Walmart bait and switch

vbimport

I am a big fan of walmart but they at times do the old bait and switch as my wife called it. Last year I purchase a E601i-A3 60 inch TV and it came with a remote that had a keypad at on the back. This year on black friday they had the 60 in vizio for the same price 688.00. I went and purchased it but the control in the box was cheap no keyboard on the back. I then checked the model number and it was E601-AE3. I contacted Visio through chat line. Visio told me the only difference between the E601-AE3 and the E601-a3 was that the AE3 had the cheap remote. If you right clicked on walmarts black Friday ad it says the tv was the E601-AE3 and the normal price was 998.00. The only place on line you could even find the E601-AE3 was on Visio site or Walmart black Friday ad. Not one place on Walmart, Sams or anyone else site did you see the E601-AE3 model. They were all the E601-A3. Walmart done this before they get in a model that has been cheapen and then sell it comparing it to the price of the full model. THIS IS JUST PLAIN WRONG.
I got the manager to refund me enough money to more than purchase the right remote he even gave me more but the 43 others who purchased the same TV I did not have one of the E601-a3 at home to see that they were getting cheated.

Walmart should have to replace all the remotes with the correct on. Had they said it was a special buy and had they not said you were getting a 998 tv for688 then it would have been fine.

So, you willingly bought a crappy TV at Walmart and it’s somehow their fault? Their ad told you the model number, and that’s what they sold you. You didn’t do your research before buying…

It’s not a secret that Walmart and other retailers sell old / obsolete models, or special degraded models as doorbusters to try to get you into the store with the promise of a “deal”.

Not so I did my research they told me it was the 998 tv and what they sold me was not it was a cheaper model. I know they and others do this but that does not make it right. The 70 dollars they gave me made up for it.

How is it not right? They advertised and sold a E601-AE3. You assumed it was a E601-A3…

Below is the text I saw for that ad. I’ve highlighted the model number.

This season, go big with VIZIO! The E-Series 60" Class Razor LED Smart TV is shattering the mold in a way only VIZIO can, with high-quality design and picture at the best value. Enjoy crystal-clear action and eye-popping images in 1080p Full HD resolution with a 120Hz refresh rate with Smooth Motion. A slim frame design with ultra thin profile makes this a stunning entertainment centerpiece in any living space. VIZIO Internet Apps with built-in WiFi gives you instant access to a world of streaming movies, TV shows, music and more. This 60-inch Razor LED Smart TV gives you more of what you love about TV with all the brilliant picture quality and world-class support you’d expect from America’s LCD HDTV Company.

Note: You must have a source of HD programming in order to take full advantage of the VIZIO LED HDTV. Contact your local cable or satellite TV provider for details on how to upgrade.

VIZIO E601I-A3E 60" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV:
60" LED panel
With a 1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution
True 16:9 aspect ratio
View your movies as the director intended
Wide 176-degree vertical and 176-degree horizontal angles
See a clear picture from anywhere in the room
Built-in digital tuner
Watch digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available
HDMI Inputs: 4
Enjoy a superior HD experience with HDMI, the one cable audio/video solution
60" screen measured diagonally from corner to corner
VIZIO Internet Apps
Instantly enjoy online movies, TV shows, music, apps and more

TV stand sold separately. See all TV stands.

TV mount sold separately. See all TV mounts.

ENERGY STAR®
Products that are ENERGY STAR-qualified prevent greenhouse gas emissions by meeting strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy. The ENERGY STAR name and marks are registered marks owned by the U.S. government, as part of their energy efficiency and environmental activities.

The model you expected (VIZIO E601I-A3) is available at Amazon among other places: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS . Stores often change the feature set and model number. This is often to prevent price matching because they sell a ‘different’ model.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2711352]How is it not right? They advertised and sold a E601-AE3. You assumed it was a E601-A3…[/QUOTE]

No they did not advertise a E601-ae3 they showed only the picture you had to right click to see the model number and when you saw that they said you were getting 998 tv for 688 which is not true. The 998 price is the price for the one everyone has the a3 not the cheaper one that is only a black friday deal. Like I said had they not said it was a 998 tv for 688 then I would have had little to complain about. Walmart must have thought it was wrong to they made up to me with the gift card. Most stores and even Walmart at times will say this is a special buy. Walmart did that with the 32in it says right on the add special buy so you know it is not the same as the one they sell in the store.

Reading online this is what special buy means and since this was not the item walmart had at the 998 price they should have marked it as a special buy. Like I said they did other items like the 32 in but not the 60in

Special buy usually means that the store has gotten them in from the manufacturer 

at a special price they can offer the consumer. it could also mean, that it’s an item
that they don’t normally carry.

Both the A3 and A3E, as I see on Vizio’s site, go for the same price ($999, with the A3–package with expensive remote–on sale for $899 at the moment). So, in that way, it’s not a mistake. And they were (moderately) honest about the difference in models.

Plus, as much as I want to believe store web sites perfectly match up with in-store inventory, I know it’s not like that, and the model with the basic remote has probably actually been on sale in some WalMart stores --as well as other stores – long before now. Ignoring the stores’ role, Vizio could have easily had just as much of a role, since manufacturers themselves have been known to alter feature sets for certain destination markets without making it well known.

But since both models exist on Vizio’s site, with the difference listed in the tech specs… Eh, it’s not totally obvious, so I understand your frustration. All you can do is learn from it and move on! Gotta be careful to go over the fine print with a magnifying glass and get every single question resolved beforehand.

Yes I did some more checking with Vizio and they show them both for that price so it could be Vizio changing there model but again walmart shows only the A3 and everyone one else does. Like I said had Walmart said special buy then I would have known it was not the one they had been selling at 998 but they did not. I keep trying to stay ahead of the things like this that store do but they sometimes put something over on me. Also they made it up to me and then some in the money they gave me I just do not like when stores make you think you getting one thing and you get something else. I would not have even know it but I had already purchase the A3 at walmart. It should have been a3e not ae3 I turn the last two around. the models are a601i-a3 and a601-a3e.

Did some more checking vizio site says the This item is Coming Soon and they do not even have the a601-a3e in the list to register. So there is a good chance walwart did not even know they were getting a different model fro what they had been selling. That also might explain why no one else has it.

Still, <$700 for a 60" TV is pretty good. When you’re buying strictly on price you may have some compromising to do. One compromise is that it’s an edge lit TV.

Does the Vizio remote with the keyboard work with the new E601i-AE3?

I purchased the set at Walmart this week and was also surprised to see the remote w/o a keyboard. I was not clear if you were saying the keyboard remote will work with the model they sold this year. I am hoping that is the case.

Thank you

No need to answer my question. I spoke with a tech support rep at Vizio today who informed me that the qwerty keyboard remote WILL NOT work with the set sold by Walmart on Black Friday. I was told the software in the tv will not allow the keyboard in the remote to work. The only hope is if they include it in a future software update.

I called Walmart and they said I could return the set for the set with the keyboard remote when the store has them back in stock or accept a gift card. Not sure what to do?!?

[QUOTE=sghsqing;2711665]Does the Vizio remote with the keyboard work with the new E601i-AE3?

[/QUOTE]

If you note my last post, I contacted Vizio and they said it will NOT work with the E601i-AE3.

Why oh why do makers do this? Why can’t remotes be completely interchangeable? What’s the value of insisting Toshiba’s “Pressing the Zero” should be different than Panasonic’s or LG’s?

“Watch out! That launches the thermonuclear war!!”

I mean, exactly how many differences can keystrokes mean?!! And WHY BOTHER with any differences?

“Sorry! Our Color Green is the true green. LG’s isn’t! So only OUR remote can affect what your eye perceives!”

Sheesh.

I’m with Christine on the last post.
I have both URC (MX-500 & 600) as well as One-For-All the 10 unit ones I have now are no longer made. They have both learning & macro key capabilites.
Sinve I learned about inputing IR codes on a much older remote before learning capability. I can use the macro input method to use those with the “newer” remotes. Still these vary from unit to unit so I have to figure out the correct ones for eaach unit.
Then there is the opposite problem. When you have more than one of the exact same unit in the same room. Also even units by the same manufacturer. Then the remote works all for the units. Why don’t these manufacturers realize that customers do this & put a selection of the remote code to be used. I had some RCA VCRs that did have 2 channels for this. Very handy.
What I do now is I have some aluminum sheet covers I made to fit the units. I keep all but the one I’m using covered. Only problem is I haven’t found the IR code for “Change IR cover” :smiley: . So I have to do this manually.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711671]Why oh why do makers do this? Why can’t remotes be completely interchangeable? What’s the value of insisting Toshiba’s “Pressing the Zero” should be different than Panasonic’s or LG’s?

“Watch out! That launches the thermonuclear war!!”

I mean, exactly how many differences can keystrokes mean?!! And WHY BOTHER with any differences?

“Sorry! Our Color Green is the true green. LG’s isn’t! So only OUR remote can affect what your eye perceives!”

Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

I think the answer to that is that they make a lot of money out of selling official remotes.

I can appreciate that manufacturers perhaps want to differentiate their brands by have different shaped remotes and putting the buttons in different locations but as you say there’s’ no real reason why certain functions can’t use standard codes.

A bit like having ASCII for remotes I suppose. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=samlar;2711350]Not so I did my research they told me it was the 998 tv and what they sold me was not it was a cheaper model. I know they and others do this but that does not make it right. The 70 dollars they gave me made up for it.[/QUOTE]

I too bought a 60" Vizio TV which Walmart claimed to be 30% off. However when you unpack and plug it in you find that it is not the same as the store model. The undisclosed suffix and a new UPS code on the box hint at the change but who looks at that tiny print or knows what it means. THE major problem is the good panel in the store display has been substituted to a cheap TN type with very poor horizontal and vertical viewing angles. There IS NO WAY a shopper could tell this is the store unless he looked at an original box (not available) and those piled at the front of the store. The TV looks fine sitting head on but even standing or moving a few feet washes out the colors. A really unscrupulous advert by Walmart. This wasn’t 30% but a special buy of a cheap, previously unknown model which was not put on display,

[QUOTE=Wombler;2711751]…they make a lot of money out of selling official remotes.[/QUOTE]
Uh huh. I’m surprised we’re not seeing “signature model remotes” in fact.

“Mr. Zenith signed THIS remote himself - who’ll start the bidding? $5, do I hear $5? What about 4? 3?”

And when I think of how much it costs to store and inventory small parts, sheesh.

That WalMart Bait & Switch Thread - “TV for $600. WIthout the official remote, only $8.”

I love it.

[QUOTE=LDETEX;2711757]I too bought a 60" Vizio TV which Walmart claimed to be 30% off. However when you unpack and plug it in you find that it is not the same as the store model. The undisclosed suffix and a new UPS code on the box hint at the change but who looks at that tiny print or knows what it means. THE major problem is the good panel in the store display has been substituted to a cheap TN type with very poor horizontal and vertical viewing angles. There IS NO WAY a shopper could tell this is the store unless he looked at an original box (not available) and those piled at the front of the store. The TV looks fine sitting head on but even standing or moving a few feet washes out the colors. A really unscrupulous advert by Walmart. This wasn’t 30% but a special buy of a cheap, previously unknown model which was not put on display,[/QUOTE]

I would suggest you call and speak with the manager at the Walmart location from which you purchased the TV.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, that is what I did and they are letting me take back the set I bought on Black Friday and exchange it for the E601i-A3.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711764]Uh huh. I’m surprised we’re not seeing “signature model remotes” in fact.

“Mr. Zenith signed THIS remote himself - who’ll start the bidding? $5, do I hear $5? What about 4? 3?”

And when I think of how much it costs to store and inventory small parts, sheesh.

That WalMart Bait & Switch Thread - “TV for $600. WIthout the official remote, only $8.”

I love it.[/QUOTE]
Have you priced a Logitech remote lately? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=logitech+remote+control&qid=1386122855&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A281407%2Cn%3A172532%2Cn%3A173244%2Cn%3A10967581%2Ck%3Alogitech+remote+control&sort=-price