. I personally would use a different program to convert to those formats…ike the free programs Handbrake or Vidcoder.

Yes you can cut out sections, then join them together in VideoReDo.

Kerry just curious why do you prefer Handbrake or Vidcoder over VideoReDo for converting to mobile devices?

I’ve never used VideoReDo H264 to convert to mobile formats, so I’m just basing this on experience using programs that encode with X264. The X264 encoder is very well respected, and I have had great results with it. There are even a few commercial programs that have gone to it for H264. TMPGenc is one that uses it.

Some of the smaller companies that convert to H264 are using their own encoding engine. Ideal has one, for example, and while it is not bad, the control system they include with it is far less versatile.

Many of the big names in video encoding and editing, like Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas are using the MainConcept H264 encoder. Which is fine, but I’ve not seen any head to head comparisons where MainConcept was significantly better than X264. They may exist, but I haven’t run across them.

I’m not sure what VideoRedo is using for H264 encoding. So, with that uncertainty, I’m more likely to endorse programs that I know use X264.

Kerry I finally got 3 of the 7 Dvds back from the outfit that is transferring our home movies from 8mm reels with the remaining coming next week. I haven’t downloaded VideoReDo yet but have been going over the manual… I would like to try it out before I buy it but how does the trial work?

I didn’t see anywhere it said you could load ISO files into VideoReDo can you do this?

I guess I’m dense even after reading the manual but I’m still not entirely sure how to take chapters off of multiple Dvds and then combine them into a single Dvd… I might also want to edit down a chapter?

Ok figured out the trial and how to load ISO files but the rest of this is maybe over my head.

We used YesVideo online to transfer our 8mm reels to Dvd and we ended up with 7 Dvds. These have various lengths some 30min, 40min, 1hr, and 2hr we did this to separate content in case I wasn’t able to do this myself later on. Curiously no matter the length of the Dvd they all contain 54 Chapters.

YesVideo does have an editing option where once you buy the initial Dvds and they put the movies online for backup or you can share with relatives I am able to create new movies from among the 7. The way it works is I create a New Project and then I can drag Chapters from any of the movies to create a new one. This is easy and works great but then you have order that new movie from them which is another $20.

I barely understand VideoReDo but I don’t see whether it keeps the same Chapters as the original movie or how I’m able to choose the whole chapter not individual frames which is want I want to do?

VideoReDo is a frame accurate video editor which allows you to set a starting point and and end point on a timeline and select that section of the movie. Depending on how you set it up, you can choose to save that section or cut it out (though you can toggle back and forth within the program too).

If every section you want to save is already set up as a chapter, you might not need VideoReDo at all. You can use DVDDecrypter to select each chapter that you want from each individual dvd movie that you have and save it. Use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode for this.

Depending on which method you use, you will get different outputs from your initial cuts. You could have VideoRedo output as mpeg files for each section you take out. Then you could build a dvd video in that program in one of two ways. You could have each individual mpeg file as a title, with its own selection button in the menu. Or you could merge all of the mpeg files together and make it one continuous title. What I’m not sure about is setting chapter points in VideoReDo, since I don’t use that program for authoring purposes.

If you use DVDDecrypter to select chapters, each one will be its own little dvd-video. From there, you can merge them together into one mpeg file, or use them as input into an authoring program. VideoReDo will probably accept each one as a separate title and build a new dvd for you.

So, getting the sections out is not a problem. Rebuilding the dvd with chapter points only, not separate titles, might be an issue…but I don’t know that for certain, since I don’t use VideoReDo in this manner.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2668247]

If every section you want to save is already set up as a chapter, you might not need VideoReDo at all. You can use DVDDecrypter to select each chapter that you want from each individual dvd movie that you have and save it. Use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode for this.

If you use DVDDecrypter to select chapters, each one will be its own little dvd-video. From there, you can merge them together into one mpeg file, or use them as input into an authoring program. VideoReDo will probably accept each one as a separate title and build a new dvd for you.

[/QUOTE]

Kerry thanks for replying but this is becoming pretty difficult for me I was hoping for a simple method/software like YesVideo where it lets you choose a New Project, select/drag thumbnails of Chapters from different movies and then combine them in the New Project. Maybe VideoReDo could do this in a roundabout way if i actually understood how to use it.

Before I give up and just pay YesVideo to do this when using the Dvd Decrypter method how do I combine the Vob files from each Dvd?

Sounds like you might need a authoring program along with a video editor.

Be careful about buying software that no one has heard of before…or for that matter some we have heard of.

Alright, I’ve gone through the process and now know how to do this with DVDDecrypter and VideoRedo TV Suite. Doesn’t help you yet I know. :slight_smile:

Ok, first off, we’re going to use DVDDecrypter to rip individual chapters from your dvds. You need to rip from a disc, or from a mounted ISO file. I don’t know which you have. You can mount ISO files in a free program called VirtualClone Drive from Slysoft.

Using DVDDecrypter in IFO mode, you open the dvd and on the right side, you’ll see a list of chapters. Right click on one of the chapters and select Invert Selection. This will take all the check marks off the chapters. Now go through and get the one chapter that you want from this disc in this first operation (place a check mark in the box next to this one chapter). Rip it to the hard drive, and you’ll see that it comes in the form of a small dvd video.

Do this for each and every one of the chapters that you want.

Next up to bat, VideoReDo TV Suite. Start the program and click on Open Video. Navigate to the first chapter that you want in your new compilation. Let it open the video, then click on Joiner at the top of the main window. Add this first video to the list. Now, without closing VideoReDo, click on File, then Open Video. Open the second video, and add it to the Joiner list. Do this for every one of them.

When you have all of them in the Joiner list, click on Create Video from Joiner List. This will produce an mpeg file from your chapters.

Now, go into Tools–>Options within VideoReDo. Go to Chapter Marks. Put a check mark in the box for Chapters at Scene Markers. Click OK.

Next step is to open the mpeg file you made from your chapters. At this point you’re going to have to do some work on the time line. At the very first point of the time line you’ll see a little sliding cursor. You can move this along the time line to find various parts of the video. While the cursor is still on the first part of this time line, hit A on your keyboard. You’ll notice that a little red triangle appears on that part of the timeline. This is a scene marker.

Move the cursor to the start of the second chapter within this mpeg file. Hit A again to leave a scene marker here. Do this for every one of the chapters. You have lots of navigation tools in this editor to fine tune the placement of the markers.

Once that is set, click on Create DVD down at the bottom right of the window. You may want to change the output location of the dvd, and you most definitely will want to change the text of the menu. Once you have everything set, hit Author.

You will now have a dvd with one title, but it will also have chapter points that you can navigate to with any stand alone dvd player or computer software player.

The other way to do this is to make separate titles for each chapter. You wouldn’t have to join them all together to do this. They would play in sequence and you could select each from within the menu, but you wouldn’t have chapter marks within each title unless you do some manual scene markers within each title, or set the program to make chapters for a certain period of time duration.