Want a laugh about converting a movie from AVI to DVD?

vbimport

I am currently attempting to convert a 2hr movie from AVI format to DVD format.
It’s my first ever try at this having first read guides and tips from all over the net.
I have read in forums that it takes a long time to do this conversion and was surprised to read it could take 13 hours.
Using WinAviVideo, I started the conversion at 2pm (UK time) yesterday afternoon. A few hours later it still converting so I mowed the lawn, had a long walk, then a meal. A few more hours down the line, still converting.
I went to bed around midnight with the laptop switched on and still converting.
9am this morning, 19 hours after starting the conversion it’s still converting.
I’ve had lunch and finished off the lawn, It’s now 4pm and it’s still converting,
26hrs after starting,lol.
I’ve been tempted more than once to cancel the operation but I am fascinated now to discover how long it will take to complete.
Is my experience unusual or the norm’? I’d be interested to know what the longest record is for converting a 2hr movie.
I have an Acer 5720 laptop, Intel core 2 duo T 7500 CPU, 2 GB ddr2 Ram.

That’s a bit long for simple avi to dvd conversion.

I convert blu ray to dvd in far less time than that…usually 4 to 6 hrs. And that takes a lot more processing power. I have a much more capable, 6 core machine however.

My favorite tool for conversion of avi to dvd is called AVStoDVD. It is free to use and comes with an excellent mpeg2 encoder called HCenc. You can find it here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

It also works well for conversion of many types of high def material to dvd-video format.

Thanks for your reply Kerry56.
I got fed up waiting for the conversion to finish and terminated the process at 10am today,44hrs after it was started.
After termination the destination folder for the conversion showed two Ifo files and two Bup files along with six VTS VOB files. The first VOB file was a 13MB file for the titles, then there were four VOB files,each .99GB size and a final VOB file of 170MB which was grayed out.
I can’t tell how far through the conversion was when I terminated but I will try again using AVStoDVD.
I have downloaded the program via your link and will try it out over the next few days.
Thanks again for your advice.

I’ve installed and browsed through AVStoDVD including the help file.
Can anyone recommend a guide for setting up the program to convert AVI files toDVD?
I’ve seen a very detailed guide online for converting Blue Ray but I suspect most of that would not apply to converting AVI, or would it?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don’t know of a guide, but I can help a bit.

Start up AVStoDVD and click on Preferences at the top of the screen. This gets you into the part of the program where you can set up paths, and encoding settings. You’ll see a window with a few tabs.

In the System tab, put a check mark in the box to enable multithread encoding if available.

Click on Paths and set up the places on your hard drive where you want the output and the working files.

Next, on to the AviSynth tab, where you might want to put a check mark in the PAL speedup for NTSC film to PAL box (since you are in England, and use PAL standard for dvds).

In the Video tab set the dvd video standard to PAL. Also put a check mark in the box to keep dvd compliant video.

In the Audio tab, audio should be AC3, and bitrate should be 224 for most encodes. Put a check mark to keep compliant audio. AC3 encoder should be Wavi + Aften unless you run into some problems with that setting.

Once you are done, put a check mark in the box to save current preferences as default, then click OK.

Now lets take a look at some of the other controls on the main page of AVStoDVD. You’ll see a control for DVD Size, either DVD-5 single layer or DVD-9 double layer are the normal sizes, though you can make a custom size too.

Output allows you to change what type of video is produced. Most of the time you will want dvd video folders.

DVD Menu lets you get into the dvd menu wizard, so you can make menus for your video. This can be handy if you want to make a dvd using several different videos as input. You can access each video separately this way.

To import an avi file to the program click on the green + sign on the right. This lets you search your computer for the file and insert it into your compilation.

If you want to examine what the encoding parameters are for the video, click the little gear icon just under the green + sign on the right. This lets you see which encoder the program has selected to work with your input. I very much prefer HCenc over the Quenc encoder that is also included, so I normally change it if Quenc has been selected. To do that, unclick Auto Video Setup, and change the encoder to HCenc VBR 2-pass.

Now lets say you have a foreign film and wish to add subtitles. Look at the video you’ve added in AVStoDVD. It should show the video and audio streams. Right click on the main window of AVStoDVD, then click on Subtitles. This lets you navigate to the place on your hard drive where you have the subtitle file and adds it to the dvd-video you are making.

You can adjust the type of menu for the dvd if you wish. To do so, click on DVD Menu and run the Editor. Once done with changes, just close it and the changes will be applied.

If you are ready to start the encoding, click on the big Start icon at the bottom right of the main window.

What a fantastic starter guide, that’s exactly what I needed.
I shall enjoy setting the program up and trying it out now knowing that I
stand a chance of success by following your guidance.
I really appreciate your help. Many thanks.

Well I rave about DVDFab and it does have a Video Converter that you can try out for Free. I also convert Blu-ray to DVD, but it takes me less than an hour. I do have a Workstation with a Core i7 and 12Gb of RAM. I don’t recommend Laptops for serious Video work, and yours sound undersized. :cool:

I’ve tried the DVDFab blu ray to dvd option. It was the absolute worst quality video I’ve seen from a converter in the last 5 years. Not one of the worst, not just bad, [B]THE WORST OUTPUT[/B] I’ve seen. I wouldn’t use it to convert dog food commercials.

I do not advise it to anyone for any purpose for any reason.

I have been using DVDFab for more than 5 years, and I have the full paid versions. I usually Back up the Blu-ray to Blu-ray Movie Only and use Verbatim Media with no problems. I like the Full Resolution so if the Movie doesn’t fit on a Single Layer Disc I use Dual Layer. When you downgrade to DVD you are going to lose resolution, so I usually convert to use DVD+R DL. Like I said, you are not going to get Blu-ray quality but it does compare to DVD Standards, looks good to me on a 62" Mitsubishi. :cool:

Though we are getting off track, I cannot let this pass without more comments. The DVDFab module for conversion of blu ray to dvd is without question the worst encoding program I’ve had the bad luck to work with in the last few years. I haven’t seen anything quite like it since I last tried to play around with SUPER. I’m not sure what Fab has done to their mpeg2 encoder, but it is disastrous in its output. To recommend it to a newcomer is bordering on criminal behavior! :slight_smile:

AVStoDVD can produce dvd-video comparable to commercial dvds when working with blu ray source, especially if using higher bitrates when converting to DVD-9 size. The high quality is due mostly to the HC encoder. You can also use AviSynth filters when necessary to fine tune output.

By the way, Fab is also known to produce lesser quality when compressing blu ray to smaller sizes (keeping it in blu ray format). Their problems come from setting up their converter for speed primarily, rather than quality. Video enthusiasts around the net very much prefer any program that can use the x264 encoder, and all of them have more versatility in setting up encoding parameters. I haven’t tried Fab for compression of blu ray personally, so this report of less quality output is something I haven’t confirmed. I use BD Rebuilder for blu ray compression and the results are superb.

I haven’t worked with any bluray yet as I’m not setup in any way to do it.
I do use DVDRebuilder with HCEnc & have been very satisfied with the compression results.
If I was going to create an .avi from DVD compliant files those would probably have been through DVDRebuilder first.
I would need to work with AVStoDVD more to see if it can use HCEnc as well as DVDRebuilder.

Hi Kerry56.
I have setup AVStoDVD following your guide and am almost ready to go but I have a query about the Audio settings.
The classic movie I am converting has mono sound so should I select a setting other than AC3? Look forward to your reply.
I’m loving the debate on the efficiencies of the encoders,lol.

Just use AC3 2-channel stereo…

The first stage of the conversion, which took 2hrs5mins, appears to have completed. In the destination folder I now have a log file, a TS Audio(empty) folder, and a TS Video folder.
The video folder has two Bup files,two Ifo files and five Vob files. The total size of the Vob files is 4.5GB.
Is it normal for the audio folder to be empty? and how do I get the files on to a DVD?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

It is normal to have an empty Audio_TS folder.

I suggest burning the dvd video to a disk using ImgBurn, which is a free, highly respected burning program.

You can download it here: www.imgburn.com

Follow this guide for burning dvd-video in file format to a disk. http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632
Since you are using a laptop burner, I’d suggest burning at something less than full speed. Say 4x or 6x. Use good media. We normally recommend Verbatim (AZO dye) and Taiyo Yuden.

Yes it’s normal for AUDIO_TS to be empty…To “get the files on to a DVD” IOW burn them on to a DVD disc, one way is to import the VIDEO_TS folder in your fave burning app…Hopefully your fave burning app is (drumroll) IMGburn…
Course you may have another preference, we all do…

Edit: still toooo slow with my typing…:o

If the size of the Video_TS folder is 4.5GB it’s not going to fit on a SL DVD.
I don’t know why it didn’t compress to around 4.35GB . I did manage to get 4.39GB to burn to a disc but at least for me 4.39 GB or larger always says it’s too large.

Thanks for the help guys.
My mistake cholla, the total is 4.329GB not 4.5.
I’ll follow the Imgburn link you’ve given tomorrow.
It’s getting a bit late over here in the UK, almost midnight.
Cheers.

Eureka! I’ve now got a classic film on Verbatum DVD media that plays in glorious black and white, lol, on my stand alone DVD player.
The quality of the picture and sound is superb and I can’t tell any difference from the original AVI files.
Many thanks Kerry56 for sharing your expertise with me. I followed your link to the Imgburn tutorial and using your recommended Verbatum media, with a burn speed of 6x the burn process was flawless.
Like you and others on this forum, I too like Imgburn and although I’ve used it to burn and mount Iso images I’ve never used it for burning other DVD types. I shall be using it more often now.
I think your opinion of AVStoDVD is justified, what a terrific program it is, and free too.
Thanks to all posters for your help. My learning curve would not have been as smooth as it was without your help.
Regards to all.