Walmart Secret Sale: Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player $98.87 and more

Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player for $98.87.
http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret&utm_source=Walmartcom&utm_medium=POV1&utm_content=secret1&utm_campaign=holiday&povid=cat14503-env15844-module117144-lLink1

Regular price $198.
It is a good HD-DVD player, also plays and upscale your DVD to near HD quality.
Starts Friday at 8AM, but if you click walmart frontpage it says starts today. So good luck!

There are also

• Sanyo 50" 720p Plasma HDTV for $998.00 ($300 off)
  • Acer Laptop 1GB RAM Celeron for $348.00

I know this isn’t much notice but thought I’d share this info here.

Thought this was a nice find to share.

Ok this is just absolutely nuts. $99 for a Toshiba HD DVD player and $348 for a 1GB Acer Laptop supposedly this Friday at Wal-Mart and it isn’t even Black Friday yet. This is being advertised as the “Secret in-store specials” ri-walmart.com site which I’m not 100% sure is Wal-Mart operated but a whois.org search says it’s registered to “Wal-Mart stores”.

I guess it’s not really such a “secret” anymore if you’re reading about it here. If that’s the case, there’s a good chance people will be camped out for 24 hours in front of Wal-Mart. Heck for all I know people might be lining up there now and I thought the $170 Sears deal with the Toshiba HD-A3 bundled with 7 HD DVD titles was already outrageous. If this $100 HD DVD is for real and if there are no sub-$250 Blu-ray set-top players this, I’m starting to think the High Definition format war is all but over.

Speaking of laptops, the Asus Eee $299 4 GB Flash 512 MB RAM 7″ LCD model is now selling for $399 at full retail cost at Newegg. But that’s a full $100 higher than we were led to believe and we see these outrageous deals with 1GB laptops and large screens selling for $348. I would say there’s no point in buying an Eee unless they can get the price down to what they originally promised unless you absolutely need an ultra-small notebook.

If I were to take a guess based on last year’s experience, you won’t be able to buy one of these laptops unless you show up today no later than 4:00PM with some sleeping bags and get ready to wait 16 hours. Then again Wal-Mart might have more of these in stock and fewer people know about this pre-Black Friday deal so it’s possible you only have to line up 12 hours ahead of time. You can count me out but I would do it in a heartbeat if I were still a starving college student.

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret&utm_source=wmall&utm_medium=all&utm_campaign=holidaygif

Sorry for posting my post can someone merge the threads please?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f94/99-toshiba-hd-dvd-player-more-friday-wal-mart-231026/

Nice. Does the Toshiba support the DVD+R media? If you look here is says that it does not. http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Toshiba%20HD-A2%20HD%20DVD%20player:1994441717:page=details;_ylt=AsS0O3BbDowv7D.nWlA07gHySHAD;_ylu=X3oDMTA5ZW01N2htBHNlYwNiZ3NpYg--

Hmm I just now seen that. I wonder if it will see a DVD+R or RW if it is booktyped?

Right next door to my nearest Wal-Mart is a Best Buy. They have the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player for $198.97. But you also get 5 free HD DVDs with this. If you were to buy those DVDs along with your purchase at Wal-Mart you are going to end up almost the same price.

I plan on renting a lot of HD movies so the Wal-Mart is a good deal for met. I’ll be there tommorrow by 7:00 AM trying to get one.

CLGerow

[QUOTE=clgerow;1921356]Right next door to my nearest Wal-Mart is a Best Buy. They have the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player for $198.97. But you also get 5 free HD DVDs with this. If you were to buy those DVDs along with your purchase at Wal-Mart you are going to end up almost the same price.

I plan on renting a lot of HD movies so the Wal-Mart is a good deal for met. I’ll be there tommorrow by 7:00 AM trying to get one.

CLGerow[/QUOTE]

I found this ass well…Added Content: Buy a XBOX 360 HD-DVD or a Toshiba HD-A2, Toshiba HD-DVD Computer from walmart and get 5 free HD-DVD titles of your choice by mail.

5 HD-DVD’s Offer

So this sweetens the deal even though the HD titles are received by mail. Just print the PDF.

Five HD-DVDs and a player for 98.87, now thats a deal I cannot pass up. I will be at Wallys World first thing in the AM. LOL.:iagree:

No 1080p output, and the format war continuing, even with the 5 free movies, I’m still hesitant.

[QUOTE=r_saotome;1921536]No 1080p output, and the format war continuing, even with the 5 free movies, I’m still hesitant.[/QUOTE]
1080P is the problem with this deal, but heck 1080i is not that bad. OH! Decisions, decisons!:sad::confused:

5 HD-DVD movie are worth 98.87 all by themselves. The player is free. LOL

OK! I’m in for $99+5 free. I will stop by on the way to work and see if they are out yet.:iagree:

Note, Best Buy will also have this player on sale for $99, and some people are planning to get a price match at Circuit City or Sears. So basically, if you strike out at Wal-Mart, there are other options.

And I’m with r_saotome on this, until they start coming out with affordable multi-format players (Blu-Ray + HD-DVD), I’m staying out of the game.

I’ll be checking it out for sure. $99, hell most upconverters cost that much. I know it was about 20 yrs. ago or so, but my first VHS 2 head toploader cost me 10 times that. How times have changed. :iagree:

[QUOTE=ricoman;1921628]I’ll be checking it out for sure. $99, hell most upconverters cost that much. I know it was about 20 yrs. ago or so, but my first VHS 2 head toploader cost me 10 times that. How times have changed. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

PS/ love my ps3 but what a deal for the HD. I will use it in the spare bedroom for that price.:bow:

And from what I’ve been reading at AVSForum, the A2 has better audio output compared with the A3. Lack of 1080p is the only drawback if you consider it to be one.

Went to the WalMart in Pittsburg, CA. Got there at 8:10AM. Couldn’t find the display so I asked a lady that had it in her basket. She said she got the last one. Asked the CSR how many they had to begin with and she said only 10. WTF!?!?!

Same here, I was there at 8;00AM on line, when I got to the counter they were all gone, all 6 of them LOL.:a

I heard Bestbuy is also having secret instore sale for this player for $99 plus free 2 HD-DVD movies (and 5 in the mail). Anybody got one?