Want opinions on Diskeeper

I’m looking at defrag utilities that can run in the background to keep things nice and neat. Anybody using Diskeeper or have experience with it?

Diskeeper

ive used diskeeper lite i thought it was ok but i prefer o&o defrag http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60388

at least everything not went wrong…

I like diskeeper. it’s quite powerful.

but there maybe other cheaper software

I like it and I like the interface, also for NTFS it has some additional nice options: Page file defrag, master file table defrag, directory consolidation (all files in a directory are continuous). Never tried O&O though, don’t know how they compare.

I have tried many different defraggers Vopt, perfect disk, O&O and diskeeper. I prefer the diskeeper it is fast and powerful. the new 7.0 version has the “set it and forget it” feature which would seem to be what you are looking for.

I’ve been a frequent user of Diskeeper 7 (mine’s 7.0.398.0 ) since …don’t remember when :slight_smile:

Currently running Disckeeper 7 (7.0.393.0) and it works like a charm.

I use Diskeeper as well.

Just so you know, ver 7.0.422 is out. Free upgrade on their site…

Thanks to everybody for the input. I got the home version, downloaded. Unfortunately, the user files are a bit limited, I wondered if anyone could shed light on the “continuous” option in the scheduling dialog. What does this do if you schedule defrag to run continuously?

I’ve used Diskeeper 7 for ages, just changed over to O&O V4 and it is miles better. So many more options than Diskeeper and defrags 100% which Diskeeper does/will not do all of the time.

JM2C :slight_smile:

Having just got latest version of diskeeper I have been trying Boot defrag.

I set it for files and chkdsk as I have already got page file defragged using another program.

When it starts it says no need to do MFT table as pagefile is already defragged which is correct.

It then starts to do files and I notice it moves loads of file attributes and clusters.
Takes about 20 mins.

After rebooting etc I run a few other programs then try a CHKDSK.

CheckDSK says the attributes are incorrect and files needs resetting.
It then puts everything back as before.

Whats the point then in running Boot defrag.

Same thing happens whe Norton Diskdoctor checks it says files a incorrect and does same thing using CHDSK as before.

I have run diskeeper boot 3 times with same result each time.

Got a full version of this program before buying Diskeeper but found the time taken to defrag ran into hours but diskeeper does it in minutes.

I posted a similiar topic on Diskeeper in December 2002. I finally bit the bullet and purchased the SERVER version of Diskeeper 7.So far i haven’t encountered any problems with running this program. I just set it to run in the background and believe it our not i have seen an improvement in the way programs load and execute. My OS is Windows XP-PRO.

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told

I have been using Norton Utilities’ Speed Disk for quite some time now. Since Diskeeper is also available as a lite version (Freeware), I decided to download and test it. It seems to be faster compared to Norton Speed Disk. So now I use PageDefrag to defrag System Files (which Diskeeper Lite can’t) and Diskeeper for the rest. However I noticed one problem with Diskeeper - If you have less free space - it doesnt defrag 100% eg: once on a terribly fragmented 16 GB drive I had 1.5 GB free and it wont defrag 100% which is quite a worry.

Never tried O&O. But if its slower than Diskeeper I wouldnt like to :slight_smile:

Originally posted by ExpertTech
However I noticed one problem with Diskeeper - If you have less free space - it doesnt defrag 100% eg: once on a terribly fragmented 16 GB drive I had 1.5 GB free and it wont defrag 100% which is quite a worry.

common problem - microsofts defrag utility doesnt want to run without 15 % of the hard drive free, and 1.5/16 is < 10 % :wink:

defrag utility doesnt want to run without 15 % of the hard drive free, and 1.5/16 is < 10 %

It has more to do with continuous free space. You can have 25% free, but if it’s not continuous it can’t be used for defrag. Disckeeper will actually fragment a file on purpose in order to move it, many others will not.
I’m very happy with Diskeeper, particularly the “set it and forget it” features which save me loads of time.