Want a LTD163D GHR6 that's a LITEON and not "JMLS"?

As you might know, Liteon dvd’s become “JLMS” when upgrading to the latest firmware. :rolleyes:
There’s also a serious chance you’ll kill your drive with this Windows upgrader. :frowning:

If you’re not afraid of Mtkflash, get the GHR6f.BIN from my site and you will catch 3 birds in 1 shot:

• Upgrade in DOS :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Drive will be recognized as LITEON ltd-163D GHR6, not JLMS :slight_smile:
  • As a bonus, the drive will be region free! :smiley:

Many thanks for SecretAgentMan who did all the work and sent it over for everybody to share :cool:

Glad to help when I can Mango.

:slight_smile:

Thx for the info Mango & SecretAgentMan …

I want to know if it is possible to “change” the firmware from a ltd163D that already has the GHR6 firmware version…
my lite-on came with that firmware installed.

RHYTMOS

ps: I bought it a week ago. :frowning:

I don’t see why that would be a problem rhytmos. You should be able to use the Mtkflash utility with the (163D) .bin file of your choice. Mango has an excellent site with a temporary link to the necessary files needed and instructions on how to reflash the firmware. See his post above for the site link.

:slight_smile:

Yes, it’s sure possible, Mtkflash doesn’t care what firmware is already in the drive.

However, if you only want to make the drive region free, all you have to do is run the R1211 region free utility - check it up in my site. It will still be a JLMS…

If you “must” make it a Liteon too, you can do a full flash with SecretAgentMan’s binary = GHR6f.BIN

i don’t get whats wrong with it saying JLMS instead of Lite-ON, isn’t this the start of an exciting lite-ON/JVC partnership? Whether it says JLMS or lite-ON it’s still the same drive, me personally would rather have it say Toshiba, but thats just my opinion!

i just noticed, that DVD drive doesn’t read DVD-RAM, my Toshiba SD-M1612 does! I guess you get what you pay for.

163(D) does not read DVD-RAM, the 165H does.

thx for the info… about reflashing the firmware… I thought the lite-on drives use some kind of protection mechanism to not allow that (like some cable-modems, or some old plex drivers)

RHYTMOS

Nope, they don’t.

Originally posted by Yorke_19
i don’t get whats wrong with it saying JLMS instead of Lite-ON, isn’t this the start of an exciting lite-ON/JVC partnership? Whether it says JLMS or lite-ON it’s still the same drive, me personally would rather have it say Toshiba, but thats just my opinion!

I just prefer it saying LITEON over JLMS. JLMS reminds me of generic players that I would find at a cheap computer shop, lol.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t care about name change if new f/w is actual improvement over previously released versions.

Hopefully JLMS will make DVD-R/W drives soon with Lite-On quality and prices, too. :wink:

Thank U Mr. Mango and Mr. SecretAgentMan, you saved my Lite-On from disgrace. Although I’d like to see Lite-On like my CDRW rather than LiteOn. But WTF, as long as it’s not JMLS and region free, I’m happy!