Walmart is dropping HD-DVD sales

vbimport

Walmart has announced that they will no longer sell HD-DVD.
Wal-Mart to exclusively sell Blu-ray DVDs - Read the link I provided.

Another bad news for HD DVD. Is this how the industries work right now? Taking sides? Why this way? They use to sell everything they can. No profit?

Thats weird, why should companys drop something if they sell.

Exactly. It doesn’t take a genius to see that the BDA is buying loyalties and then some. I recognize that we are going to be stuck with Blu-Ray but man I sure hope no one is stupid enough to let a Sony dominated format take over from DVD.

I agree with you, but I think their decision was made by their marketing statistics, in case you don’t know Walmart does not have the advantage of returning unsold DVDs to the manufactorer like alot of other large companys, thats how they can sell them so cheap. They have to keep what they buy. A friend of mine that works in Walmarts corporate offices told me that their decision was based on that alone.

This is one of the keys that in my mind would start turning the tide, it is when a major retailer starts choosing sides.

I think I would tend to lean towards the extra layer of copy protection that Blu-ray has a deciding factor right now. The MPAA probably have there noses dug deep in this one. Got to stop those pirates you know.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2001189]I agree with you, but I think their decision was made by their marketing statistics, in case you don’t know Walmart does not have the advantage of returning unsold DVDs to the manufactorer like alot of other large companys, thats how they can sell them so cheap. They have to keep what they buy. A friend of mine that works in Walmarts corporate offices told me that their decision was based on that alone.[/QUOTE]

Their HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray titles are anything but cheap. :wink: Sorry but outside of a clearance sale I would NEVER buy any HD titles from them. Unfortunately the average joe is dumb enough to purchase from them and so this does make a fairly significant impact.